Sponsored by:

Any Recs on a Shipper?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any Recs on a Shipper?

I was planning on using DeMoise (awesome price, awesome recommendation from a friend) but they won't have a truck in Northern California until the end of the month! Yikes!

I've read a lot of opinions on Rennlist. Some say Intercity is great. Others not so much. Same is true for a number of others. Any recent experiences -- definite companies to avoid?

Sunday was expensive. A friend recommended AutoBahnUSA based on his use of them on multiple occasions but they were also a little high. I got a great quote from Victory Auto Transport...but who the hell are they?! lol

-Eric
Old 08-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

So, is your deal a done deal other than shipping?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

- PPI Done.
- Payment Sent.
- Seller should receive the wire tomorrow and just needs to confirm.
- I've got scanned copies of the completed and signed copies of the Bill of Sale, Title and Escrow Agreement.
- The car has also been serviced (oil/filter changed, brake fluid flushed, bulb replaced) and is ready for me/shipper to pick it up!

The seller has already called about a couple of follow up items since I sent the wire. The escrow attorney has also reached out so, yes, other than shipping it's done. I hope. lol

-Eric
Old 08-08-2011, 10:46 PM
sbpsu354
Racer

I've used Passport Transport twice. They were owned by Fedex the first time, and independent the second time. I'd used them again, no question
Old 08-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Steve2112
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
I was planning on using DeMoise (awesome price, awesome recommendation from a friend) but they won't have a truck in Northern California until the end of the month! Yikes!

I've read a lot of opinions on Rennlist. Some say Intercity is great. Others not so much. Same is true for a number of others. Any recent experiences -- definite companies to avoid?

Sunday was expensive. A friend recommended AutoBahnUSA based on his use of them on multiple occasions but they were also a little high. I got a great quote from Victory Auto Transport...but who the hell are they?! lol

-Eric
I just shipped my car from Rhode Island to Flat 6 Innovations in Cleveland, GA. I turns out to be 1038 miles or so. I paid 610 each way - the carrier on the way down there was enclosed, but the returning one was exposed to highway chafee like dead bugs and road grime - nothing a good car was doesn't clean up.

If you want contact info for this shipper let me know.

I had the IMSR procedure done there as well as some other new internal parts "since you are in there" type things like a new clutch, installing an over-engineered IMS ceramic setup from LN Engineering, water pump, AOS, Variocam Wear Pads, 2 variocam chains, and all fluids changed. I enjoyed my Flat 6 experience.

Regards,
Steve2112
Old 08-08-2011, 11:56 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Sure, I'm happy to consider any recommended shippers.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:57 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 905 Posts

Do not use Dependable Auto Shippers.

I'd recommend flying out and driving it home. I drove mine roughly 2,200 miles home when I bought it. It was awesome.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:03 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 256 Posts

I can't say enough good things about DeMoise, too bad they are not in NorCal soon enough to use.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:24 AM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

I would LOVE to drive it if I had the time. I really wish DeMoise was an option but I just can't wait until the 25th for a chance to ship the car. I've waited long enough and I can't imagine the dealership agreeing to have it on their lot for another 2-3 weeks.

-Eric
Old 08-09-2011, 01:24 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte

-Eric
I've used Intercity twice and had excellent results both times. The latest was Feb. 2010.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

The thing is that many (most?, all?) shippers use independent contractors to do the hauling, so there is a pot luck factor. I had mine delivered from So. Cal. to WV by DAS. It was the best price and worked out really well (although apparently not for Dennis). I could see the progrss of the trip via internet; they apparently used two drivers because it was on the move nearly continuously and showed up really fast in perfect shape. The are lots of reviews for shippers, really mixed bag, on the web. One quick tip - check with your insurance agent & if you have coverage, don't pay extra for the shipper's. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark I
The thing is that many (most?, all?) shippers use independent contractors to do the hauling, so there is a pot luck factor. I had mine delivered from So. Cal. to WV by DAS. It was the best price and worked out really well (although apparently not for Dennis). I could see the progrss of the trip via internet; they apparently used two drivers because it was on the move nearly continuously and showed up really fast in perfect shape. The are lots of reviews for shippers, really mixed bag, on the web. One quick tip - check with your insurance agent & if you have coverage, don't pay extra for the shipper's. Good luck.
Intercity DOES NOT use independent contractors. They only use their own trucks and drivers. That was one of my concerns too.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

It's done....because of Pebble Beach and all of the car stuff going on in California this month, the carriers are all booked. I went with a recommendation from a dealer friend who suggested AutoBahn USA. They were a little more expensive than DeMoise and less than Intercity but they can pick up the car this week...unlike any of the others who can't get to it until the 25th or later.

-Eric
Old 08-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Partsguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark I
Insurance coverage has always been included in the price of any car I have shipped, not an additional charge. The only extra was a fuel surcharge.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:10 PM
mikes_996
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve2112

I had the IMSR procedure done there as well as some other new internal parts "since you are in there" type things like a new clutch, installing an over-engineered IMS ceramic setup from LN Engineering, water pump, AOS, Variocam Wear Pads, 2 variocam chains, and all fluids changed. I enjoyed my Flat 6 experience.

Regards,
Steve2112
Steve,
Did jake recommend to have the variocam wear pads and chains replaced at the same time of the bearin upgrade? Man, I'll need to asak the indy about that when he gets to replacing mine.. How many miles on yours and did you have to replace the flywheel as well?

Quick Reply: Any Recs on a Shipper?