Sponsored by:

16k for trade-in - Really???

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 11:54 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
I have chosen to just drive mine into the ground. When the engine pops a fuse. I will either, rebuild, buy used n rebuild or call jake. I bought my 99 because it was cheap. Its a nice aero but just turned 130k. I bought 1.5 years ago for 17 with 103k... So what can it possibly be worth right now, 12? its a toy. It was bought as a toy and will be treated as such.
+1. I re-bought my car within the last 1.5 years as well. Good time to buy especially with IMS solutions available. My cost basis has been very low so far - lowest than any of my other Porsches I've owned besides a 914. Anyway, we seem to be in similar circumstance except that I don't consider mine as a toy. Rather, I use mine as a very capable, fun appliance complete with a roof rack, dog bed in the back, and snow tires in the winter.

Back to the OP, I always expect trade-ins to be low ball offers. Unless I really want a certain car and have time-constraints, I don't do trade-ins. One thing I have done several times is that after I get a trade-in offer from the dealer, I have posted on craigslist to sell my car with the following stipulation: highest offer above dealer trade-in by x date gets the car. The last time I did this was a couple of years ago on a 04 Porsche Cayenne - a Cayenne year not very much favored just like early 996s. I ended up getting an offer $5K above the dealer's offer with 3 parties trying to buy the car. Just another option to consider...
Old 07-15-2011, 12:34 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I have chosen to just drive mine into the ground. When the engine pops a fuse. I will either, rebuild, buy used n rebuild or call jake. I bought my 99 because it was cheap. Its a nice aero but just turned 130k. I bought 1.5 years ago for 17 with 103k... So what can it possibly be worth right now, 12? its a toy. It was bought as a toy and will be treated as such.
This is indeed a great attitude and fortunately for us, the basic 911 shape has remained "timeless" where it get's harder to justify paying extra for a relatively marginal improvement.

Enthusiasts are always talking about pumpkins, mk1, mk2, 997, blah blah blah, but at the end of the day, the general public sees it as a "Porsche".

I can't tell you how many times people have gawked at my friend's '01 Boxster. LOL I'm still surprised by this.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:09 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you should sell Privately. You will always get more than a dealer will give you. Its just more work but at the end you can gain 2-3k more in your pocket.

THEN you go back car shopping and negotiate.

Remember, car buying (specially for Porsches) is an emotional thing. Its a want and not a need (for most of us I will hope). So take your time, sell post yours for sale and see what happens.

Good luck
Old 07-15-2011, 01:23 PM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have chosen to just drive mine into the ground. When the engine pops a fuse. I will either, rebuild, buy used n rebuild
For the amount of money that I paid for mine, I will drive it until the floor boards fall out and the parts dismantler will have to come and cut it in half to get it out of the garage.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:27 PM
SacTownGuy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
Enthusiasts are always talking about pumpkins, mk1, mk2, 997, blah blah blah, but at the end of the day, the general public sees it as a "Porsche".

I can't tell you how many times people have gawked at my friend's '01 Boxster. LOL I'm still surprised by this.

Totally agree with both of these statements. 99.9% of people out there do not know the difference between a 996 and a 997 and about 90% don't know the difference between a 911 and a Boxster. Really.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

This is indeed a great attitude and fortunately for us, the basic 911 shape has remained "timeless" where it get's harder to justify paying extra for a relatively marginal improvement.

Couldnt agree more.

Its really nothing more than the guys that own them comparing penises here on this board. And the sad situation of the people that paid a god awful amount of money for the car are now getting a slap in the face with re-sale or trade value. But really show me ANY american car with 130K on it thats is 12 years old and still worth 12+K and runs and looks like my 996.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:06 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
Totally agree with both of these statements. 99.9% of people out there do not know the difference between a 996 and a 997 and about 90% don't know the difference between a 911 and a Boxster. Really.
Couldnt agree more.

Its really nothing more than the guys that own them comparing penises here on this board. And the sad situation of the people that paid a god awful amount of money for the car are now getting a slap in the face with re-sale or trade value. But really show me ANY american car with 130K on it thats is 12 years old and still worth 12+K and runs and looks like my 996.

All of the above is true. My MIL thinks my '99 C4 is a $130k 997.2TT. To be honest, I'm really getting antsy to buy another car--it's been six years since I got my 996--but I just can't come up with a good reason to do so. Going to, say, a 997 isn't going to add much performance, tires will cost about twice as much, I won't feel much of a difference, and if I got a black one nobody would even notice I changed cars.

Quick Reply: 16k for trade-in - Really???