Check Engine Light epic journey

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 04:03 PM
Gordak
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light epic journey

2002 996 cab, belonging to my father,

CEL came on about 4 months ago and used my cheap autozone OBD scanner to find that the car was lean in bank 2.

we noticed that occasionally the car would seem to surge on acceleration, pulling unevenly as you pushed moderatly on the gas. Flat out it seemed to have great power.

The dealer announced that our MAF was bad and we gave the ok to replace it.

about 3 weeks later we got a CEL again, and before I had a chance to scan it, my frustraited dad had dropped the car off at the dealer. They said it was a "different code" and that we needed new coil packs.

I really wish I got the code that time. New coil packs went in and we were back on the road.

2 weeks later and another CEL, this time I got to scanning it in time and found Lean mixture in bank 1 and 2. Two codes, but essentially the same, LEan.

Obviously they are going to want to replace something and give it back to us, but I'm starting to feel like my local porsche dealer has no clue.

Im betting they are going to say 02 sensors since they are running out of expensive and mysterious injection components.

This reminds me of the VW dealer I knew of, who threw parts at things relentlessly. I'd hope Porsche was different.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:43 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have the codes? That would help...
Old 07-31-2011, 05:48 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordak
2002 996 cab, belonging to my father,

CEL came on about 4 months ago and used my cheap autozone OBD scanner to find that the car was lean in bank 2.

we noticed that occasionally the car would seem to surge on acceleration, pulling unevenly as you pushed moderatly on the gas. Flat out it seemed to have great power.

The dealer announced that our MAF was bad and we gave the ok to replace it.

about 3 weeks later we got a CEL again, and before I had a chance to scan it, my frustraited dad had dropped the car off at the dealer. They said it was a "different code" and that we needed new coil packs.

I really wish I got the code that time. New coil packs went in and we were back on the road.

2 weeks later and another CEL, this time I got to scanning it in time and found Lean mixture in bank 1 and 2. Two codes, but essentially the same, LEan.

Obviously they are going to want to replace something and give it back to us, but I'm starting to feel like my local porsche dealer has no clue.

Im betting they are going to say 02 sensors since they are running out of expensive and mysterious injection components.

This reminds me of the VW dealer I knew of, who threw parts at things relentlessly. I'd hope Porsche was different.
Would be nice to know the actual codes.

If the error codes point to the DME reaching its enrichment adjustment thresholds -- meaning the engine would be running lean without this adjustment -- and on both banks this is an intake air leak or a fuel supply/pressure problem. It could have been due to a bad MAF but the new MAF eliminated that.

(Hope you got the old MAF. It is probably good.)

An air leak can be anywhere in the intake system but most often they come from a bad AOS or a cracked oil filler tube or even a leaking oil filler tube cap.

But with the engine's behavior and that the engine runs ok at higher speeds my first guess would be AOS.

OTOH, if error codes are from the DME reaching its lean adjustment meaning the engine would be running rich without this adjustment, this can be leaking injectors or a fuel supply or pressure (overpressure) problem.

Don't get me started on VW service.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:05 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by logray
Do you have the codes? That would help...
Without the actual codes everyone is just guessing and replacing parts.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light epic journey