Sponsored by:

NC speeding ticket guidance

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:48 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts
Default NC speeding ticket guidance

Guys, I would love to get your help and guidance. My wife got a speeding ticked while driving through our neighborhood today.

She's pretty annoyed as she says that there's no way she was doing the speed she was cited for, but the cop admitted he was there to make examples of people because there have been complaints.

I would appreciate any guidance and attorney recommendations.

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't have specific advice for you or your wife, but was she nailed with the cops radar gun, or did the cop 'witness' her speeding? What is the posted speed limit? So much for Southern hospitality,eh?
Old 09-15-2011, 09:18 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 100 Posts

Since you're in NC you're about to get quite a few advertisements for attorneys in the area. I'd talk to a few and select one that says they can reduce the points to zero and pay a small fine. I had an issue a few years ago while driving through the Charlotte area. I paid the attorney and it all went away. Good luck.

-Shawn
Old 09-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

She's going to call some attorneys today and get some advice.

I've not seen the ticket yet, as I'm away on business and she's vague on specifics. She said something about "probable cause" which suggested it was an observation, but also she said "R-36S", which could be radar.

I'll be back home on Friday and will know more then. Her ticket was for 36 in a 25 zone. She stated that was higher than she was doing.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There have been several speeding related threads of late ... I'm starting to feel like the only rube in the world who just pays the ticket. I don't get many. Maybe one every 5 years or so.

For $100+- ticket -- I just want it done. My testosterone level has fallen to the point where I can't get riled up about truth and justice over a moving violation. No knock on the William Wallace's who stand and fight. That's important in some cases. But the hassle vs. cost ratio just never works out for me, regardless of points.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:46 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Zurichgnome
There have been several speeding related threads of late ... I'm starting to feel like the only rube in the world who just pays the ticket. I don't get many. Maybe one every 5 years or so.

For $100+- ticket -- I just want it done. My testosterone level has fallen to the point where I can't get riled up about truth and justice over a moving violation. No knock on the William Wallace's who stand and fight. That's important in some cases. But the hassle vs. cost ratio just never works out for me, regardless of points.
The problem is the cost of a ticket is no longer just the $100 cost to the courts. It now always involves an increase that is exponentially higher in the form of insurance increases. So even an innocent little mishap ends up costing you thousands in the long run.

Even if you're guilty it's worth fighting so you don't get screwed by your insurance provider.

Last edited by fpena944; 09-15-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 100 Posts

Here in MA the ticket impacts your insurance for quite some time (5 years). That adds up to enough worth fighting for in my book.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Send in the ticket not guilty. Show up at court and ask to plea-bargain it down to a non-speeding violation so it's not reported to the insurance company. Then pay the $150 "driving tax", go home, and put it behind you.

Them's the breaks... doesn't matter if she was really speeding or not. Doesn't matter if it's fair or not. It's a revenue stream for towns. Understand that it's just a monetary transaction and not a personal attack on your wife's driving.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Maybe it's my insurance company, sloppy police reporting or divine intervention but I've never seen an increase on my insurance for a minor moving violation.

I agree that if there is a long-term thousand dollar-plus cost to this, then why not fight. But most companies have a ticket forgiveness policy, especially for long-term clients. Usually the first ticket in a three-year period does not trigger a rate increase (says a relative who works for State Farm), unless it's a DUI or otherwise quite severe.

If doing 10 mph over results in thousands of dollars of additional insurance costs, that seems like a trigger to look for other providers. I'm not sure an insurance company would want to do that. Who knows?
Old 09-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

A good traffic atty knows the DA in Wake County and will negotiate the deal down to less than 9 over, a non moving violation, or get it completely wiped out if she has a clean record.

Email me - I have a name or two who can help you (just dealt with this in Chapel Hill for one of my kids).

eric@bumperplugs.com

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 09-15-2011, 12:25 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

A more local perspective...

If it is her first violation then it is no big deal. She should go to the Wake court house at the appointed time and stand in line. There is no actual court appearance. The writing magistrate will take a look at her record and then, most likely, write it down to less than 11 mph over. She will then owe court costs of around $100. No points.

If she has another recent violation then all bets are off. But the reality is this is an assembly line system. No big deal. A Wake County lawyer will charge you about $300-400 to essentially achieve the same outcome.

And a caveat... there are no guarantees, from either my advice or from a lawyer.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Thanks guys. I appreciate the guidance. In over 20 years of driving this is her first ticket and she is pretty upset. You are correct in that this is more about revenue and punitive impact. Any points is an automatic insurance increase of 45% and that's just disproportionate to the offense and particularly painful on a household of 3 high end cars.

I am in favor of responsible driving and appropriate speed limits, but nowadays I see a total lack of proportionality in speed limits (artificially too low), punitive enforcement and taxation. It's just wrong and no surprise that people get pissed off and fight the tickets.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Thanks guys. I appreciate the guidance. In over 20 years of driving this is her first ticket and she is pretty upset. You are correct in that this is more about revenue and punitive impact. Any points is an automatic insurance increase of 45% and that's just disproportionate to the offense and particularly painful on a household of 3 high end cars.

I am in favor of responsible driving and appropriate speed limits, but nowadays I see a total lack of proportionality in speed limits (artificially too low), punitive enforcement and taxation. It's just wrong and no surprise that people get pissed off and fight the tickets.
A 45% automatic increase for an 11 mph moving violation? That was a time bomb waiting to go off. Time to call GEICO!
Old 09-15-2011, 09:30 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

GEICO is the last insurance company that any enthusiast should have. I remember when they would closely question prospective clients about radar detectors. If you had one you had to prove you disposed of it to get coverage. Granted, that was in the late 1980's, but no cute lizard will make that go away.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:34 PM
ruffyhunting
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zurichgnome
A 45% automatic increase for an 11 mph moving violation? That was a time bomb waiting to go off. Time to call GEICO!
Geico is the worst. They will cancel your insurance if you get two tickets within three years.

Quick Reply: NC speeding ticket guidance