Sponsored by:

Oil Filter Exam

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 06:53 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Oh yes they do. An engine can shed metal at anytime and especially from new but over time (if the engine is healthy and most are) the amount of metal shed will diminish to almost nothing.

However, if the engine is opened up this increases the chances it will resume shedding some metal though this will be brief (unless the engine was extensively gone through).

Now in the case of the Porsche engines most likely the metal shed will be aluminum since the vast majority of the interior surface of the engine is aluminum.

A piece (loose bit of casting flash) of alum. can drop off -- dislodged by the violence of the oil being thrown about in the engine -- and unless it gets hung up somewhere it will make its way into the sump and then through the pump and during this time it will be smashed into a thin flake and likely broken upon into several smaller yet very thin flakes of metal.

Less likely but a piece of iron/steel can come loose. This can be from a some swarf (from the machining of the engine parts) or a piece of loose metal on one of the steel/iron parts in the engine.

Another material that can show up is some composite plastic material which comes from one of the chain tensioner/guide rails.

Also, the sump can contain some debris/trash that got there from very early in the engine's life, in fact its first start and first time run. Now most of the time this debris/trash stays on the bottom of the sump but under some conditions a piece can get inhaled by the oil pump pickup and of course then it goes through the oil pump and then is directed to the filter. The metal can lodge in the filter or in some case when the engine is shut off and the oil back flows some this can flush some of the metal particles stopped by the filter into the filter housing oil.

Sincerely,

Macster.

+1

PorscheDoc does not know that engines, especially new engines, can shed metal yet he is quick to expertly advise a $1,500.00+ bearing upgrade.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:57 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
+1

PorscheDoc does not know that engines, especially new engines, can shed metal yet he is quick to expertly advise a $1,500.00+ bearing upgrade.

So you guys believe that it is normal to shed flakes that size in a motor? Tiny tiny particles yes, hugely visable flakes like that.....absolutely not. We aren't talking aluminum here, we are talking magnetic flakes.

Not only do I know a bit about these engines, but I have cut open probably 500 or more oil filters as I do on every Porsche oil change that uses a cartridge filter and I can tell you.....it isn't normal to see flakes like that in the engine. I'm just going off real world experience as a professional, and not "what my sources tell me"
Old 08-25-2011, 08:43 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I would worry due to them being magnetic. I had some small flakes in my filter, see this thread, but they were smaller, there were less of them, and I had already done an LNE IMS install.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:15 AM
PILFILR
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Durametric on order... IMS Guardian with be months away... I will start monitoring cam deviation. Anybody know other useful monitoring parameters? If there are...let me hear them. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:56 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Any update on this ?

Many people saw flakes like this but I don't think we ever got an answer on what it really was
Old 02-13-2013, 04:36 PM
ChristopherG
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd check the cam lobes and lifters as first suspect. It's a different motor but I've seen a few 1.8t and VW vr6 motors chew all the way through the top of a lifter. Just from the shape and size it just dosen't look like bearing material.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I think that engine blew up almost two years ago.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:17 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
I think that engine blew up almost two years ago.
are you joking ? or you read that somewhere ?

Doesn't seem like much metal to blow the engine... I am just curious where that could come from as I have seen 3 or 4 thread with the same kind of deposit, they usually are ferrous and not in very large quantities.

I wonder if that is not a result of low oil pressure for those going to the track without the x51 oil baffle...
Old 02-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I checked my filter at 11k oil change, it had blue and yellow paint flakes in it about that size... non-metallic... I chalked it up to assembly marking paint. What do you think?

Hopefully I'm not wrong and in fact it is the final retention layer of an IMSB... ha!

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Exam