996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

GT3 Swaybar install on C4s (front)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 09:37 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Jyo, I installed the GT2 front bar but did not have the clearance issues so far. It is a tight fit but I assume yours rubbed because your car is lowered? I used the 4th hole in if you count from the end of the bar where the adjusting holes are.

I dont wont my car any lower than stock so maybe it will be OK. There is plenty of up travel but not so much down.

I also measured the stock C4S bar to verify size. It is 24mm. The GT2 is 27mm.

and Alp, stop pi@#$#% on the GT sway bar thread.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:51 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
and Alp, stop pi@#$#% on the GT sway bar thread.
Did you notice whether you were able to get the sway bar ends to lay parallel?

Report back after some miles. Better yet dab some paint or put on some masking tape over your axles and/or sway bar as an indicator to see if it rubs long term over various conditions.

If the bar is working for you, then great.

No pissing involved, although my dad can beat up your dad.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:20 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Yep, spoke too soon. If you turn too sharp it does barely rub. I will either do what Jyo did or use the Eibach and sell the GT2.

I dont have understeer anyway so maybe I dont need it. It will work on a C2 with no mods if anyone wants it before I post it.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:33 PM
alpine003
Banned

You can probably see if the guy that got the rear wants the matching front.

I wouldn't bother with the Eibach's unless you want the same 24mm front bar.

If you're not getting or noticing any under steer, I would leave well enough alone. I would however replace your bushings with new rubber or poly bushings for improved transient response, if they are old or worn.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:23 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Alp, I seem to be having serious oversteer instead of understeer even more so with PSM off. I think tire change from the Mich PS2 295's to the 315's is next.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:00 PM
alpine003
Banned

Alp, I seem to be having serious oversteer instead of understeer even more so with PSM off. I think tire change from the Mich PS2 295's to the 315's is next.
Are you getting oversteer with the GT2 bar or are you back to stock?
Old 02-26-2013, 09:05 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Stock 24mm front bar and 225 40R 18's in front. 295 30R 18 on back. Funny thing is theres zero understeer but loads of oversteer. Feels more like the tires so Im trying the 315's. PSM makes a difference but is less fun.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 103 Posts

Joy--I'm dealing with the same issue you were. I assumed when I first read your post that Tarett had an earlier version of the droplinks that caused this problem and they were updated. Apparently not. The shop that did the install is working with Tarett to reach a satisfactory solution that avoids contact, but I'm annoyed that they billed these as the proper links for this setup only to find out they require modification. I'll keep people informed when a solution is found.

Krazy--Are you running the stock rear bar and the GT2 bar at full stiff up front? Normally that bar is paired with a ~21mm bar in the rear instead of the stock 18.5mm bar on a C2. That's a big difference in front a rear stiffness. It would explain why you're experiencing oversteer. Also, under what conditions are you experiencing oversteer? Street driving?
Old 02-27-2013, 12:36 AM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

From what I remember what is required is a longer offset (spacer) on the link mounting. The owner of the alignment shop races POC so maybe he fabricated something to push the link away from the front driveshaft?
Old 02-27-2013, 11:48 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Uber, its the 24mm stocker up front. Street oversteer, havent tried track. I might go with the 23MM on rear.

Jyo, could you post a photo of part needed or website? Spacer makes sense though.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:20 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jyoteen
I do know that the GT2 bar is actually smaller diameter than the GT3 bar. Technically, you want to just stiffen up the rear so there's less push. I upgraded everything, so it's tough to slice and dice what made the most difference (as the links are heim joints too at the time of sway install), however, the car is truly incredible now (I have the sways front and rear, hollow spoke wheels, RSS LCAs, end links on all corners).

The car now gets into the corner very, very quickly. Before, there was a lot of push and I muscled the car into the corner. I am also running pretty agfressive alignment settings as well (probably too agressive for the street) so the car is very 'darty' and you have to be on your game driving.

The biggest OMG moment was at Sears Point where the car turned in

(this is following the LCA install) rather quickly, which was awesome,
but then as I unwound the steering for a transition, it almost
snapped back too quickly. I got the handle on it after a few laps but
it did surprise me quite a bit.

I love the handling. I have always been a handling person and I realize that the C4s is a 'pig' in the GT3 Porsche world, but I like the ability to nail the throttle and the car just claws out of the turn and now it turns too. Still not crazy nimble like a GT3 would be in a similar situation, but I can chase the best of them.

What settings are you using on the sway bars?
Old 02-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

It's very odd that you'd have any oversteer with the stock setup and those tires. I suppose alignment could be one culprit. Tire pressure is another.

A bigger question is how you're judging under and oversteer on the street. I find very few situations on the street in which I can push the car hard enough to lose traction on either end. With PS2's I would imagine you should be in the same situation. Can you describe the situation in which you're experiencing the oversteer?

Uber, its the 24mm stocker up front. Street oversteer, havent tried track. I might go with the 23MM on rear.

Jyo, could you post a photo of part needed or website? Spacer makes sense though.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:03 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardback
What settings are you using on the sway bars?
I'll take a look at it tonight and report back. I have the alignment settings somewhere as well. Note that I'm running PSS 10 shocks at the one off from the stiffest setting as well.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:39 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
It's very odd that you'd have any oversteer with the stock setup and those tires. I suppose alignment could be one culprit. Tire pressure is another.
Driving style is the other if you're going into corners too hot and half to lift of a bit, but then it's really considered a weight transfer issue with driving.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alpine003
Driving style is the other if you're going into corners too hot and half to lift of a bit, but then it's really considered a weight transfer issue with driving.
I'm not sure where you're driving on the street that you'd have lift in the middle of a turn....

Your description is exactly why I was asking when he experienced the "oversteer". I wouldn't really call what you described oversteer. Unbalancing the car in the middle of a turn can cause all sorts of odd behavior. I typically think of oversteer as situation in which you are at the limits of adhesion in a turn, you add 1% more throttle, and overcome the adhesion in the rear before the front. If that's not what Krazy is experiencing then there may be other things at play instead of "oversteer".

Quick Reply: GT3 Swaybar install on C4s (front)