Sponsored by:

My AOS adventure...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 10:29 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Wow you're an inspiration for me to get this done!

Did you need to order any other parts for this job aside from the AOS? I know your alternator has issues now but for the core job was anything else needed? I wanted to make sure I had all parts on hand before giving this a try.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:44 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

I only thing I ordered was the AOS and an oil filler tube w/ o-ring. I know most people replace the intake manifold gaskets but I opted out. Mine were still in good shape anyway. Prepare to break little plastic tabs on various connectors and clamps. Some were fairly brittle. It doesn't really matter though, its a car not an airplane. Feel free to message me with any questions once you drive into the project. I found the entire replacement very easy and accessible after moving a few components out of the way. Good Luck.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by r1de23
By the way... Is there a way to bench test the AOS? Mine looked in good shape. No leaks or torn boot.
No bench test I can think of. I cut a bad one apart with a fine pitch hacksaw blade fitted in a hacksaw and found the canvas/rubber diaphram inside the large flat/round housing had a tear/crack in it from I suspect material fatigue.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:40 AM
rb101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a BMFH (Big Mother F'n Hammer) and hit the old AOS a few times, it will come apart. Mine had a small tear in the internal rubber baffle.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:48 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Oh I am fully aware of the BFH.. I was an aircraft mechanic for years. How else do you think we fixed airplanes?!?
Old 05-18-2011, 07:06 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Well, I got the new harness today. It should be a huge pain in the a** since the connectors are too large to fit through the right side intake manifold....
Old 05-18-2011, 08:12 PM
9 lives
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by r1de23
I started 4 hours ago and I'm done (minus the wire harness replacement).....
Hmmm, 4 hours for an airplane mechanic should equal about 12 for the layman with a set of pliers and slot screw driver in his arsenal
Old 05-18-2011, 08:25 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by 9 lives
Hmmm, 4 hours for an airplane mechanic should equal about 12 for the layman with a set of pliers and slot screw driver in his arsenal
Your going to need more tools than that. You really only need a couple screw drivers (common and Philips) a socket set (shallow and deep well) with 7mm - 15mm, 3/8 extensions (two 6 in), 1/4 extensions (one 3-4 inch) and a pair of pliers or adjustable pliers for the AOS boot.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:42 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Tack 2hours on the re-install. I had to remove the passenger side intake manifold to fit the new harness back in... Total 6-7 hours.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:19 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Oh well....about 2 miles before getting home I was stopped at a red light. The idle started to fluctuate unusually weird and as I left in the rear view mirror...white smoke. I immediately pulled over and turned off the engine upon further inspection I didnt see any oil or coolant dripping. So I started the car up again and white smoke, oil pressure held, temperature remained stable...so i coasted home.

I did the test where I tried to pull of the oil cap (on tight and air sucking when removed) and the car almost died...soooo AOS replacement this weekend. Im just thankful for Rennlist and these DIY tutorials..
Old 11-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

+1
Old 11-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Kazual99
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The people one the forum are top notch.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aben8057
Oh well....about 2 miles before getting home I was stopped at a red light. The idle started to fluctuate unusually weird and as I left in the rear view mirror...white smoke. I immediately pulled over and turned off the engine upon further inspection I didnt see any oil or coolant dripping. So I started the car up again and white smoke, oil pressure held, temperature remained stable...so i coasted home.

I did the test where I tried to pull of the oil cap (on tight and air sucking when removed) and the car almost died...soooo AOS replacement this weekend. Im just thankful for Rennlist and these DIY tutorials..
Keep us in the loop with your AOS replacement...I'm guessing mine will be needing one in the near future too.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:45 AM
aben8057
Drifting

Just an Update:

I reviewed all the DIY post on Rennlist and Renntech in which I developed my own plan of attack. The DIY on Renntech has you removing the air pump, coolant tank and alternator in order to get to the AOS. The DIY on Rennlist has you removing the manifold without removing any of those components. My approach was a hypbrid of the two in which I only removed the alternator. I removed the alternator in order to get more access to the manifold bolts by sliding my hands underneath the manifold. I was able to reach the far back bolt without any issues or loss of patience. This was an ideal time to also check the belt for any cracks as the serpentine belt needs to be removed.

The project from start to finish took approximately 5 hours and some of the key points to point out are:
-Patience…have plenty of it
-Make sure the AOS is seated correctly and grease the grommet prior to installing.
-Do not over tighten any bolts as they will strip
-Make sure the couplers on the intake manifold are aligned correctly (I had them misaligned which caused severe backfire when I restarted)
-Extensions to get to the AOS bolts
-Use a regular hose clamp when reinstalling the bellows
-The AOS i ordered from Porsche comes with the bellow ($135 with PCA discount)
-And finally patience….

Links for reference:

Renntech: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...placement-aos/
Rennlist: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...separator.html
Old 11-11-2011, 12:44 PM
dsowen
Advanced

Have any of you who track your cars considered replacing the AOS with the motorsports version? (Here at Suncoast for $730: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...ry_Code=996Oil

I had my car in recently for clutch, DMF, IMSR and found the AOS to be leaking a bit. My indy recommended waiting for it to fail and then upgrading to the motorsports version. I do DEs and am on the slippery slope...., but I'm not sure this is a worthwhile upgrade, especially given its expense. What do you all think?

In any case this will be a DIY, so thanks Alex for the procedural notes.

David

Quick Reply: My AOS adventure...