Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Who was the OEM brake pad supplier for Porsche in 2000? Brembo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 04:41 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Who was the OEM brake pad supplier for Porsche in 2000? Brembo?

I changed the brake pads on my 2000 Carrera this past weekend and was surprised to see the old pads were made by Brembo. I thought these were the original factory pads, the car currently has about 47,000 miles on the odo, however maybe these pads were replacements. I've owned the car since 2005 and I just assumed the pads were original. Does anyone know who Porsche used to supply the pads on the 2000 Carreras?

BTW, the R&R of the old pads was very straightforward although it did take me longer than expected because the old pads backing plates were REALLY stuck to the sheet metal attached to the caliper pistons. In fact, I ended up using a razor blade to seperate the two. Also, the wear sensors were a PITA to remove from the old pads and install in the new pads(Mintex). The wear sensors were especially difficult to install in the notches on the new Mintex rear pads because the notches in the new pads seemed a little too small.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Janusz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On MY2002 the factory pads were Textar.

The new OEM pads from the dealer were also Textar.

When doing brake job I always replace all the hardware (pins, springs, damping pads, caliper bolts if doing rotors) as per factory specs so I never have a problem with damping pads like you did but the trick with wear sensor is that if you intend to reuse them you should slightly push the pistons into caliper first before attempting to pull the sensors from the pads.This way they are not squeezed and held tight in their holes in the pads which makes pulling them out difficult.

If you use OEM pads then the wear sensor holes are always proper size.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:20 PM
alan111
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Changed the f+r pads on my '02 C4 last month and they too were Brembo. I also have the red factory calipers.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:43 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by alan111
Changed the f+r pads on my '02 C4 last month and they too were Brembo. I also have the red factory calipers.
Interesting, I have the standard(Black) calipers on my 2000 and it had Brembo pads.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:53 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by Janusz
On MY2002 the factory pads were Textar.

The new OEM pads from the dealer were also Textar.

When doing brake job I always replace all the hardware (pins, springs, damping pads, caliper bolts if doing rotors) as per factory specs so I never have a problem with damping pads like you did but the trick with wear sensor is that if you intend to reuse them you should slightly push the pistons into caliper first before attempting to pull the sensors from the pads.This way they are not squeezed and held tight in their holes in the pads which makes pulling them out difficult.

If you use OEM pads then the wear sensor holes are always proper size.
I first removed the pads from the calipers before removing the wear sensors but they(sensors) were still difficult to work with IMHO. The wear sensors inserted into the new front Mintex pads fairly easily, however the rear Mintex pads that gave me trouble because it seemed that Mintex didn't make the hole or the notch large enough for the sensors. They did go in but I was not happy with the fit.

I am sure OEM pads would have been easier to work with but I am trying the Mintex pads because I heard they produce less dust. Also, they are cheaper yet still work(supposedly) as well as the OEM pads.

Quick Reply: Who was the OEM brake pad supplier for Porsche in 2000? Brembo?