Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Issue with P253 camshaft timing tool (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/641790-issue-with-p253-camshaft-timing-tool.html)

vza 10-06-2018 11:27 PM

99 Boxster Base ...don't know whats up with the FW lock, it 's for a 99 boxster base...bolt did not thread easily. I wanted to check the cam timing with the P253 and was also going to use to hold the cams...Pelican said it was fine.??. Worked on it some today...I was able to get it to click in both cams after much jockeying around. But still was not able to bolt it to the case ....holes didn't line up. Went over to bank 1 and was able to hold with my left hand while turning the crank and felt it click in at the same spot bank 2 did.....and...was not able to bolt bank 1 either. Now the interesting thing is, that both sides do click in but not at TDC ....after they're in it seems I'm a few degrees after TDC on both sides. Now how are both cams out of sync at the same exact place(few degrees beyond TDC) I can only think the tool is off if its measuring the same for both sides and it can't ever be attached to the case. Now ...when I picked up the car (after purchase) I drove it home for 2 hours in this same condition.... I'm hoping there isn't any damaging effects if it is in fact out. Didn't notice any oddities in driving it. Any thoughts....trying to curb my obsession!! Thanks Again. V

Noz1974 10-08-2018 03:51 PM

V I think your doing something wrong the tool fits right on no problem, it attaches above the cylinder head so it's on the same side as the valve cover , you weren't trying to attach it under neath were you as your engine is still in the car might seem natural to do it that way , the slotted part of the tool should go in the exhaust can not the inlet, if not maybe the tool is off I dunno , when at tdc the notches look like they are inline with the edge of the valve cover where it meets the head.
Also vario chain ramps need cam removal as the mechanism is in between the cams
You might be able to get away with just locking TDC and taking out the chain twnsioners on a five chain to do the ims not sure maybe others will chime in , RMS should be ok

vza 10-08-2018 04:19 PM

Yes, I'm doing all correct as mentioned. At TDC the notches are lined up w the seams on the cam cover( as well as I can see), Slotted end of tool in Exhaust cam,Diamond end of tool up in the intake, Not too sure what you mean about attaching it underneath. The tool is going in but not locked at TDC a few degrees after on both cams and I can't bolt it to the case. It seems unlikely that both cams are out at the exact same spot, thats why I'm thinking the tool is off. Like I said I was doing this just to check timing before I proceed. I will have the cam lock tool for the IMS, curious to see if that fits at TDC....if it does then it would seem the tool is off. Correct??Thanks V