Sponsored by:

A/C compressor Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Navy'sporsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C compressor Reliability

I have a leak in my Evaporator and will be replacing it along with the receiver/dryer. Any opinions on whether I should replace my 94,000 mi compressor and condensors?
Old 05-02-2011, 09:47 AM
rb101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there not bad, why replace them? It's not like you have to pull the evaporator again to replace the condensers or compressor. I have 118K miles on mine, still works great.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:10 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

+1... replace as it breaks on the compressor, Im sure its an expensive piece.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Navy'sporsche
I have a leak in my Evaporator and will be replacing it along with the receiver/dryer. Any opinions on whether I should replace my 94,000 mi compressor and condensors?
If it ain't fixed don't break it. Or something like that.

From what I have gathered the compressor is quite robust and long lived. (More directly, my experience is with my 02 Boxster's compressor which is the original compressor and working just fine and the car's going on 242K miles.)

The biggest risk to the compressor comes from using the A/C with low or missing refrigerant.

In this case the compressor rans sans the proper lubrication (the oil in the A/C system is carried by the refrigerant).

Yet another variation of the above, is if the leak is at the right or wrong place along with the refrigerant the compressor oil can leak out to which means there is insufficient oil to lube the compressor even if there was any refrigerant to carry it along.

Be sure you have the A/C system properly evacuated and checked for leaks after the hardware is replaced and then the system refilled with the proper amount and type of refrigerant and compressor oil and the system checked for leaks again. This takes time to do right. IIRC the system is placed under a vacuum for 30 minutes, then the filling takes place.

Afterwards, the A/C's performance can be tested by setting the controls a specific way -- mainly to max cool -- and the exit air temp at the vents measured. (A digital cooking thermometer works great for this.) At a given ambient air temp the exit air temp should be within a certain range. I don't have the numbers handy but if you need them I might be able to dig them up.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

The A/C compressor on my '99 C2 seized and failed at 10 years and 46,000 miles, so they are not forever, nor perfectly bullet proof.

But, I agree with the others that if is isn't broken, don't fix it (unless you are referring to the IMSB). Usually A/C compressors last a very long time. Perhaps it is just because I live in Florida and the A/C compressor runs all the time year 'round.

Quick Reply: A/C compressor Reliability