Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 12:57 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Sunroof Drain

Hey guys,

Do I need to remove the evap equipment, in the fender, to access the passenger-front sunroof drain?

I have water accumulating in the passenger footwell. Since I'm not using the A/C during this time of year, I assume it's the sunroof drain.

Thanks,

Derek
Old 05-05-2011, 01:07 PM
MG944
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your battery box for rust and corrosion first. Pour some water in it with the battery out and see what happens. Then you can dry it up with paper towels or a sponge. If not that THEN pour water down the sunroof drain.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:08 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't forget, your defroster also uses the AC system.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:14 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
Hey guys,

Do I need to remove the evap equipment, in the fender, to access the passenger-front sunroof drain?

I have water accumulating in the passenger footwell. Since I'm not using the A/C during this time of year, I assume it's the sunroof drain.

Thanks,

Derek

The 996 climate control system runs the A/C compressor 24/7 unless the OAT is below ~35F, the engine is not running, or you manually turn it off. In this latter case turning it off manually often does not keep it from running, unbeknown to you, in defrost/defog/demist mode.

The sunroof drains can be cleared from the sunroof area. Plastic coated steel wire/cable.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:31 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks guys.

The words "rust" and "corrosion" sent shivers down my spine.

I have to be honest, I was in disbelieve when I found the carpet soaking wet. That was one of the many reasons I decided to upgrade; so that I don't have these silly issues!

I can hear my 951 laughing from the garage.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:33 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by wwest
The 996 climate control system runs the A/C compressor 24/7 unless the OAT is below ~35F, the engine is not running, or you manually turn it off. In this latter case turning it off manually often does not keep it from running, unbeknown to you, in defrost/defog/demist mode.

The sunroof drains can be cleared from the sunroof area. Plastic coated steel wire/cable.

Thanks for the info.

9 times out of 10 I make sure the snowflake is off. We're in the high 40s, low 50s, most of the day.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:26 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

you've seen this I guess....

Old 05-05-2011, 04:36 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes, thanks! Always good to have it in the post, regardless
Old 05-08-2011, 02:11 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Exclamation

Great news, I took out the battery to inspect the battery box to find shiny, rust-free metal (see photos).

I took the opportunity to clean the rubber grommets and thoroughly inspect the area.

After I was done, I went to the sunroof. I poured a bit of water in the passenger side drain to find not one drop of water come out from under the car (!?). But, I could hear the water draining somewhere.

A quick peak at the passenger floor mat revealed a stream of water entering the cabin!!

I went under the dash to find the drain tube disconnected and pointed right at the floor. (See last photo).

I couldn't reach up to connect it, but I'm hoping that by removing the glove box, I'll have enough access to get my hands back there.

( Thanks to my girlfriend for taking the photos )
Attached Images       
Old 01-21-2015, 02:18 PM
choogenboom
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning 996 C4 sunroof drains

I found water in my rear passenger side seat and floor. I found a good post here describing how to access the rear drain tubes by pulling back the rear of the headliner. Some things I learned:
  1. The picture showing sunroof drain tubes on this page is incomplete and incorrect. There are drains on BOTH rear corners of the sunroof. I can't speak for the front drains as I did not check them but guessing there must be two in front as well. This makes sense otherwise the sunroof gutter could overflow if the car was parked on a angle with the passenger side up slope.
  2. Another post described cleaning the drains with plastic coated wire. Guessing that person was "guessing" as I do not see how that could work. I blew my drain tubes out with compressed air after first verifying that the tube on the wet side was in fact fully blocked. Worked like a charm.
  3. There is a approx 4" wide plastic reinforcement running the length of the back of the headliner which has fingers that engage slots in the roof. Pull that entire plastic piece back to disengage the fingers and be able to drop the rear of the headliner down and you'll have complete access to the drain tubes.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:44 AM
Oskat
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
Great news, I took out the battery to inspect the battery box to find shiny, rust-free metal (see photos).

I took the opportunity to clean the rubber grommets and thoroughly inspect the area.

After I was done, I went to the sunroof. I poured a bit of water in the passenger side drain to find not one drop of water come out from under the car (!?). But, I could hear the water draining somewhere.

A quick peak at the passenger floor mat revealed a stream of water entering the cabin!!

I went under the dash to find the drain tube disconnected and pointed right at the floor. (See last photo).

I couldn't reach up to connect it, but I'm hoping that by removing the glove box, I'll have enough access to get my hands back there.

( Thanks to my girlfriend for taking the photos )
Hi,
I’ve noticed the same problem by using an inspection camera. I know this thread is old but I’m curious to know if removing the glove box solved the problem so that you could reach to reconnect the tube?

Quick Reply: Sunroof Drain