Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Just installed my bypass pipes....WOW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 05:38 PM
inviktus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PO of my car had put on bypass pipes. I drove with them for probably two months before I took them off and went to FisterD's. Love the Fisters, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the startup bark of the bypass pipes. (Don't miss the drone at 2500 RPM, tho.)

For whatever it's worth, my wife, who is not a car girl by birth but loves the 996, keeps telling me I should put the bypass pipes back on!
Old 07-30-2011, 02:01 AM
carcster88
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just love the bypass pipes...the reduced weight is a benefit also. No way I was going to pay some obnoxious price for an exhaust that did nothing but give sound. These are not for everyone but they work for me. To me, the sound is priceless....and if you know how to drive when a cop is around...no issues. I do have my OEM exhaust to swap back on with Fabspeed tips on it. Funny thing, the tips cost more than the bypass pipes. Hey, if these things make me smile even wider every time I drive the car..and I can take them off and keep my OEM exhaust....done deal..just saying...and they are not for everyone.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:50 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by carcster88
I just love the bypass pipes...the reduced weight is a benefit also. No way I was going to pay some obnoxious price for an exhaust that did nothing but give sound. These are not for everyone but they work for me. To me, the sound is priceless....and if you know how to drive when a cop is around...no issues. I do have my OEM exhaust to swap back on with Fabspeed tips on it. Funny thing, the tips cost more than the bypass pipes. Hey, if these things make me smile even wider every time I drive the car..and I can take them off and keep my OEM exhaust....done deal..just saying...and they are not for everyone.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your purchase.

Do you notice the loss of low end torque? Dyno tests show these bypass pipes cause a loss of low end torque, because of the lack of back pressure on the engine, however they give a bump in high RPM torque and HP.

I've thought about trying the bypass pipes in the past, at least for AX and DE, but I've decided against them because I really like to get on the throttle on the street when conditions permit. With these pipes I think I would be hesitant to really get on the throttle because everyone for miles around will know. That is one great thing about the muted stock exhaust, when you nail the throttle on the street the sound does not attract too much attention.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:39 PM
Souness
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a muffler shop to install my e-bay bypass pipes this weekend on my 996 C2 Cab. I would have done it myself but I spent three Saturdays trying to get the rusted bolts to budge to no avail. The muffler guys were very impressed by the sound but admitted that even they thought it was too loud (and these guys love loud). I also love a nice throaty exhaust, but I have to say I'm a bit worried for my hearing after driving around town (I'm 23, so this is coming from a young guy).

I've been driving around all day and have to say I have mixed emotions. I really disliked the stock exhaust because it was like driving around in a flashy prius. Driving around with the bypass pipes is like driving a V8 with modified exhaust but twice as loud. I drove next to a new Mustang GT and there was no comparison, the bypass pipes were much louder. At idle it sounds very tame, but give it some gas and it sounds like hellfire exploding from your tailpipes. After driving around a bit, I think it's possible to control the noise level to acceptable levels just by upshifting constantly and staying at or below 2000 rpm.

I went to a friend's house and let him drive it around and his jaw was on the floor, and he had just driven a Lambo earlier in the day at a track event. So there's definitely appeal. We also stopped by a Starbucks and everybody was peering over to see who just parked. As we were sitting there, a Harley pulled in and left and I would say the bypass pipes are not as loud as a Harley, but very close.

My friend talked me into leaving the pipes on for a few weeks to try it out, so I'll have to see if it grows on me. One thing is sure, I'm definitely picking up a lot more attention for better or worse.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:19 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

I'm seriously thinking about putting bypass pipes on my non-daily driver 996C4. Seems like they should be pretty easy to put on and/or remove, no?
Old 09-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Mamut79
Advanced

Guys just a warning about quality of some of the manufacturers of the pipes. A set came in yesterday , and I was hugely disappointed by finish product. Basically the oval tips weren't centered on the bumper line. Either a factory defect or just poor design. I'm in a process of straightening this out. Only way for me to adjust these is to cut the oval tips right after the 90deg elbow and twist them and then weld them back on. If I will be forced to do such a surgery, I'll try to look for turbo tips and weld these on instead of the original ones. They kind of don't fill the cutouts in the bumper well anyway ;(
Old 09-13-2011, 05:49 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Do you notice the loss of low end torque? Dyno tests show these bypass pipes cause a loss of low end torque, because of the lack of back pressure on the engine, however they give a bump in high RPM torque and HP.
Yes, I can definitely feel a loss of low-end torque at very low RPMS (below 2500). I can't say that I notice an increase in top-end hp or torque as the car makes enough power to not nearly matter below 100mph anyways. It doesn't bother me as I do believe you're getting a bit more power overall, but my butt dyno is just a butt dyno.

My ebay bypass pipes don't center up exactly in the bumper holes on one side. No one else has ever noticed though. You get what you pay for, and I didn't pay much so I'm happy.

These aren't hard to take on and off, but squeezing the mufflers in and out of the car sucks. I had no clearance between the inside of the bumper and the engine.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:15 PM
carcster88
Racer

Originally Posted by knfeparty
Yes, I can definitely feel a loss of low-end torque at very low RPMS (below 2500). I can't say that I notice an increase in top-end hp or torque as the car makes enough power to not nearly matter below 100mph anyways. It doesn't bother me as I do believe you're getting a bit more power overall, but my butt dyno is just a butt dyno.

My ebay bypass pipes don't center up exactly in the bumper holes on one side. No one else has ever noticed though. You get what you pay for, and I didn't pay much so I'm happy.

These aren't hard to take on and off, but squeezing the mufflers in and out of the car sucks. I had no clearance between the inside of the bumper and the engine.
I did not really notice any difference in performance with mine. Still love them though. There is a weight difference though. They will stay on my car, but still have the OEM mufflers in the garage.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:37 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So tell us those who have installed these pipes.

can you hear anything anymore? lol.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:57 AM
carcster88
Racer

Originally Posted by logray
So tell us those who have installed these pipes.

can you hear anything anymore? lol.
My hearing is fine.....and the sound from the engine is bliss.

I could spend well over a grand for the Fabspeed exhaust....but why?

This is just my personal opinion and experience with the bypass pipes....and my pipes are not Fabspeed either.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:59 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

It's not really that loud when you're IN the car. It's the poor people you drive by. I stood behind the car in a parking lot and let my g/f hit the gas once or twice and WOW it is deafening. I wouldn't get one in a cabriolet.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:01 AM
Mamut79
Advanced

I agree aswell, its not loud on the inside. As a matter of fact, highway driving at 70-80mph, is perfect humming, just like a porsche should sound.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:30 AM
cpepper95129
Advanced

Let me see if I have this straight...these aren't for everyone but work for you? Might have read that a few times in this thread but wanted to verify.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:09 PM
stavroskon
Advanced

I had mine(custom by pass pipes) for 5 days. Its very very loud outside the car and loud inside. The only video thats describes precisely the bypass sound is this

Its not for every day!!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

No thanks.

How much different would cat bypass be? Tolerable with FisterD'S?

Quick Reply: Just installed my bypass pipes....WOW!!!