RMS and IMS. Is it worth the risk

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 09:21 PM
ahoffman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RMS and IMS. Is it worth the risk

Hello All,
Have read much about the potentially devastating financial impact related to either of these issues. Just found a sweet '99 C2 with only 28K miles. Is it worth the risk of purchasing? Especially since the IMS risk is greater with low miles !

I realize this is an issue that has been beaten to death, but I still can't get a clear view of my best move here.

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:27 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It has been beaten to death, but....

I say if you find a sweet car at a sweet price, factor in another $12k as a worst-case cost, and enjoy! Otherwise, I am pretty sure most 996's do NOT have IMS failure, so if you're a gambling man...you get the idea!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:31 PM
ahoffman
Intermediate

Thanks AndyK ! I've been surveying many sites to try to establish a fair price for said car. Dealer is asking 27K. Any known source of realistic worth for a '99 C2 with 28K miles? Is KBB accurate? Thanks
Old 08-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Ericginpa
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say buy it and budget for the IMS upgrade. For the extra money it'll give you piece of mind and then just run the wheels off it.IMO
Old 08-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

On the other hand check out the thread with the 996's with upward of 145K miles.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:00 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes.

Porsche ownership is never inexpensive, no matter how good a deal you get on the car.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ahoffman
Hello All,
Have read much about the potentially devastating financial impact related to either of these issues. Just found a sweet '99 C2 with only 28K miles. Is it worth the risk of purchasing? Especially since the IMS risk is greater with low miles !

I realize this is an issue that has been beaten to death, but I still can't get a clear view of my best move here.
I have spoken with a number of reputable Porsche tuners who have said that the link between low mileage and IMS failure is nothing more than misinformation and myth propagated by fear...contrary to the claims of many. They almost all said there are too few instances of it to know anything for certain and that they have seen IMS failure in cars with low and high mileage. That said, none of them dismissed it as immaterial and all reminded me that it is a real risk...especially if it should happen to you!

FWIW, my C4S Cab is being shipped to me tomorrow and I've decided that the $400 cost of the IMS Guardian is cheap insurance if/until I decide to opt for or am required to install an LN retrofit.

-Eric
Old 08-12-2011, 10:21 PM
vange_c4s
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i believe both will need to be replaced at some time so make sure to plan accordingly. if you like it, and feel it is a good price then you should purchase it and have fun. everyone here has purchased one....
Old 08-12-2011, 10:23 PM
racer
Drifting

Is there a particular draw/appeal for this '99? Seems you could find an '02 (with 3.6 and some say better styling) for the same money? It's often reported on the intenet.. find the Newest and Nicest example you can afford.

Is the appeal the low miles? well, unless you park it, they will only get higher. A 12-13 y/o car with 28000 miles? thats just so unappreciated in my book.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:25 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

buy and be happy... You can watch the oil filter and keep the cash set aside if you need to deal with the IMS.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:38 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 342 Posts

There are many false assumptions, much misinformation, and tons of fear-mongering about the IMS issue. Having said that, I had my (low mileage) IMS and RMS upgraded proactively because I would rather spend a couple of grand foolishly than try to save money and risk the possibility of a $25,000 repair. Many here feel differently.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:48 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Listen, If you are going into the tranny for a clutch or other service item... Then, you are being foolish "not to spend the extra $1000.00" for the IMS/RMS upgrades... BUT, If you are pissing away $1000.00's of dollars on "False Assumptions, misinformation and tons of fear-mongering" before you actually need to get inside the clutch. Then you are just as much a fool as those who spread the above fears... Just my 2 cents!
Old 08-13-2011, 12:15 AM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
I have spoken with a number of reputable Porsche tuners who have said that the link between low mileage and IMS failure is nothing more than misinformation and myth propagated by fear...contrary to the claims of many. They almost all said there are too few instances of it to know anything for certain and that they have seen IMS failure in cars with low and high mileage. That said, none of them dismissed it as immaterial and all reminded me that it is a real risk...especially if it should happen to you!

FWIW, my C4S Cab is being shipped to me tomorrow and I've decided that the $400 cost of the IMS Guardian is cheap insurance if/until I decide to opt for or am required to install an LN retrofit.

-Eric
Great to hear your C4S is on its way....I know you put quite a bit of effort into this and you have been really patient, so truly great news that it paid off and soon you will be enjoying it.

As to the IMS Guardian do you really think of it as insurance? Given all of the traffic here about it and the guarded info, slipping dates, credit towards a repair at a proprietary shop should it NOT prevent a total failure, and that shop seeming quite back logged to perform the complete rebuild should one need the warranty credit..... just not so sure. Perhaps when more is released, including the detection of symptons of other potential failures, it will be easier to determine.

In the meantime enjoy your new ride and I know many of are anxiously awaiting news of its arrival!
Old 08-13-2011, 12:28 AM
nrf
7th Gear

I was in a similar situation a few months ago and decided to purchase a 01 C4 with 21K for around the same price. First thing I did was replace the IMS and RMS. Wasted money? I decided that it was the price of ownership. No regrets.
Oooops I owe some photos.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:49 AM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by silotwo
As to the IMS Guardian do you really think of it as insurance? Given all of the traffic here about it and the guarded info, slipping dates, credit towards a repair at a proprietary shop should it NOT prevent a total failure, and that shop seeming quite back logged to perform the complete rebuild should one need the warranty credit..... just not so sure. Perhaps when more is released, including the detection of symptons of other potential failures, it will be easier to determine.
I'm watching the information on this very closely. For the time being, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. I don't mean to oversell my own faith in this TBD product. I'm not yet sold on it being the be all end all of IMS problems but I also haven't (yet) dismissed it because they've run into some production issues. If August turns into November turns into January turns into...well, you get the idea, then I will start to lose faith. At this point, I'm dismissing the delay to a (bad) decision to share the knowledge of its existence to the world WAY too soon. When I first started reading the thread, I predicted a delay...at least in my own mind.

On this board and on just about any enthusiast board, there are those who are undying in their defense of certain companies and those who malign them for their very existence. I have no experience whatsoever with Flat6Innovations or Jack Raby. I am neither a devoted follower nor a cynic but I am intrigued by his device enough to consider it and maybe I should have said that I am "hopeful" it is insurance.

His statements about a correlation between mileage and IMS certainly contradict the statements of some people with whom I've spoken but, as I said in my earlier post, nobody contradicts the fact that there is such a thing as IMS failure and that it is catastrophic. Certainly for a few hundred bucks, assuming it works, it's cheap insurance even if you/I wouldn't ship my car to GA for the retrofit. I'm looking forward to reading the review in Excellence when it comes out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's the real thing.

-Eric

P.S. Thanks for the congratulations!! I'll be sure to share pictures when it arrives.

Quick Reply: RMS and IMS. Is it worth the risk