Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Porsche dealer oil change, three bars low, bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 10:59 PM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Porsche dealer oil change, three bars low, bad?

My 2003 C4 cab got the 30k Porsche dealer visit, which included oil & lube. The electronic display shows the oil 3 bars low from the top, but well within the range of normal. Traditionally, my car's electronic oil gauge always showed all bars, topped up. My car has no evidence of burning oil, even after 9k miles.

Would you have a concern and follow up with the dealer, or if you were on the upper half of the gauge, within normal, be ok with this? On the plus side, I am within Porsche's normal designation, and it does validate that there isn't excess oil, either. Still, a new condition in my ownership of this 911.

Otherwise, car is running beyond great, looking great, and getting occasional compliments! I bought two new Lloyd Mats to keep the interior looking sharp, and we are having a stunning weekend here in Tucson to enjoy my 2003 with the top down. 3.5 years into ownership, my 911 is a complete joy to drive!

This morning, looking for an excuse to take it out, I went to a pet store and bought supplies for the Golden Retriever!

Thoughts?

John
Old 04-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Are you checking the gauge on the dash when the motor is cold (like first start of the day)? Or after a hour drive? Most accurate is on first start up.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:31 PM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the car to full temp, turn off, park and check about 10-15 minutes later as I have always done in the past... And check the electronic gauge on the dash... Until now it was all bars high, now 3 bars low from max, but within min/max rande.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

errr uhhh 10-15 maybe not long enough. watch when doing a cold start. no problem as long as dip stick says full when cold. i've had low digital readings after the amount of times you mention. just go off cold after draining and dripping if complete.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:53 AM
cardsrule
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John, I bet they didn't check it and under filled it. Sometimes if the car is hot when you do the oil change (especially with the 9x7 cars) you have to wait up to 50 minutes to check and most times you don't have the time if its a waiter. I would put a 1/4 of a qt in and see if it goes up a bar.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:02 AM
02TX996Cab
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Double-check the oil level using the old-fashioned dipstick. If that shows the oil level to be within the factory operating range, you're fine and there would be no reason to distrust the dealer. If the level's below factory minimums...possibly different story.

Maxing out the oil fill isn't necessarily better than filling within the factory limits. Not as bad as being underfilled, but still not recommended. It is quite possible the tech who serviced you car paid extra attention to oil level (or just plain got "lucky").

Quick Reply: Porsche dealer oil change, three bars low, bad?