Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Ordering parts - it's always something...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

I have installed 986S clutches in my BoxsterS more than once before without issues including the current one after rebuilding the engine last year. The I.D. of the new disc is about .050 smaller diameter than the 986S disc that came out.

So I take it the 987S disc & pressure plate have been verified to interchange with 986S 6-speed parts?
Old 07-12-2011, 09:03 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I will have to check my specific notes on this when I get home later on tonight. The book specifically recommends using the 987 clutch package - I'm not sure if you can mix and match the disc alone,while using the old pressure plate.

-Wayne
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Why not have your supplier measure the spline I.D. of a 986S clutch disc & compare to a 987S disc?
Old 07-14-2011, 02:43 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

As posted in the Pelican Parts Boxster Forum:

It's highly unlikely that both discs from SACHS are defective. I checked our records and we've had zero returns, and I also called my primary supplier who sells hundreds of these, and he hasn't had a return on them in two years either. There *could* be a problem with the discs, but statistically, it seems unlikely. You mentioned on the phone that the splines on the disc were tighter on the new disc than on the old disc - this is very typical and normal. The disc slides back and forth on the splined shaft of the transmission as a normal part of operation. The disc is designed to wear at the splines (I believe the material is manufactured to specifically be weaker than the mainshaft of the transmission so that you don't wear out your mainshaft), so looseness of the splines is normal. In the book, I recommend using the 987 clutch *package* as an upgrade - you are trying to simply use the 987 clutch *disc*. I am not sure if simply swapping one disc for another will work - I don't know if anyone has tried swapping just the disc. For that matter, I'm not sure what (if any) performance upgrade you will obtain by simply swapping out the disc without upgrading the pressure plate as well.

Conclusion: If you want to use the 987 upgrade on the 986, just get the 3-piece clutch package and it should be a bolt on upgrade. Be sure that you order the 987S package if you have a 986S, and the normal 987 package if you have a non-S 986.

-Wayne
Old 07-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts
As posted in the Pelican Parts Boxster Forum:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts
It's highly unlikely that both discs from SACHS are defective. I checked our records and we've had zero returns, and I also called my primary supplier who sells hundreds of these, and he hasn't had a return on them in two years either. There *could* be a problem with the discs, but statistically, it seems unlikely. You mentioned on the phone that the splines on the disc were tighter on the new disc than on the old disc - this is very typical and normal. The disc slides back and forth on the splined shaft of the transmission as a normal part of operation. The disc is designed to wear at the splines (I believe the material is manufactured to specifically be weaker than the mainshaft of the transmission so that you don't wear out your mainshaft), so looseness of the splines is normal. In the book, I recommend using the 987 clutch *package* as an upgrade - you are trying to simply use the 987 clutch *disc*. I am not sure if simply swapping one disc for another will work - I don't know if anyone has tried swapping just the disc. For that matter, I'm not sure what (if any) performance upgrade you will obtain by simply swapping out the disc without upgrading the pressure plate as well.

Conclusion: If you want to use the 987 upgrade on the 986, just get the 3-piece clutch package and it should be a bolt on upgrade. Be sure that you order the 987S package if you have a 986S, and the normal 987 package if you have a non-S 986.

-Wayne
I told both the customer service reps I talked to that both the disc's
hub I.D. I bought from Pelican are over .050" smaller than a 986S hub I.D. & WILL NOT FIT A 6-SPEED! Since Pelican doesn't sell a 987S 3-piece clutch kit I bought the parts individually costing me over $100 more because I was in too much of a hurry to order out of state & I would have no recourse for return if the parts didn't fit has stated in 101 projects for your Boxster.

Quick Reply: Ordering parts - it's always something...