Sponsored by:

Replacing AOS Tomorrow and have a question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:58 PM
jkcorradovr6
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
I know that everyone says that the AOS on a car with a tip cannot be removed/replaced from the top, but has anyone actually attempted it? Just curious... I would love to do my AOS from the top!
I have never messed with a tip, but from what I can assume is that the bell housing is much bigger and wider than the manual transmission. I would believe that you could still access the AOS from the top, but getting to the lower accordion hose and the two 10 mm may be impossible from underneath. Dropping the motor is probably the best bet or at least removing the transmission to gain access. Although I would not remove that trans w/o a lift and trans jack, I cannot imagine how much it weighs.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:02 PM
jkcorradovr6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tbred911
anybody know what the benefit of a "motorsport" AOS is ?
I would assume it's for people who drive their cars in "extreme conditions" aka track cars. Probably doing many laps around a track for many hours at high speeds where temps get really hot.. I would imagine doing this often would signifcantly decrease the longevity of an OEM AOS.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:01 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbred911
anybody know what the benefit of a "motorsport" AOS is ?
Isn't it like 4 times the cost of the stock AOS?
Old 04-15-2011, 03:01 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jkcorradovr6
I would assume it's for people who drive their cars in "extreme conditions" aka track cars. Probably doing many laps around a track for many hours at high speeds where temps get really hot.. I would imagine doing this often would signifcantly decrease the longevity of an OEM AOS.
Hey what part of Philly do you live in?
Old 04-15-2011, 01:27 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by jkcorradovr6
I have never messed with a tip, but from what I can assume is that the bell housing is much bigger and wider than the manual transmission. I would believe that you could still access the AOS from the top, but getting to the lower accordion hose and the two 10 mm may be impossible from underneath. Dropping the motor is probably the best bet or at least removing the transmission to gain access. Although I would not remove that trans w/o a lift and trans jack, I cannot imagine how much it weighs.
I think that the bellows can be reached- I can see it readily enough with the car in the air. The 2 10mm are the issue. Anyone have a diagram from PET? I would just as soon not pull everything if I don't have to...
Old 04-16-2011, 03:19 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm not sure of access from the top on a TIP but don't see why it can't be done just like a manual. From the bottom, the tranny really needs to be removed. Lower the tranny/engine a little, drop the tranny and it's right there.
I can't imagine replacing the AOS on a TIP without removing it...
Old 04-16-2011, 10:59 PM
jkcorradovr6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by r1de23
Hey what part of Philly do you live in?
Just moved out of Northern Liberties, living in Yardley now which is in the burbs.

Quick Reply: Replacing AOS Tomorrow and have a question