996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

2001 996 Blue Smoke, blown engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 12:27 AM
2001996c4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all, keep'em coming think I'll sleep tonight.

Rennlist Rocks! Hope to return the favor someday.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:57 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any word yet on the diagnosis?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:29 PM
dallison28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would second the overfill. I always look at the last thing that was done, and in your case, the oil change. Hopefully it's an aos at the very most.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:39 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Most posts with AOS usually exhibit white smoke and lots of it, but some have blue smoke.

Other more expensive reasons for blue smoke can be worn valve guides/seals or worn piston rings. Mine had blue smoke mostly on high RPMs so I removed the heads for a valve job. After 5 totally shot valve guides were replaced and new seals no more blue smoke.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:01 PM
dallison28
Pro

Originally Posted by logray
Most posts with AOS usually exhibit white smoke and lots of it, but some have blue smoke.

Other more expensive reasons for blue smoke can be worn valve guides/seals or worn piston rings. Mine had blue smoke mostly on high RPMs so I removed the heads for a valve job. After 5 totally shot valve guides were replaced and new seals no more blue smoke.
worn valve seals, is this something where if you are coasting down a hill and then at the bottom get on the gas and some smoke comes out?

I have seen a few cars of different makes do this, but i wasn't sure if it was the valve guides.
For some reason i thought that the oil leaked down when off the gas and the burned up as you were getting back on it.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:16 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Yes, high rpm, then off the gas pedal, then blue smoke out the back.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't want you to underestimate your potential problem but...

+ one on the overfill and blue smoke. I know my car was a touch over the max fill line. Porsche dealer told me to drive it off; these cars do burn off oil. I saw a huge plume on my first lapping day shifting hard from 3rd to 4th, near redline.

Car has been fine since. It has burnt off a quart of oil over the season, this incident included.

Fingers crossed for my first all-weekend DE on Saturday...
Old 08-02-2011, 04:39 PM
2001996c4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today's my actual Birthday and I just was given another Porsche! Well figuratively... my car is fine, as many have noted just overfilled with oil during the last oil change. Thank you all for your invaluable help and advice. Feel a little paranoid that I may have over reacted. Maybe too much knowledge about potential engine failures.

Couple issues, for several hundred dollars shouldn't I expect a good independent to add the correct amount of oil during the change? Too happy to be upset with them, but want to make sure my expectations aren't too low. Basically ruined a family vacation and the anniversary of my first drive in the car.

Bigger issue. Dealer... perhaps should remain nameless but. Had the car towed to the dealership where I asked for a diagnosis, honestly fearing the independent may have done something wrong and also hoped if the engine was blown Porsche and dealer might somehow come to my rescue. They couldn't look at it that night, I explained what had happened during my drive as noted in original post, and told them I feared the engine had blown. They knew my fears and put it up on the hoist the following morning. Service advisor said at first all looked good but then the technician saw oil leaking from around the heads. (No puddles in the parking lot at dealer or at roadside or on flat bed, so must have been very little.) He then explained there would be thousands of dollars invested in tearing the engine down to see full extent of the problem. Hey, we have a nice 2004 C4S out on the lot with just 26,000 miles and 6 months on a new crate engine! (More proof 996 blow engines, and mines just another one of them.) Should we have sales contact you? Numb, I said sure never know maybe they'll give me a ton in trade and I'll get steal on a new lower miles "S"! They offered me $9,500 for my car as it sat. (Taking into account it had a blown engine) My car and another $39,000 and I could have the 04' C4S. Glad I didn't have the money or they would have gotten a beautiful C4 with too much oil for $9,500.

Careless I can forgive, that's what my independent is guilty of. (I hope not careless with things like torquing lug bolts or screwing oil drain plugs fully in or ____ or _____ etc.)

But I feel exploited by the dealer, really who I should really be able to trust most. They could have made my day. Maybe the dealer and factory trained Technician should do what those on this forum have suggested. Check for oil and water mixing, does the oil look milky? NO. Are there signs of oil in the coolant tanks? NO. Is there a tell tail sign of RMS failure, big puddle of oil 24 hours after they first saw the car. NO. So we have a concerned owner of an expensive car who just had the oil changed who drove the car hard and it puffed a big blue cloud of smoke. He also has a trace amount of oil around his heads after 10 years and 100,500 miles! We won't tell him it might be an AOS or maybe too much oil, we'll sell sell him a new car!

What do you all think?

And thanks again.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Quix
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001996c4
Today's my actual Birthday and I just was given another Porsche! Well figuratively... my car is fine, as many have noted just overfilled with oil during the last oil change. Thank you all for your invaluable help and advice. Feel a little paranoid that I may have over reacted. Maybe too much knowledge about potential engine failures.

Couple issues, for several hundred dollars shouldn't I expect a good independent to add the correct amount of oil during the change? Too happy to be upset with them, but want to make sure my expectations aren't too low. Basically ruined a family vacation and the anniversary of my first drive in the car.

Bigger issue. Dealer... perhaps should remain nameless but. Had the car towed to the dealership where I asked for a diagnosis, honestly fearing the independent may have done something wrong and also hoped if the engine was blown Porsche and dealer might somehow come to my rescue. They couldn't look at it that night, I explained what had happened during my drive as noted in original post, and told them I feared the engine had blown. They knew my fears and put it up on the hoist the following morning. Service advisor said at first all looked good but then the technician saw oil leaking from around the heads. (No puddles in the parking lot at dealer or at roadside or on flat bed, so must have been very little.) He then explained there would be thousands of dollars invested in tearing the engine down to see full extent of the problem. Hey, we have a nice 2004 C4S out on the lot with just 26,000 miles and 6 months on a new crate engine! (More proof 996 blow engines, and mines just another one of them.) Should we have sales contact you? Numb, I said sure never know maybe they'll give me a ton in trade and I'll get steal on a new lower miles "S"! They offered me $9,500 for my car as it sat. (Taking into account it had a blown engine) My car and another $39,000 and I could have the 04' C4S. Glad I didn't have the money or they would have gotten a beautiful C4 with too much oil for $9,500.

Careless I can forgive, that's what my independent is guilty of. (I hope not careless with things like torquing lug bolts or screwing oil drain plugs fully in or ____ or _____ etc.)

But I feel exploited by the dealer, really who I should really be able to trust most. They could have made my day. Maybe the dealer and factory trained Technician should do what those on this forum have suggested. Check for oil and water mixing, does the oil look milky? NO. Are there signs of oil in the coolant tanks? NO. Is there a tell tail sign of RMS failure, big puddle of oil 24 hours after they first saw the car. NO. So we have a concerned owner of an expensive car who just had the oil changed who drove the car hard and it puffed a big blue cloud of smoke. He also has a trace amount of oil around his heads after 10 years and 100,500 miles! We won't tell him it might be an AOS or maybe too much oil, we'll sell sell him a new car!

What do you all think?

And thanks again.
I think you've just eloquently pointed out the benefits of belonging to, reading and contributing knowledge to RennList!
q
Old 08-02-2011, 06:49 PM
pterfloth
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great news! Doesn't get much better.

Caveat emptor. Forums like this are priceless.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:06 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001996c4

What do you all think?

And thanks again.
great to hear this worked out for you. Shame on your local dealer...you gave him your worst fears and he fed on it. I have no idea where you are located (options on other local PCar dealiers) but I would take a short walk to collect my thoughts then set up a meeting with the store owner or GM. Tell him what happend. Let them make the next step to keep you as a client.
Trust your gut on how they respond.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:23 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad it was not a big problem.

You might consider doing your own oil changes. It's very easy, and then you know it was done right.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Whew!!!

At MINIMUM, you should become a paying Rennlist Member. Help support the community that helps you and others!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Zurichgnome
Whew!!!

At MINIMUM, you should become a paying Rennlist Member. Help support the community that helps you and others!
I would but I do not want to have to sign up for PayPal in order to become a Rennlist Member. If I could just pay by credit card or even mail a check...

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:57 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

WTF is that dealer thinking? Are you serious? I would have a nice long "chat" with the service manager in a closed office... that's for sure.

And definitely change your own oil !!!

Quick Reply: 2001 996 Blue Smoke, blown engine?