Sponsored by:

oil filter wrench size?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 06:15 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default oil filter wrench size?

Want to hit pep boys tomorrow and get a filter canister wrench. I'm tired of the "slip" wrench. They say they have two sizes. Anyone know what the size is ours takes? Would do Paragon or Sunset no problem but want to knock this out Sunday if possible. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:42 PM
02TX996Cab
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

74mm x 14 flutes/flats. Also, make sure you have the correct drive wrench/socket for the canister wrench you buy. (The Porsche factory one requires a 27mm socket.)

Pep Boys or other car parts dealers should have el cheapo plastic or thin metal ones. If the housing is torqued on correctly (19 ft-lbs) then these should work fine. If a "gorilla" overtorqued the housing on last oil change, then the el cheapos may not be meaty enough.

Good luck.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:24 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks 02TX996Cab,
Pep Boys had a 74MM but the flutes were off by one. Of course.
Will get the right wrench through the mail this week and tackle it next weekend. I put the filter on myself and I believe I just hand tightened it. Maybe I used the slip wrench but I'm not a gorilla. My wife would say I'm an ***!
I'm really excited about graduating beyond the "slip" wrench. Man do I hate that thing. It's the only unpleasant part of an oil change.
Wish they could mold about a 19ML nut on the end of that filter. I picked 19 'cause we all have one for wheels. Then we could more easily get to these filters. Probably over thinking it.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:52 AM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 28 Posts

Get the LN Engineering spin-on oil filter adapter bundle. End of problem.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:16 AM
Cefalu
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a plastic one and it does slip when trying to unscrew. I have a strap wrench so I use it instead. I also like to unroll my filter media to inspect between oil changes, and with a spin on filter it becomes more complicated to inspect the media. I have heard that someone sells a filter cutter to open a spin on filter but the factory filter is fine. I would bite the bullet and get a good quality metal socket

Quick Reply: oil filter wrench size?