996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Car wrap tacky?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Axeman
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty amazing how many options they have. I do like the satin black finish, was thinking about doing my wife's 996 in that color.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:02 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

You can do the wrap yourself?? I'd like to see a DIY for that one..
Old 08-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Axeman
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by r1de23
I bet you have to know what you're doing though..but would love to see a DIY.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Rcdevil
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a general quote from stickercity in summer of 2010 for this:

Thank you for your email. Stickercity generally charges about $3100 for a full exterior wrap. Please give me the year make and model just to make sure that it is the right estimate. This price includes the material (about $1000) and $2100 for the installation along with a three year warranty on the installation.
Thank you,

The thing is, the wrap only lasts about 5 years so if your doing a very large section of the car or the whole car then it's not really worth it. Just my .02
Old 08-08-2011, 04:24 PM
ender928
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Seriously just try to do your hood or something like that and you'll see how easy it is.

Originally Posted by Rcdevil
I got a general quote from stickercity in summer of 2010 for this:

Thank you for your email. Stickercity generally charges about $3100 for a full exterior wrap. Please give me the year make and model just to make sure that it is the right estimate. This price includes the material (about $1000) and $2100 for the installation along with a three year warranty on the installation.
Thank you,

The thing is, the wrap only lasts about 5 years so if your doing a very large section of the car or the whole car then it's not really worth it. Just my .02
It is so easy I don't know how they can get away with charging so much. You could do the whole car and save a couple grand. This is just his car very simple to do, took about four hours for hood,roof, and trunk. Materials for this cost $180 and had plenty left over.

Whatever I wrap next I will take a video with steps.
Attached Images    
Old 08-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

ask your self this.....Will it go faster with a wrap? Id spend the $ on performance mods or track time myself but I can see the appeal of temporarily changing the color. Post up some pics when your done....
Old 08-08-2011, 04:55 PM
msweeney
Advanced

There are a ton of DIY videos on youtube. That is what made me think I could it myself. Just search "car wrap". It's amazing what they put it on too. Lambo's, Ferrari's, GT-R's. You name it, it's out there.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:06 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good, how would I do the louvers on the rear wing?

Originally Posted by ender928
Seriously just try to do your hood or something like that and you'll see how easy it is.

It is so easy I don't know how they can get away with charging so much. You could do the whole car and save a couple grand. This is just his car very simple to do, took about four hours for hood,roof, and trunk. Materials for this cost $180 and had plenty left over.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:25 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

If you want to spend $3100 on something that lasts 5 years...you could get a 944.

And you could get it in whatever color you wanted, to boot, as long as it was white, black, or used-to-be-red.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:27 PM
tgt40
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it too, even with the Carrera! Good advice not to add decals though painting or wrapping the car to look similar is one thing, but 'advertising' it as something it isn't will bring about the wrath of the Porsche goddess!
Old 08-09-2011, 02:47 PM
msweeney
Advanced

I'll definitely post pics as the process goes along. Maybe I'll start a DIY thread on how to wrap your car - what NOT to do! I'm mostly worried about the rear wing too. Going to be very tricky. I'm still waiting on a quote for custom colors rather than the stock orange. This may be a winter storage project. Put it away black, take it out in the spring orange. Also, if I come up with some good designs maybe I'll post those up for opinions too. I have to make sure I do this right.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:57 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Ohhh my car would look good in matte black! I bet the biggest pain in the a$$ would be removing all the seals on the windows and between the roof and doors.

Looky..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQgYs...ature=youtu.be

Originally Posted by ender928

Old 08-10-2011, 03:10 AM
Rcdevil
5th Gear

Ohhh my car would look good in matte black! I bet the biggest pain in the a$$ would be removing all the seals on the windows and between the roof and doors.
I've seen them where they don't even do that. It's nbd actually, the only hard type of wrap though is carbon fiber just because you have to lineup the lines of carbon fiber perfectly on the car.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:15 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Well let me add... using an exacto knife near my paint...

Originally Posted by Rcdevil
I've seen them where they don't even do that. It's nbd actually, the only hard type of wrap though is carbon fiber just because you have to lineup the lines of carbon fiber perfectly on the car.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:09 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

go for it. I think it is a great price to change your car color. I think the satin cover is a great choice, change the color but not too much.

I am just worried about what happen to the paint when you remove this thing. all wrap have a disclaimer saying that it may harm your paint over time... scary.

Quick Reply: Car wrap tacky?