Sponsored by:

whats is a great price??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:30 PM
buzzone
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats is a great price??

In my search for a car...I came across a car very close to me , about 20 miles away, Its a '99 996.? with a bad motor about 77K miles. He wants $13K but , so far, no one will step up to that number. My sense is I could do much much better,,, but what is that? LOL. What does $8K sound like? The plan, is to get a motor built by a tuner I have in mind... and go from there. It has Tip trans.. I need for my disability situation...
I am starting to think this might be a way to go? Given , I want to build power anyway... and play with the build and enjoy that part of it. Any suggestions on the offer and what to watch out for in a situation like this?? Blk on Blk Body looks really nice... from pics? Thanks, Buzz

Last edited by buzzone; 07-18-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:03 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, think that a Porsche rebuilt engine goes for +- 23k and go from there after you factor in the engine cost.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:20 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by buzzone
In my search for a car...I came across a car very close to me , about 20 miles away, Its a '99 996.? with a bad motor about 77K miles. He wants $13K but , so far, no one will step up to that number. My sense is I could do much much better,,, but what is that? LOL. What does $8K sound like? The plan, is to get a motor built by a tuner I have in mind... and go from there. It has Tip trans.. I need for my disability situation...
I am starting to think this might be a way to go? Given , I want to build power anyway... and play with the build and enjoy that part of it. Any suggestions on the offer and what to watch out for in a situation like this?? Blk on Blk Body looks really nice... from pics? Thanks, Buzz
A '99 with a dead engine? The car's worth salvage value, roughly $5K maybe less, I am not current on 911 salvage prices.

Price comparable '99's with running engines and with the rest of the car in otherwise reasonable shape.

Here I just did a search at www.autotrader.com. Model year '99 any distance.
I found 195 cars for sale. Highest price $41,500. Lowest price $10,500. Average price $24,245.

Let's assume for the sake of discussion that if the engine were in good shape and the rest of the car in good shape its worth $24,245. (And this is just number, not a statement on what I think the actual market value should be. I am not current on used 911 prices.)

Call your local Porsche dealer and get an estimate for a new engine sourced from the factory, installed by the dealer (to get the full labor/parts warranty).

Subtract this from $24,245. That's what the car's worth.

Or get your favorite indy 911 engine builder to quote you a price for one of his special engines. Subtract this number from $24,245. That's what the car is worth.

Maybe.

With the engine not running you can't check out the rest of the car properly. The Tip may be bad. Or there could be other things that need attending to. A car that old, that many miles, with a blown engine. It may have led a hard life and the rest of the car may be in sorry shape too.

So, really the car is worth its salvage value, if that much.

Look at it this way. I just searched www.autotrader.com for '99 to '02 911s for sale, any distance. I got 605 hits. There are 605 cars for sale and almost every one of them is better than this car because at least they run.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:23 AM
DaveSpeed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cost to replace the engine is probably more than the car is worth. If the car is great and you want to build your own engine then offer $5k.

You could probably get a used engine for $10-12K. Lots of risk in that and may end up with another bad engine in a short time.......
Old 07-19-2011, 10:35 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The tip is a plus for you but not for most. Add a blown motor to the first U.S. model year 996 that received dramatic improvements throughout it's production run, and $5k is all I would spend. And that is if the body is straight with no stories.

Quick Reply: whats is a great price??