Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Any easy way to disable 996 alarm without having issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 03:34 AM
carcster88
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any easy way to disable 996 alarm without having issues?

Car seems to want to go off at around 2AM in the morning. I know there is an issue because the car honks when I lock it...indication of a trigger that has failed in the hood, trunk, or center console. How can I disable the alarm and keep the car locked until I get it scanned for what trigger has failed? Yes, I have an aftermarket stereo...about 6 months ago was installed, the alarm problem started last month so do not think that is what is setting it off. I have searched the forum and just seen you need to get it scanned by Porsche to see what code is pulled up from the scanner to pinpoint the faulty trigger. Looking for advice. Car is unlocked in the garage but need to lock it at work.
The following users liked this post:
chin996 (04-09-2022)
Old 09-06-2011, 03:43 AM
carcster88
Racer

Also, am looking at getting an aftermarket alarm if this thing costs too much to fix the OEM one at the dealer. Anyone with aftermarket alarms have any input? Might be cheaper for me to just get a Clifford or Alpine with more functions than my 2000 OEM alarm than to waste the money at the dealer fixing this one. Suggestions and input are appreciated.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:03 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

When you press the FOB to lock the car does it beep once? If so then you have an open door, trunk, frunk, center console, or radio sensor fault. If it double beeps then you have a motion sensor fault. It does not beep then try press the key fob twice to get a double beep. That will turn off the interior alarm. Ses if that helps.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:21 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

+1 ^^^^ do not put after-market.... I would trouble shoot the limit switches of the hood, deck lid and the center console....
Old 09-06-2011, 12:56 PM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I would still check the aftermarket radio install. There is a wire that connects to the chassis I believe that needs to be taped. I have an aftermarket Alpine installed in mine and I get the single beep (indicating no radio). My alarm would go off by itself randomly, but hasn't done it for about a year now.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:27 AM
carcster88
Racer

Horn beeps once, I would say 70% of the time. I know that is telling me there is an issue with one of the triggers. Right now I leave it unlocked in my garage. Still bugs me as I do not want the battery to die if the alarm goes off at work. I know it will cycle through 5 rotations and then stop. Also, had the aftermarket Kenwood installed for almost a year. Never had an issue till now, that is why I think it is a trigger problem.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:54 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't it lock twice quick disables the alarm?

If you have a center console glove box it is also one of the alarm points so make sure it snapped down tight. The engine lid can sure look closed but just resting as heavy as it is without being latched. Another thing is the IR sensors mounted on the dash could be detecting something like a cat walking on the windshield if you have one of those rodents I mean cute kittys.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:52 AM
function12
Burning Brakes

You need to look around the radio area for a loose wire. I would bet the radio wire has come dislodge from where the installer tucked it away. You should be able to remove the side panels and find it.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:28 PM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carcster88
Horn beeps once, I would say 70% of the time. I know that is telling me there is an issue with one of the triggers.
Check the wire first on the radio. Mine does the same thing.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:06 AM
smorris
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Until you find the issue, lock the car then unlock the car and the car will automatically lock itself after 30sec or so as long as you do not open the door...
that way you can have the car locked at work without the alarm going off.. I have to do the same thing as mine goes off every time the interior heats up... and still does after replacing the interior temp switches. The dealer has about given up and the warranty expires in about 1.5k miles!
Old 09-09-2011, 04:36 AM
carcster88
Racer

Originally Posted by smorris
Until you find the issue, lock the car then unlock the car and the car will automatically lock itself after 30sec or so as long as you do not open the door...
that way you can have the car locked at work without the alarm going off.. I have to do the same thing as mine goes off every time the interior heats up... and still does after replacing the interior temp switches. The dealer has about given up and the warranty expires in about 1.5k miles!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! That was just the info I was looking for until I can get it checked out eventually. You are right, works just like you said. Appreciate it. At least now I don't have to worry about the car alarm going off in the parking garage at work and draining the battery.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:38 AM
smorris
Instructor

Originally Posted by function12
When you press the FOB to lock the car does it beep once? If so then you have an open door, trunk, frunk, center console, or radio sensor fault. If it double beeps then you have a motion sensor fault. It does not beep then try press the key fob twice to get a double beep. That will turn off the interior alarm. Ses if that helps.
So if your horn beebs once when locking your car it is telling you that something is not working!?! I thought the single beep just told you the car alarm was set. when mine had a door/window issue it would beep twice and the red lock light on the dash would stay on.
Is something different on cabs or '02s?
Mine has always beeped once, for all of the 3 yrs I have had it!
Old 09-10-2011, 02:55 AM
smorris
Instructor

Originally Posted by carcster88
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! That was just the info I was looking for until I can get it checked out eventually. You are right, works just like you said. Appreciate it. At least now I don't have to worry about the car alarm going off in the parking garage at work and draining the battery.
Your are welcome! Thought that was your original question... too bad I have a similar unresolved issue that had me wondering too if replacement was the best option!
Post back if you find the issue, I will be doing all of the work on mine here pretty quick and am interested in getting it resolved!
Old 09-10-2011, 01:46 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche-t
I would still check the aftermarket radio install. There is a wire that connects to the chassis I believe that needs to be taped. I have an aftermarket Alpine installed in mine and I get the single beep (indicating no radio). My alarm would go off by itself randomly, but hasn't done it for about a year now.
^^ this is your answer.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:59 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by smorris
So if your horn beebs once when locking your car it is telling you that something is not working!?! I thought the single beep just told you the car alarm was set. when mine had a door/window issue it would beep twice and the red lock light on the dash would stay on.
Is something different on cabs or '02s?
Mine has always beeped once, for all of the 3 yrs I have had it!
If if Beeps once then a zone is not closed (door, hood, frunk, glove box, radio, or center console) If it beeps twice then the interior motion is turned off. Some people with push the micro switch contact out of the way on the center console to make thier car beep. The want it to make a sound. Porsche wants the car to be quite when it arms. There is not other way to make it beep.

Quick Reply: Any easy way to disable 996 alarm without having issues?