Variocam Solenoid Bench Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 10:50 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Variocam Solenoid Bench Test

Assuming a good working solenoid.

How many ohms should I read between the two pins on a variocam solenoid from a 1999 M96-01 (also for a Boxster)?

P/N 996 605 051 58

I understand with 12v applied the solenoid should pop out about 1/8" of an inch and be "stiff", not being able to be depressed.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Another possible failure mode is while the tip does protude the proper distance and while it remains difficult to 'impossible' to depress the problem is that the tip does not remain extended. (An unknown too is how much force the actuator exerts on the tip while the actuator is active? It may be quite a bit more force than one can exert with say his finger.)

For some reason the solenoid is unable to maintain the force to keep the tip fully extended and extended with enough force behind it to resist the pushback from the actuator and this is the same as if the solenoid was deenergized. This allows the actuator to deactivate itself over and over again. Over time this on/off activity wears out the actuator, too, at least the internal. The chain rail plastic pieces on my car's old actuator show zero signs of wear.

I have an old solenoid (and an old actuator) but I do not have a new one. (They are too expensive to buy one just to have it around to study...)

Tomorrow I'll bring the old solenod in and do some electrical checks and report back.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Variocam Solenoid Bench Test