Long Distance Purchase Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pl
the big question is, did u PPI the car?

if u are happy with PPI, u and the seller can both fly to bay area over a weekend, finish the transaction face2face.

u may save money and time this way
We're working on the PPI. As for flying in, he's in the UK -- an economy flight to San Francisco probably runs about $1,500-2,000 and the flight time is likely between 16-18hrs. I'm thinking he's happier doing this from abroad and saving himself the time on a plane...as am I for that matter. lol

Originally Posted by Reborn996
Hey Eric, at least you know the car exists and drives under its own power right!

David
YES!!! lol

-Eric
Old 07-20-2011, 05:49 PM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember getting an email from someone that had a 996 Targa for sale, which is what I wanted. Oh, they had moved to the UK, and now were unable to get it shipped to them, because of the cost of import duties and such. They had it all "boxed up" and ready to ship, and would just as easily have it shipped to me in Chicago as to them in the UK.

ALL I needed to do was wire the money to their intermediary. They were using Google Checkout, and the shipping company would drop the car off in Chicago for me to inspect. If I liked the car, the intermediary would send the money to the seller in England. If not, they would return the money to me.

"Don't worry, you will have 7 days to inspect the car." Well, I wanted someone to inspect the car BEFORE I sent them any money. Nope, couldn't do it, because the car was already boxed for shipment. "Really, you can trust me!!!" Yeah, sure. Passed big time on that one.

Then there was another that had a car for sale for cheap money, and told me that it was either sell the car, or have their house foreclosed. Which would you pick? Again, using Google Checkout, again not able to see or inspect the car. Again, I would have 7 days to inspect. Again, I didn't even respond to the email.

You sound like you have made a lot of progress with a reasonable seller. You know that the car exists. A Rennlister has looked at it. Now it's a matter of the PPI, then you should be good to go. These things really do feel scary, but you seem to be moving cautiously. That's the start of a solid, honest purchase.

Now, GIT 'ER DONE, so we can see the pictures!!!!

larry
Old 07-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by larry47us
ALL I needed to do was wire the money to their intermediary
That would have been the deal killer for me.

If I liked the car, the intermediary would send the money to the seller in England. If not, they would return the money to me.
Yeah, because their intermediary has an obligation to you? No, of course not. Oh, and as far as I know Google Checkout is basically like Paypal. Once you release the funds, they are in the seller's hands. You have no ability to retract the funds. They're gone.

"Don't worry, you will have 7 days to inspect the car."
Well, aren't they so nice! "If you don't like it after 7 days of abuse, don't worry...we'll take it back! Why? Because we're good people!" lol

What's that saying about walking and talking like a duck?

Now, GIT 'ER DONE, so we can see the pictures!!!!
I'm working on it!

-Eric
Old 07-22-2011, 12:53 AM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Attorney engaged. Seller agreed to use local counsel I've been using for commercial issues. He's cutting us a great deal...pennies in the grand scheme of things. PPI coming soon! Stay tuned.

-Eric
Old 08-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Would you believe this is still going on? Talk about dying a slow death or dragging on a deal. Possible PPI tomorrow if we can finalize the terms on the escrow tonight. The car is actually sitting at the dealer already so I'm cautiously optimistic.

-Eric
Old 08-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hope this all works out for you. If it does, you will have a great story to share AND a new Porsche. (fingers crossed for you).

Quick Reply: Long Distance Purchase Questions