Sponsored by:

Comment about mixed tires and ? on cheap tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 06:10 PM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveSpeed
If i lived in texas I would only look at max summer tires.
I live in Texas and I only use Michelin's on everything drive - PR2's and Pilot Power for the bikes and Sports for the Carrera.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Mixing tires is bad because you're putting contact patches with different grip properties on the same car...made worse by doing it to a vehicle that's already got some interesting handling quirks due to the engine hanging behind the rear axle.

It's like going skiing with two different models of skis strapped to your feet...or playing basketball with a Nike shoe on the left foot and a Reebok on the right--leads to problems that you might not be prepared for.
Maybe I'll try 2 different skis this winter when I'm up in the White Mtns. I'd tend to agree with you on tires if I was driving at the limit on a track, or flagrantly exceeding posted speed limits all the time(ie. autobahn speeds here in the US), but tires that aren't outdated time wise, with decent tread...nah, I'm not buying it.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:32 PM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Yeah - we are not in Germany running flat out on the autobahn ... in the wet - then for sure i would only go with n-rated. At US highway speeds and even the occasional burst to low triple figures - other options give more value for the money. Of course if money is not an issue and you want to go with the best then upgrade to a 997.2 and PSPs....
Old 09-28-2011, 10:41 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...x-ps2-v12.html

It's true that most of us aren't on the autobahn every day, but if you drive your car like a Honda Civic at all times, what's the point of getting a Porsche in the first place? There's plenty of information available about the disadvantages of mixing tires (there are no advantages), so if y'all choose to ignore it, that's your problem. I've also seen people in this forum claim that summer tires are fine in the winter as long as it's dry (!?!).

Anyway, there's nothing more dangerous than Joe Sixpack driveway engineering something he doesn't know about. You'll never find a tire company engineer that says it's OK to mix tires with different grip properties, sidewall stiffness, tread patterns, etc, and that's good enough for me.

Here's a question: do you guys see a problem with using four different brands of tires on your Porsche? Why or why not?
Old 09-29-2011, 05:36 PM
S Cars
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only use 'N' rated tires.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:51 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The rating is not the issue here. It's the mixed grip.

Keep in mind that each tire manufacture makes a different size 295/30/18. If you don't believe me check for yourself. This in itself can throw off your stability control.

The mixed up compounds in rubber will totally destroy the Porsche handling. You are better off replacing 4 cheap tires then just two.

This way your car will be better balanced with similar grip on all four corners.

Have you guys ever tried driving in snow with only two winter tires? It's the same effect.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:24 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

My response to this is relatively useless for you since you have already made up your mind to mix the tires on your car. If you are only driving on dry roads, at or below about 50 MPH, then going cheap is up to you. Although, I do agree with those above who question why you even own a Porsche in the first place if you need to go cheap and choose off-brand non-spec tires.

Get a Camry.

I know, that sounds arrogant. But mixing tires on a Porsche means you are discounting any value in all the engineering and factory safety recommendations against doing so. I hope those three kids are wearing their seatbelts whenever they ride with you.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:13 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Interesting to read all the responses. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Here's mine.

I have two sets of wheels. One set for the street, one set for the track.

For the track tires, they are always the same brand, always the same R-compound, always bought as a set of 4. The car is driven at the limit, there should be no compromises. I've been doing it since the car was new in 2002.

For the street tires, I buy the cheapest, the one that is on sale, and can have different tires front and rear. I currently have old P-Zeros in front and new Sumi's in the rear. I would NEVER drive this combo on the track. On the street, I would NEVER drive these tires close to their limit. Sure, I'll go over the speed limit, run 75 or more in a 55 zone, maybe take a corner a little faster than I should, but these are nowhere close to these street tires limits. I don't think mixing tires is stupid. I think driving on the street at or close to a street tires limit is stupid. The only place to drive a Porsche like a Porsche should be driven is at the track.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:49 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Some think outside the box, some don't.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:50 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Interesting to read all the responses. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Here's mine.

I have two sets of wheels. One set for the street, one set for the track.

For the track tires, they are always the same brand, always the same R-compound, always bought as a set of 4. The car is driven at the limit, there should be no compromises. I've been doing it since the car was new in 2002.

For the street tires, I buy the cheapest, the one that is on sale, and can have different tires front and rear. I currently have old P-Zeros in front and new Sumi's in the rear. I would NEVER drive this combo on the track. On the street, I would NEVER drive these tires close to their limit. Sure, I'll go over the speed limit, run 75 or more in a 55 zone, maybe take a corner a little faster than I should, but these are nowhere close to these street tires limits. I don't think mixing tires is stupid. I think driving on the street at or close to a street tires limit is stupid. The only place to drive a Porsche like a Porsche should be driven is at the track.
Well said, and I happen to agree. +1

Quick Reply: Comment about mixed tires and ? on cheap tires