Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Dash Trim Strip Removal- Anyone have experience?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:35 PM
joeycannoli
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dash Trim Strip Removal- Anyone have experience?

Got my new CF strips in the mail today and i am eager to put them on. I was searching for a DIY and stumbled across this on 6speed...

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...tion-tips.html

Is all of this really necessary to just remove these strips? Any easy way to go about this? Any tips or help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2011, 12:41 PM
jeneric996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine. It was a pain in the wrists and very time consuming if you want to remove them from behind. I removed mine and repainted them arctic silver.

You have to remove the glove box which has hidden and hard to reach torx screws. You also have to remove the side vents, instrument cluster and center horseshoe piece and get behind those areas too.

It's doable. Take your time. If you get frustrated, stop and take a 10 minute break.

I had a buy a torx bit that can mount on a 90-degree, small screwdriver device. This was very helpful.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:43 PM
joeycannoli
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for taking the time to post your experience. I really appreciate it.

So basically the proper way to remove them are bolts via the backside of the strips? It does sound kind of time consuming. Although i do have to take the cluster off the install the cluster surround CF piece. Might just make a day project out of this.

Do you have a picture of the tool you purchased?

Thanks so much!
Old 09-14-2011, 02:13 PM
jeneric996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So basically the proper way to remove them are bolts via the backside of the strips?
Yes. On your CF pieces, you should have small holes on the back. Those are where the small torx screws go. You need to gain access behind the dash area to unscrew them from the dash. I also upgraded my instrument cluster so I already had access to most of the area for the two smaller trim pieces.

I don't have a pic of the tool but I got a cheap set at Home Depot for under $10. It was in a small clear plastic case with a red bottom. It contained many different socket bits including the torx bit (forgot which number was needed). You then place a bit in a small rachet that allows a 90-degree angle.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Randyg308
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

good luck! labor intensive to say the least
Old 09-14-2011, 07:17 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Here is my post with pics on renntech:http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...c/page__st__20
Old 09-14-2011, 07:55 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by joeycuccaro
Might just make a day project out of this.
Better plan on a full day.

You're lucky you have a glove box. I don't and ended up using the solder gun method which is not for the faint of heart.

Worth the effort though!

Quick Reply: Dash Trim Strip Removal- Anyone have experience?