Tire Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kpl
On the C4 it's important to make sure that the overall diameter front to rear is within spec which I think is 5% but I can't find it at the moment. Don't assume that a 295/30/18 from manufactirer X has the same height as a 295/30/18 from manufactirer Y, and will be within 5% of your front tires.
+1 on this.

If you are ok driving in snow with only two winter tires then go ahead and buy two only.

If you are really budget conscious...buy two.

If you don't care about the way your car handles then buy two.

I would never do it not even on my Family car.

To keep in mind that 80% of those guys who say it makes no difference have no clue!

None of the go ahead and do it guys here have even mentioned matching the softness of the tire compound....is it a 200wear? 400wear?

You should really talk to a Pro...Damien???
Old 10-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spoke to both a local dealer and Tire Rack and both said not to match Pilot Sports with Pilot Sport PS2s. I'm going to go with a new set. Now I just need to review my options!

-Eric
Old 10-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

The pilot super sports are awesome. But sizes are limited.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Pilot Super Sports aren't available yet -- Tire Rack didn't think they'd be available for fitment on the C4S until next year.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:02 AM
rpolin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you guys already know, I wrestled with the same decision for the winter tires with my '02 C4 Cab and i ended up getting a set of 17" turbo twists with Nokian's for the winter driving. The Nokians provide great winter traction but the tires are narrower and obviously you are giving up performance as well but if you are looking to driver her during the winter months, its a safe bet. Don't skimp on winter tires or you'll end up spending a lot more on body work when you are plastered to the side of a tree somewhere on the Merritt during one cold winter day.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:51 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rpolin
Don't skimp on winter tires or you'll end up spending a lot more on body work when you are plastered to the side of a tree somewhere on the Merritt during one cold winter day.
Russel, I'm not looking for a winter tire. I've got snows for my Volvo (which also has AWD) so I'm planning on using it for the Winter months when it gets cold/snowy. Nevertheless, I need to replace the Pilot Sports on the Porsche now because the rears are close to showing their cords.

-Eric
Old 10-14-2011, 07:14 AM
rpolin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it. Let me know what you end up with so you can save me the troubles when i need to get a new set.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:13 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm not a big fan of mixing tires. Under normal operating conditions on the street, it won't matter, but in that one instance where you need the car to perform at the limits to avoid an incident, it could have an impact on handling.

It's a judgment call that each person has to make on their own. I prefer a matched set.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

I'm going with a matched set -- that much is decided. I'm just trying to decide which set!

I'm still waffling between a set of PS2s and the Sumis based on all of the information on Rennlist. Before really researching options I was prepared to buy a set of PS2s.

I've had them, PZeros and S02/S04s on my other cars in the past but I also recently, out of sheer curiosity, tried a set of Khumos just to see what all of the hubbub (good and bad) was about.

My commute is relatively minimal and the Kumhos were so cheap compared to the PS2s (and the PZeros they replaced) that I figured I really had nothing to lose if I wanted to take them off after a season and sell them. At the time, I remember expecting the Khumos to be decent enough to keep but ultimately not worth purchasing again. Much to my surprise, while I think I can tell the difference between the two in every day driving, I'm not sure how much of it is in my head!? The Khumos grip very well in the dry and wet, and they are worlds better than the PZeros they replaced in every way imaginable (noise, comfort, handling). Are they as confidence inspiring as PS2s? No...but they're also communicative enough that I've never feared an unexpected meeting with a tree, for example.

So, my positive experience with the Khumos has me wondering about a set of Sumis for the Porsche which, according to the nice folks at Tire Rack, is a great tire and is about a year ahead of the Khumos in design. While I wish they were n-spec, my only material concern about the Sumis is that the Load Index for the rears of the Michelins and Bridgestones (and even the Kumhos) is 98 (1653lbs) whereas its 94 (1447lbs) for the Sumis and I don’t how to determine the potential impact, if any, of that deviation.

-Eric

Quick Reply: Tire Thoughts