Sponsored by:

Passenger side under dash electrical clicking

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 12:14 PM
doogy99
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger side under dash electrical clicking

I'm new here from another forum and found this place while searching for an answer to an issue that arose recently on my 1999 996. I'm a long time Porsche owner going back to the 80's and sorry that my first post here is a problem/question but...here goes.

Overnight the A/C has gone completely hot even though the compressor sounds like its kicking in and the upper freon tube is very cold.

At the same time a electrical clicking sound has appeared under the dash on the passenger side. The sound begins as the key is turned to the on position and lasts only about 5-8 seconds or so. I have found a couple of threads here that reference a similar sound but no clues have been offered yet as to what it may be. I did get some great info so far as to what is located under the dash including some diagrams and a photo posted by Mfletch.

Hope you folks can lend me a hand here. Thank you.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:40 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default click, click

My '99 996 cabrio has the same clicking sound, but my A/C runs nice and cold. I have been assuming the clicking to be some HVAC internal vent door opening or closing. Just my guess.

relinuca
Old 09-05-2011, 12:02 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine makes the same noise and the A/C still works. I'm guessing it might be a recirculation or deflection flap motor.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:52 PM
doogy99
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for responding folks. the noise just started a few days ago and while out driving it this morning I noticed that it clicks at various times now, not just at start up. I guess i can either start taking the dash apart or take it to the shop. Taking it in at first sign of trouble often ends up being less expensive in the long run.

Quick Reply: Passenger side under dash electrical clicking