Sponsored by:

Cracked Cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:06 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Cracked Cylinders

It is great that LN Engineering has come out with fixes for the IMS problems. I also see reports of cracked cylinders with the 996 engines. While this seems like a smaller issue than the IMS or RMS problems, is there any way during a PPI that one can spot a potential problem with cracked cylinders? Is there a permanent fix (during a rebuild I imagine) for cracked cylinders?

I might be looking at 996s down the road (keeping the 84) but this seems like another problem that will leave you dead on the side of the road with an expensive bill...
Old 07-18-2011, 02:08 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The early model year cars had problems with cracked cylinders, however I believe the problem was not common and even less so on newer years. Be wary of cars with low miles.

Yes LN engineering can "rebore" using Nickies, check out their website. It is expensive though at $4000 just for the sleeving procedure alone and yes that would be considered as about a permanent "fix" as you can currently get.

http://www.lnengineering.com/boxster.html

You can look on this website to see what a dchunk failure looks like:

http://www.flat6innovations.com/engine-failures-illustrated
Old 07-18-2011, 02:21 PM
DaveSpeed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my research that was one of the reason the 2002 moved to the 3.6L engine. It is only the 1999-2001 996 with the 3.4L engine that has the problem.

This is what I was told about the cracked heads, if the car has it you will know either wont start, will not run smooth, oil water mixed. Easy to tell if they are cracked, but you can't tell if its going to happen or not. Higher milage is a good sign that it may not happen, althought I just saw someone who had I believe an 2001 with 70K miles and heads cracked.

The repair if it happens is $8-9K I beleive, but does not require a new engine. Fixable but expensive.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:43 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

You can get a certified 3.4L rebuilt engine from flat 6 innovations for $9k. That might be a better option. This is a potential buyer though, I'm sure we've scared him away by now.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:51 PM
DaveSpeed
Racer

I dont think your getting a full rebuild for $9k, it is more like $18K from flat 6.

I have a 3.4L and I love it! I'm going to drive it till it dies, blows up or I upgrade to a 997 mk2.

Do the scheduled maint and the IMS upgrade and dont worry about what might happen in life.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:04 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Yep $9k is just an engine that has been repaired and certified, no Nickies or internal work past the heads - I do believe it includes a valve job and replacement of a lot of other wear components...

"3.4L engine with 55K miles. This engine experienced a cracked cylinder head and slight intermix. Cylinder heads were removed, the crack was milled away and the area strengthened. Both heads were then fully reconditioned to include resurfacing, valve job, valve springs replaced and etc. Cylinder ... "

His inventory does change of course...
Old 07-18-2011, 06:48 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the info guys... Didn't scare me off, trying to get into the whole water cooled thing after being an air cooled guy for nearly ten years.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:02 PM
996 cab
Advanced

My car (2001) had a cracked cylinder (#2) at about 70k miles. There was excessive coolant consumption, a check engine light and pressure build up in the coolant system. I tore it down before D-chunk failure happened.

About 1 month ago I saw someone on craigslist trying to sell a 2000 carrera with a "fluid level issue". When I emailed him he told me it was a coolant issue...im sure he knew what the real issue was so be careful, there are some real dirtbags out there.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:29 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
It is great that LN Engineering has come out with fixes for the IMS problems. I also see reports of cracked cylinders with the 996 engines. While this seems like a smaller issue than the IMS or RMS problems, is there any way during a PPI that one can spot a potential problem with cracked cylinders? Is there a permanent fix (during a rebuild I imagine) for cracked cylinders?

I might be looking at 996s down the road (keeping the 84) but this seems like another problem that will leave you dead on the side of the road with an expensive bill...
I believe the LNE IMS kit is being sold as a retrofitable upgraded bearing, not as a "fix" in the curative sense.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:03 AM
logray
Three Wheelin'

J beede is correct, in fact even the LN website recommends that it is replaced at interval as a service item... a "design" flaw in the m96 engine. Don't let that scare you though, there are many cars on the road without nary of an understanding what IMS is and they are running perfectly fine above 100k miles or more.

Quick Reply: Cracked Cylinders