Sponsored by:

Power blip at 3200rpm

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 05:44 PM
02TX996Cab
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by seanmcr6
If you're on the track..you really shouldn't be in the 3000 rpm range much....keeps the revs higher than that.
+1
Old 07-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Steve2112
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I had an issue when I had just bought my car - then I found an old thread that had the text 3100 in it, and it turned out that was the thread that put me at ease. I wasn't aware that it was normal - I should have known because a long time ago I bought a new 99 Honda Civic Si, which has a VTEC kickover at something like 5600 rpms - some thing here, but lower RPM.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:50 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Yomi
I haven't noticed it at all, but now you're making me want to go for a drive just to test it out. After the last thread about this I tried paying attention during my commute and there was nothing obvious at any RPM in the 3k to 4k range.
WHen you go for your drive and don't find your variocam blip, contact Ed. I am certain he has an extra couple of "variocam blips" tucked away in his garage.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:31 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
WHen you go for your drive and don't find your variocam blip, contact Ed. I am certain he has an extra couple of "variocam blips" tucked away in his garage.

Only for a GT3

When you are driving more aggressivly, track, you won't notice it much.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Yomi
Instructor

Originally Posted by Topaz330ci
Are you serious? There is either a problem with the car or you have to be more observant!!
The car had a full 30k service about 4 months ago including new plugs etc. I just went out for a 15 minute drive doing nothing but 2.5k to 4.5k acceleration in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear. Throttle very light, 25%, 50%, 100% a few times. Tried with PSE on and off. Acceleration is very smooth the whole way. There is no blip or anything that feels like a turbo kicking in. Certainly by 4k the throttle response is much better and I have a lot more power, but there doesn't seem to be any point at which it "comes on."

I've not had the car on a dyno (it's completely stock other than wheels and tires). The only reference point I have is that it seems to do ok at autocrosses (where according to Rennlist / 6speed lore it is supposed to suck).

Edit: well yes, at a track I doubt there'd be too much time under 4k. It's been a while since I've done track days however. During autocross I haven't noticed it either, and do spend time down there on slow corners (never looked at the dash during an run so far, so guessing by speed and sound).
Old 07-04-2011, 10:43 PM
billyboy
Racer

I get the blip at 3200 too (sometimes 2800) but it's less noticeable if I accelerate harder ...
Old 07-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seanmcr6
If you're on the track..you really shouldn't be in the 3000 rpm range much....keeps the revs higher than that.
True.

In my case, we were using the low-end torque just to keep things simple (3rd & 4th) so I did pass through 3200.

It's interesting to me that many cars have the blip and yet some not at all.

To be clear, I'm not describing an ongoing increase in power starting at 3200, but rather a momentary pulse.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:26 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get it too, but only on partial throttle. Anything about say 60% throttle, I can't feel the "pulse".
Old 07-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Targatoo
True.

In my case, we were using the low-end torque just to keep things simple (3rd & 4th) so I did pass through 3200.

To be clear, I'm not describing an ongoing increase in power starting at 3200, but rather a momentary pulse.
I think there are two ways of looking at this. Whenever someone mentions this blip, skip, surge, whatever you want to call it, people always assume and point to variocam.

I understand what variocam is and acts, but sometimes there is another prior blip which is not variocam which I sometimes notice and others have pointed out and got the variocam response. I noticed this never occurs if you have shifted from the previous gear perfectly, gear matched and all. But if you shift to fast and don't gear match and then try to step on it while at lower rpm, you will feel the quick hesitation. So not the shift itself that hesitates, it engages and then a second later it does it... then once at 3000 rpm or a little above the variocam kicks in.

It's weird and hard to explain. But not all cases point to variocam.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Targatoo
True.

I haven't posted here in a long while, just decided to check in. Amazing how this particular topic still comes in. I first read about it 8 years ago !!

Here's the best way for all to feel it. Start a constant speed at @ 2000-2500 RPM in second or better yet third gear on a long smooth straight road, window open, AC off. Then mash that throttle to the floor. At about 3000-3500 RPM, you'll notice 2 things. There will be a split second momentary "lift" as if you let up, followed by a pull stronger than before. There will also be a dfinite change in the exhaust note, most noticeable if you have a sport exhaust set to wide open. That's the variocam plus.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Targatoo
Pro

I guess I could have searched the topic, but I've been kicking around for half a year now and I don't recall seeing it.

thanks all for the feedback!
Old 07-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Yomi
Instructor

Originally Posted by Palting
Here's the best way for all to feel it. Start a constant speed at @ 2000-2500 RPM in second or better yet third gear on a long smooth straight road, window open, AC off. Then mash that throttle to the floor. At about 3000-3500 RPM, you'll notice 2 things. There will be a split second momentary "lift" as if you let up, followed by a pull stronger than before. There will also be a dfinite change in the exhaust note, most noticeable if you have a sport exhaust set to wide open. That's the variocam plus.
I did that exactly, and there was definitely no momentary lift sensation.

Long straight smooth road. Window and sunroof open. AC off. 2500rpm in 2nd, mash throttle. Smooth acceleration (with sloping jerk up through at least 4k). Same in 1st and 3rd. Multiple trials.

Edit: It's possible this is different in my 2004 than on earlier models. It's possible this is something screwy with the C4S (seems unlikely). It's possible this is something that gets smoothed out with tuning and it's not showing up because of my recent 30k service. It's possible this is slightly different with each car, and mine is fortunately almost perfectly smooth. It's possible I just can't feel it because I'm numb or dumb .

Last edited by Yomi; 07-05-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Targatoo
Pro

I'm not talking about a throttle mash, more like a 50% throttle or less; normal city driving.

Quick Reply: Power blip at 3200rpm