Sponsored by:

Ignition range reset

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 06:13 AM
Diablo911
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition range reset

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all, new to the forum

I own a 996 turbo, but the Mrs has a C2 which is fantastic.

The Mrs has been a silent watcher on this forum for a while now, I had a questions to ask so thought this would be the perfect time for us to sign up.

I'm currently in the process of selling my 996 turbo for a used 997 turbo which i have paid the deposit for ( can't wait). I had a few people come down and look at my 996, however they were detered because of the values in Range 1 and Range 2. This beats me as i've only but pampered the car!

What is the best way for me reset this? I've herd softronic is the key but i'm not sure where or how I can purchase this?

If anyone can help, we would be very greatful
Old 04-15-2011, 08:59 AM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

wouldn't that be cheating!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

With all due respect sir, I think you may be in the wrong place to ask how to cover up things to a perspective buyer. What are the Range 1/2 Values?
Old 04-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

You have to change out the ECU. Only Bosch have the internal software to re-set these ranges, engine hours, serial numbers etc. I don't believe even the dealer level has access to 'alter' data - just transfer it to a new ECU. The ECU uses a Siemens C16x based CPU - at least on the 7.1 ver in Porsche's between 2002 and 2006. Companies such as GIAC have cracked the C++ code used to write to the motronic eprom where the engine mapping is stored. The info you would need to access and change (not erase) is located in a area on a surface mount chip - not the flash memory eprom that contains the engine operation. Bosch use an access code to unlock the firmware to enable updating. Most programs such as GIAC don't need to access this section of the Motronic system to alter commands to the engine - hence no one wastes their time. The program is locked out for consumer protection but also for proprietary reasons.

However...

There is one company that *claims* they sell a device that plugs into the OB2 port that can read the keylog and display it. In theory this key allows you to change/rest all fuctions including the displays kms/miles. From what I understand - to use this tool would be illegal - but it is sold in Europe for more then $1200 euro.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:24 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
With all due respect sir, I think you may be in the wrong place to ask how to cover up things to a perspective buyer. What are the Range 1/2 Values?
+1

Unfortunately it can be done.. but you won't get this information from here.

This engine speed is not exceeded when the vehicle is driven normally. However, driving and operating problems (e.g. “changing to the wrong gear” on vehicles with manual transmission) or manipulation (e.g. tuning) can cause the maximum permitted engine speed to be exceeded when the vehicle is driven.
Overspeed events are stored in the DME control unit. The following values are also recorded:
- Number of ignition attempts in each overspeed range 1), and,
- Status of the hourmeter during the last overspeed event 2).
1) Overspeed range = Defined rev ranges with classification of expected engine damage, e.g. engine damage possible, ... probable, ... very probable, engine damage has generally occurred; see section ⇒ 'Rev ranges'.
2) For technical reasons, overspeed events are entered in a preset time interval. As a result, there may be entries in a higher rev range (e.g. range 2), while no entries are stored in the lower range.

Typical faults and symptoms as a result of overspeed events may include the following:

* Damaged valves and/or pistons (impact marks on the valve, valve impressions on the piston, valve bent).
* Cylinder liner damage (even “piston seizure”).
* Damaged or displaced connecting rod bearings.
* Loosened or loose fastening screw(s) on the crankshaft pulley.
* Loosened or loose fastening screw(s) on the camshaft gear.
* Loosened or loose connecting rod bolts.
* Cracked timing chain(s).
* Changed timing.
* Irreparably damaged clutch elements (pressure plate and/or drive plate).
* Vibrations and/or engine imbalance due to irreparably damaged clutch elements.
* Vibrations around the transmission.
* Defective synchronisation.

If such faults or symptoms are present together with engine damage, the VAL that was created must be checked for overspeed entries.
If overspeed entries are found and if the difference between the current hourmeter and the status when the last overspeed event was recorded is less than 50 operating hours, there is a high probability that the damage was caused by overspeed event(s).
The value “50 operating hours” should be seen as a guide. The possibility of engine damage occurring much later due to previous overspeed event(s) cannot be ruled out.

DME stores number of ignitions over 6 ranges of rpm for the 997s and 2 ranges for the 996s and the operating hours of the overrev occurrence.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Closed.

Quick Reply: Ignition range reset