996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

After market turbo for $15k

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 10:52 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

OK... here is the real question: Are you sure that your 996 is actually too slow? Have you done any track events? Do you actually know the limits of the car yet? I suspect not.

Most people find that the 996 has plenty of power, that it is the stock suspension holding them back from lowering lap times. Rarely does someone new to Porsche actually need more power.

The flat 6 is not about brute force, but about balance. If it's just big hp numbers you want, you probably should go buy a Corvette or Mustang. Either can give you a V8 with over 500 hp for little money compared to what it will take to achieve similar results in a Porsche.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I wouldn't do it. But I have a question.......here you say your car has 23K miles. On your 'oil indicator...' thread you post a pic of your (I think it yours) odometer that reads 100K + miles. Which is it? Not trying to start anything but......
Old 09-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Partsguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ951
I have turbo charged a few high compression motors, really its all in the tuning and your power goals with an unopened motor. Dont be put off by people that have never done it, talk to a tuner that has and get the real story, of course there is a point it might make it as quick as a Turbo model, but other changes mean its not, like brakes etc.
Sounds like the quick way to melt a motor unless you're only going to run a few lbs of boost. Every turbo engine I've ever played with run 8-9.5 c.r. allowing you to run much higher boost levels.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Partsguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LordVicious
Superchargers are AWESOME ... IF you plan on driving your car north of 200 mph! All that horsepower and virtually NO additional low end torque. In other words ... this prolly aint gonna do what you want it to do.
Completely untrue, the biggest advantage of a supercharger is the boost is instant, no spooling up of the turbo required. Another advantage is the ability to swap pulleys to increase or decrease the boost levels.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:37 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Partsguy
Sounds like the quick way to melt a motor unless you're only going to run a few lbs of boost. Every turbo engine I've ever played with run 8-9.5 c.r. allowing you to run much higher boost levels.
My 1UZFE 10.5:1 compression build ran 25psi fine on 98 RON gas, like I said, its in the tune.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:39 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Completely untrue, the biggest advantage of a supercharger is the boost is instant, no spooling up of the turbo required. Another advantage is the ability to swap pulleys to increase or decrease the boost levels.
I dont really see how changing pulleys is an advantage for the SC when changing boost levels over turbo cars where it can be done with the push of the button in the cabin.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
OK... here is the real question: Are you sure that your 996 is actually too slow? Have you done any track events? Do you actually know the limits of the car yet? I suspect not.

Most people find that the 996 has plenty of power, that it is the stock suspension holding them back from lowering lap times. Rarely does someone new to Porsche actually need more power.

The flat 6 is not about brute force, but about balance. If it's just big hp numbers you want, you probably should go buy a Corvette or Mustang. Either can give you a V8 with over 500 hp for little money compared to what it will take to achieve similar results in a Porsche.
It is not too slow. This was more a question of curiosity to see what others have experienced rather than something I'm considering seriously.

I drove the Corvette and Cobra and while the straight shot speed is greater, the car was bulky and didn't handle well. In other words, it wasn't a "match" in terms of hp and driveability and I didn't feel in control of the car as much as the 911. I'm sure Mustang/Corvette owners will attribute it to me not knowing how to drive those cars properly but that's how I felt and is what drove my decision.

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
I wouldn't do it. But I have a question.......here you say your car has 23K miles. On your 'oil indicator...' thread you post a pic of your (I think it yours) odometer that reads 100K + miles. Which is it? Not trying to start anything but......
That pic is not from my car, I grabbed it off Google images since I tried to take one of my actual car but the parking garage was too dark
Old 09-09-2011, 03:14 PM
LordVicious
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<heavy sigh>
Superchargers provide additional linear boost (linear with engine RPM) so there is no lag in that regard. Please don't confuse lag with throttle response however. I rather assume the original poster is referring to a centrifugal (automotive) supercharger. I'm not exactly sure how a roots type SC could even be properly installed on a mid/rear engine vehicle (although it does bring some comical images to mind.) Also keep in mind that a roots type SC (what back in the day we used to call a "blower") is usually engaged and disengaged as needed. This is most assuredly NOT what the original poster is interested in. A centrifugal supercharger typically does not even begin to generate significant boost until the engine is over 3000 RPM (for obvious reasons.) This is why I specifically referred to "low end torque" being virtually non-existent. In short, superchargers are appropriate for some specific applications. IMHO superchargers are good for airplanes (high altitude internal combustion recyprocating engines) and alcohol fueled dragsters (very high RPM take offs.) If you are looking to just make your car a little more zippy around town then superchargers are wildly inappropriate.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:13 PM
heligear
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't normally get involved in online arguments but LV some of your "facts" are incorrect, a blower cannot be engaged at will, they are driven off the crank usually by a belt drive, the only way to disconnect would be to remove the belt, low end torque is not non-existent in centrifugal superchargers, it is just slower to build than in a roots style, more like a Turbo, they are used a lot in aftermarket kits because they are compact and fit into the tight confines of a modern car more easily. As to superchargers only being appropriate for aircraft and drag racing, they haven't been used in aircraft since the gas turbine engine came into being, as to their viability in modern vehicles, I believe that Audi, Mercrdes, Ford (GT is midengine), Range Rover, GM, Lotus, & Jaguar would all argue against your theory, as they all have current supercharged models, and are hardly innapropriate or out dated. For the OP, most of the mods we put in our cars for street use are not really put to the test in that environment, bigger brakes, coil overs, wings, spoilers,& exaust, are mostly for bragging rights, the stock versions are usually more than adequate for the street, but we all like to play with our toys, altering them is just part of the fun, the turbo and supercharger kits available won't likely ruin your engine, the ones I have seen advertised for the Porsche look to be well engineered and thoroughly tested, in a purely street application you won't likely use it hard enough to break things, on the other hand if you are going to take it to the drag strip, race track, or Texas mile, then you might want to save up for that rebuild, like someone else mentioned here if these kits were regularly blowing their customers cars up, they wouldn't be in business long, if you want it get it. Just my 2 cents worth.

Quick Reply: After market turbo for $15k