Sponsored by:

Finally installed Fabspeed cats

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 01:14 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally installed Fabspeed cats

After a couple weeks of sitting in the box, I finally installed some Fabspeed Mark 1 200 Cel performance cats into my 04 C4S. These are the install notes, with pics...and a sound clip vid at the end.

First. I freakn LOVE my iPhone! From it's little light, ability to focus and shoot pics and ids in small spaces, etc...it has helped me a lot when working on a car that I'm not already "intimate" with. It's like having a small vid scope at your disposal. It's almost my most used tool!

Second. The internet is awesome, but it can't tell you everything. For the life of me, I could NOT get my MAF off. All the instructions I've been able to find say to squeeze the sides but mine wouldn't budge. iPhone to the rescue. So if your MAF looks like this:

The the button is underneath the plug. Press HERE:

Here she is...airbox out There is more room with it out, but not TOO much!

Again, with the iPhone, I can take pics of where the O2 sensors are plugged in, makes reassembly almost foolproof.

Old cats are out....notice the 911 standard face down, *** up pose

old vs new cats

Installed...sorry for the crappy pic, while the iphone takes excellent photos, my body was shot at this point...

Beer time, no bloody knuckles!

and here is a quick video of what she sounded like on the first startup

http://vimeo.com/25356538

This took me 4 hours to complete....because I had never done it before...and because when I installed the new cats, I put the wrong one in first, which required me to completely remove in and install again in the correct order. Doh!

I'd also like to know what German engineer thought it was a good idea to make exhaust gaskets out of razor blades?!

I like the sound and on the test on the highway last night, I had no drone at all. Throttle feels a hair more responsive. Acceleration down low "feels" improved. Butt dyno or just placebo effect...but it sounds real nice

sean
Old 06-21-2011, 03:13 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 111 Posts

Looks nice and sounds great.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:04 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you use the existing O2 sensors? If so, why did you disconnect them instead of unscrewing them from the stock cats, leave them hang, then screw them back in?
Old 06-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Good job man!

Are you going to keep or sell the old cats?

In the first pic, It looks like you have the 911 Sport Classic white color!
Old 06-21-2011, 04:15 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Optical TDI
Did you use the existing O2 sensors? If so, why did you disconnect them instead of unscrewing them from the stock cats, leave them hang, then screw them back in?
if you leave them connected and screw them on, youll have a twisted cable....
take them completely off, screw them on, then reconnect them.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:33 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

I managed to unscrew one while installed....last summer when I was going to change my headers. Then I realized unscrewing the other ones was going to be a HUGE pain in the ***. Removing the airbox is 1 bolt. once it's out, unplugging the O2 hookups is DEAD SIMPLE. I managed to remove all four and document their hookup for reassembly faster than it took me to unscrew the one O2 sensor.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:09 AM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dude, I've already had one too many beers, but I'm going to crack another one. I'm seriously going to miss those sounds... hope the install notes I sent over made it easier. CHEERS and nice work!!!!

Quick Reply: Finally installed Fabspeed cats