Questions regarding front strut install

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 05:54 PM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions regarding front strut install

Hi guys,

I am just in the process of replacing my stock springs with lower H&R springs on my 2000 C2 Convertible. I got it all out, so replacing the spring seems pretty straight forward, with the help of this forum of course.

However, I had a pretty loud rattling noise coming from the front suspension, and I figured it was the upper strut bushing. But that one seems very firm, without any cracks or damages to it. On the other hand the sway bar drop link feels worn. Could that explain the noise, or could it be the shocks that are toast?

Also I am questioning the parts that I took of while removing the spring; does the parts on the picture look ok to you?

They are arranged in the order I THINK I removed them. Two things seems strange; the ball bearing seems to be in two parts, which I would guess will make it more exposed to dirt? And, there is two washers, that look exactly the same. Why is that?

Any input would be very appreciated!

Thanks,

Johan
Old 08-20-2011, 06:23 PM
02TX996Cab
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just completed a complete strut rebuild (upgraded to M030 RoW kit) so am reasonably familiar with the front struts.

If this is the order your parts came out...then the struts were assembled wrong. The two "washers" don't go together; one goes "crown up" on top of the bump stop (you do have the bump stop, right? It's a yellow hard foam rubber thing that keeps the strut from bottoming out hard) and butts up against the hard rubber "fingers" on the triangular strut mounting plate, and the other goes "crown down" right below the fixing nut (21 mm if I recall) and rests against the hard rubber "fingers" on the other side of the triangular strut mounting plate.

As for the rattle...could be the links; worn bushings (there are a lot of them in the front suspension), loose anti-sway bar, or lack of bump stop if it isn't there. Or a myriad of other things. Once I had my strut out I was able to move the wheel carrier up and down; it should move very smoothly and easily, without any noticeable play or rattles of any kind.

Oh, yeah...the bearing does come apart into two pieces as you've shown. I went ahead and cleaned and re-packed this with grease (I used wheel bearing grease) before reassembling the strut. The bearing doesn't spin around in operation but just rotates slightly back and forth as the strut moves up and down.

Good luck.

Last edited by 02TX996Cab; 08-20-2011 at 06:26 PM. Reason: fixed spelling errors
Old 08-20-2011, 10:28 PM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Look at a PET diagram it will show you the correct sequence.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:22 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Looking at the PET / parts manual is a good way to find out you aren't missing any parts also. Front ends have bushings and its nice to be sure none are missing from splitting and being squeezed out. It's downloadable online. 996_USA_KATALOG.PDF would be a good start looking for it.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:26 AM
02TX996Cab
Instructor

Here's a link to an exploded diagram of the front strut: http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...-05/402-00.php It shows correct installation sequence and orientation of all of the front strut parts.

Quick Reply: Questions regarding front strut install