Sponsored by:

1999 Cabrio conv top issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 09:42 PM
grooveshack26
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Cabrio conv top issue

Hello, I have recently been having periodic issues with the convertible top closing / activating. I noticed the trim flapper on driverside sometime doesnt activate and im guessing allowing the top to activate and close. Passenger flapper is working fine. When i have had this issue prior i just keep trying till it works. I can put the metal top cover through its paces and allow the windows to go up etc now i have noticed the rear side windows are not responding either even with switch. I;m guessing maybe a micro switch is not working on say the drivers side flap etc ? The power top switch has power as you can close the rear cover and can see a power draw if you hold long enough. This top issue comes and goes so I figure not top motor and the rear quarter windows are not working either. Any ideas etc greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Rodney 99 996 carrera
Old 07-04-2011, 10:57 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had similar problems when my top needed replacement. The problem is probably an alignment/adjustment issue. I guess after 8+ years of opening and closing things get a little out of whack. All of my problems magically went away when I had my top replaced.

Originally Posted by grooveshack26
Hello, I have recently been having periodic issues with the convertible top closing / activating. I noticed the trim flapper on driverside sometime doesnt activate and im guessing allowing the top to activate and close. Passenger flapper is working fine. When i have had this issue prior i just keep trying till it works. I can put the metal top cover through its paces and allow the windows to go up etc now i have noticed the rear side windows are not responding either even with switch. I;m guessing maybe a micro switch is not working on say the drivers side flap etc ? The power top switch has power as you can close the rear cover and can see a power draw if you hold long enough. This top issue comes and goes so I figure not top motor and the rear quarter windows are not working either. Any ideas etc greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Rodney 99 996 carrera
Old 07-04-2011, 08:51 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Lube your rear spiral gears for the flaps and that will take care of that issue. For the windows, check to make sure the plastic covering on the top latch is still there and the tip is not broken off.

http://docwilenracing.wordpress.com/...96-cab-repair/
Old 07-04-2011, 09:35 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

If you still have problems after the above check the hydraulic fluid level too.

Quick Reply: 1999 Cabrio conv top issue