996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Another IMS Data Point

Old 08-28-2011, 01:05 PM
jpowers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ivangene
the revival let me look at "nutty's" avatar pic again - so this was worth it!
Very nice indeed
Old 08-29-2011, 10:32 PM
countrysquire
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slashmatt
So, the original poster uses non-recommended oil, spends thousands on a warranty and parts; there's no evidence that the oil leak had anything to do with an IMS failure. I'm going to consider this 996 IMS Myth Busted #4.
What exactly is your point? Yes, I use an oil from a small company who has not gone through the trouble of getting it certified by Porsche. I learned about this oil from LN Engineering, and based on its numbers, is as good as anything out there. I paid two grand for a bumper to bumper warranty when I bought the car. The warranty paid for a rear main seal at 22 months. While they were in there, they installed the new IMS and a new clutch for only the cost of the parts and 4 additional hours of labor. The bearing appeared to be in great shape and very well might have lasted for ever. Who knows? The thing is, now I have piece of mind, which is worth more than the $1000 it cost me to install the bearing.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:34 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by countrysquire
What exactly is your point? Yes, I use an oil from a small company who has not gone through the trouble of getting it certified by Porsche. I learned about this oil from LN Engineering, and based on its numbers, is as good as anything out there. I paid two grand for a bumper to bumper warranty when I bought the car. The warranty paid for a rear main seal at 22 months. While they were in there, they installed the new IMS and a new clutch for only the cost of the parts and 4 additional hours of labor. The bearing appeared to be in great shape and very well might have lasted for ever. Who knows? The thing is, now I have piece of mind, which is worth more than the $1000 it cost me to install the bearing.
You might want to look at that Schaeffer 9000 5w-40 oil again...

I did via the material safety data sheet at Schaeffer's web site.

Here's the link:

http://www.schaefferoil.com/cmss_fil.../MSDS/9001.pdf

First off I note it is a diesel engine oil. What possesses owners of Porsches to run diesel engine oil in their gasoline engines is beyond me.

Besides being a diesel engine oil (which is not even approved for use in Porsche's diesel engine Cayennes), you know why Schaeffer probably didn't bother to submit this oil to Porsche for approval? Because Schaeffer knew the oil would not be accepted. Based on the list of ingredients the oil contains among other things mineral oil.

Use google to search on those CAS #'s and find out what's really in the oil.

I did and besides mineral oil, I found POA (which is good btw) but two of the other 4 ingredients are paraffinic oils.

Based on the search hits, one's primarily used for vacuum pumps. The other is used in pesticides. But this oil is bee friendly.

This oil may be a good oil for diesel engines but save for its a 5W-40 characteristic this oil has no other qualifications for being in a Porsche gasoline engine.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another IMS Data Point