Sponsored by:

Key Fob Wont Work

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 01:10 PM
white99c2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fob Wont Work

I locked the car last night after I got in the driveway, it worked just fine. This morning, push the button and nothing. Changed the battery, opened and closed the engine lid, front trunk and glove box.
I can lock and unlock it with the key but twice the horn beeped out of the fifty times I tried and that leads me to believe the door lock sensor is malfunctioning.
Any ideas?
Old 08-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought ... might try using the valet key if you have one. Mine, at least, allows me to open w/out triggering the alarm. It will not solve the larger problem, but may save your eardrums and your relationship with you neighbors until you do!

May also give some additional insight into diagnosing the problem.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:19 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Probably need to scan the alarm/locking module for fault codes.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:59 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you have a 2nd key you can try? That would rule anything wrong with the car out. Could possibly be the microswitches in the key.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:36 PM
white99c2
Racer

I only have one key. It works fine to lock and unlock as long as I use it as a key. The remote part of it is what granaded.

Dealer is the only option, yes?
Old 08-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a coded key, yes, unfortunately.

If you want a valet key (and man you should have a spare!!!) buy a 996 key blank on ebay and a non electronic key head. Find a local locksmith with a sidewinder cutter (not all have them) and you can make a valet key for about $100 all in.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Nyegaard
Intermediate

From the amazingly knowledable poster over on 911.co.uk called GT4, this apparently has helped people get their fobs going again:

RESET PROCEDURE
Reset by manually unlocking the car door and whilst the key is still in the door, press the button, lock/unlock button. This re-syncs the electronics if it is time that has caused the car to forget the remote.

As the remote uses a rolling code (new code every lock cycle) if the remote sender has been activated more than 256 times and less than 1024 times with the receiver out of range or while the vehicle battery is disconnected the unit must be resynchronized as follows:

- Switch on the ignition (ignition key must have the correct transponder).
- Switch off the ignition.
- Remove the key and press the remote sender button within 6 seconds after the ignition key has been removed
The activation counter will then be reset to zero.

If the fault lies with the remote, you can reset the remote fob's chip by inserting the button battery in reverse (wrong way round) for a couple of seconds. (ie -+, +-)
Old 08-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Try the central lock button on your dash. Sometimes if I'm parked for more than a week, usually the airport as the p-car is my DD, I need to manually unlock the car an then press the center lock button to get my key fob functioning. Has happened twice now.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Nyegaard
Intermediate

After five days the fob will be disabled and you'll need to unlock the car with the key physicaly and, depending on your model year, turn it on with said key within 15 seconds to avoid the alarm going off.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:03 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Some people have reported success by putting the battery in backwards pushing the buttons and then re-inserting the battery correctly.This is supposed to reset "something "in the electronics.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:29 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

After doing all of that buy a new key head (get two so you have a spare for the blade you are going to buy) from Sunset or Suncoast*, they discount Porsche parts, have your closest dealer program it and for only ~$400 USD you will have solved the problem and have two working keys.

*You can also try EBay but make sure the transmitter has the barcode label with it or it can't be programmed.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:22 PM
abgcon
1st Gear

Default key fob

My key fob started to fail intermittantly. Replaced battery, reprogrammed still would not work. Used key to manually lock and unlock door for a while. Finally the door would not stay locked. After six weeks at the dealer they replaced first the PAS module (Porsche access) based on fault codes and not communicating. Still did not work. Then they replaced the ecm (electonic control)module in the door and used the wrong one. Still did not work. Finally got the right module and all is fine except I am out $1200 and my car was gone for almost 6 weeks. If the key doesn't reprogram ask the shop to check the ECM in the door before they go fishing.

Anyone know a good work shop in central North Carolina. It is not the local dealer.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:36 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyegaard
From the amazingly knowledable poster over on 911.co.uk called GT4, this apparently has helped people get their fobs going again:
+1
This did it for me. I tried everything I could find listed on here and reversing the key battery cleared out the old key settings. Simply turn the battery over, let it sit for a few seconds while pushing the buttons (no idea if that part helped or not)

After reinserting correctly, I was able to "re-acquaint" the key with the car and finally program my seat position
Old 11-20-2018, 12:29 AM
911Bound
Track Day

Miller Sport...Chuck the owner is a great, upfront and honest guy. Just bought 1999 966 and Chuck did the PPI. I was so impressed I had them do the IMS, RMS, clutch, flywheel, water pump and AOS.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:34 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Zurichgnome
If you want a coded key, yes, unfortunately.

If you want a valet key (and man you should have a spare!!!) buy a 996 key blank on ebay and a non electronic key head. Find a local locksmith with a sidewinder cutter (not all have them) and you can make a valet key for about $100 all in.
Another option is keysinthepost.com. You take a picture of your blade when you order and they cut a blade for you for ~30 bucks. Then order a fob case on EBAy for $8. you will also need to order a pill and get that coded to your car but generally dealer will do that free. The pill is the like a RFID thingy that allows the car to start.

Quick Reply: Key Fob Wont Work