Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Any targa owners using RS engine mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:40 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any targa owners using RS engine mounts?

Just curious how if they cause too much vibration for the targa top when open. I notice more "bouncing" of the top now that I have the RoW M030 suspension.

I'm not sure how much it can take.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:14 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't have a targa, so consider this a bump. But... I can't imagine it would be a problem. What little vibration there is when you're rolling seems to me to be too high frequency to excite your targa top. And honestly, at idle, I could barely tell the difference in vibration with my RS mounts. Rattle-wise, it's a far, far, FAR less risky upgrade than your M030. It's a brilliant upgrade. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Add a SSK to your suspension and motor mounts, and that 996 will be transformed.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:50 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

This is a good question. I do not have a targa either. I installed the RS mounts a couple weeks ago myself. The mounts will stiffen the rear of the car up significantly. Ive noticed very small increase in vibration which is only noticable while the car warms up. My passenger seat and fire extinguisher shake more than before. No big deal really. My concern would be the roads you drive on. In Miami we have construction everywhere. When I drive over expansion joints at mid or high speed the rear will bounce a little as the motor is screwed to the chassis now. Im getting a big clunk when I drive over abrupt bumps. Not sure if its the rear window or sunroof making this sound but I dont like it. Im not trying to discourage you but the large glass roof will get jarred over sharp bumps. This would be a concern for me if I owned a targa. If I cant isolate and solve this issue with my car I'll probably go back to the stock mounts. I would speak to your indy or dealer about this mod before proceeding.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great read. thanks.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:38 PM
Braden996
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are peoples thought on installing these on a cabriolet...??
Old 03-31-2011, 09:52 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Braden996
What are peoples thought on installing these on a cabriolet...??
As an arrogant SOB coupe owner, I question the need or desire for those motor mounts on either a Targa or a Cabriolet. If your current motor mounts are still healthy, why ruin a good thing?
M030 RoW suspension? Absolutely! This is the suspension Porsche originally intended for your 996, regardless of model.
Now if your current motor mounts are bad for some reason, then Ok, give them a shot to see if you like them. It is a totally reversable mod if you don't like it. Just takes money.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:21 PM
Braden996
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an arrogant SOB coupe owner, I question the need or desire for those motor mounts on either a Targa or a Cabriolet. If your current motor mounts are still healthy, why ruin a good thing?
M030 RoW suspension? Absolutely! This is the suspension Porsche originally intended for your 996, regardless of model.
Now if your current motor mounts are bad for some reason, then Ok, give them a shot to see if you like them. It is a totally reversable mod if you don't like it. Just takes money.
I agree 100% I am really only asking for the sake of asking.

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Thundertub
Existing mounts are fine, but I'm the type who likes to better the feel and responsiveness where I can. I've done motor and tranny mounts on other cars and tightening the driveline, to me, makes a more connected feel. But after hearing about the abruptness, they may be too much.

It's good to hear experiences...keep them coming.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:14 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Different strokes, I guess, but I have a hard time comparing suspension upgrades to upgraded motor mounts. I simply wouldn't consider lowering and stiffening the suspension of my car given the roads I have to drive on, but as I posted earlier I really enjoy the stiffer motor mounts and consider them excellent value for the money in terms of the driving experience. I don't find them harsh at all. The sensation feels 'louder', so to speak, not rougher. You are much more aware of the engine back there which, combined with crisper shifting, makes the whole thing sportier and more raw without being rough.

I think with these things you have to ignore forums like this at first and ask yourself what your vision is for your car. I'd pick my mods differently if I was personalizing my car as a GT car, or a banker's express (as they call them in Europe), or a sports car, or a road-and-track toy or whatever. Whether a mod is great or not depends entirely on what you wanted from it.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BruceP
I don't find them harsh at all. The sensation feels 'louder', so to speak, not rougher. You are much more aware of the engine back there which, combined with crisper shifting, makes the whole thing sportier and more raw without being rough.
Thanks for the additional comments. What you are describing sounds like just what I'm looking for. I returned my Sprint Booster under their 30 day return policy, so that will nearly be a wash for the RS mounts.

Quick Reply: Any targa owners using RS engine mounts?