Sponsored by:

Question about ECU flash

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:04 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Question about ECU flash

Hi All:
I am seriously considering an ECU flash as part of this summers mods. Anyone out there done it? Thoughts on Softronic (they are somewhat local), verses GIAC or Evoms. Evoms is pricer(est?), does that mean better? Locally, in my hood, there is F1 Tuning, don't really know much about them. Anyone running a Softronic flash, I would like some feedback. Thankx, in advance,
R\
Scott
Old 03-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

i have EVOMS, it happens to be the Latest Software & they are way more involved in Porsches... GIAC's Software has not been updated since 2002...
Old 03-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
i have EVOMS, it happens to be the Latest Software & they are way more involved in Porsches... GIAC's Software has not been updated since 2002...
Zookie, so what are your impressions?
Old 03-25-2011, 10:46 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I had it done a while ago. Candidly, lower end and about town driving, it's largely unnoticeable. However, when you really get up on the car, you can feel the press higher mid to high revs. Is it worth the money? Then again, I could say the same about my plenum, wheel spacers, exhaust, etc. What else are you going to do with it?
Old 03-25-2011, 10:54 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

I have Farnbacher Loles customs flash done twice. I have Fabspeed headers, exhaust and EVO intake. First flash is without an aftermarket headers map and second with. The difference is night and day after the second flash. The first map flash(no after market headers) was not as different compared with original; just better throttle response. The drives to Hershey with Marc's 3.6L and Redridge's SC 3.4L proved that it holds its own. I also have the nighest mileage on the cars at 95K.

My recommendation is to get all the better airflow hardware mounted before the flash and talk to several tuners. Basically, I think my timing was advanced a bit more on my second map. It would be even more aggressive if I had 200 cell cats installed but it would have excessive noise/droning issues. I have read that Fister hack and 200 cell cats combo do not drone.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Hardback
Zookie, so what are your impressions?
by myself on the street, Cant tell the diffrence... but when im at the Back Straight of Mosport International Raceway, i have the upper hand on a Stock C4S, im definatly catching up and passing the Stock Car... I do have Headers, Cat-Pipes, Mufflers and Air-Box, i think all this works great together
Old 03-25-2011, 02:17 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

GIAC's Software has not been updated since 2002...
How do you know that?....
Old 03-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Softtronic on a Boxster I had several years ago. 95% of the time I didn't notice a difference. And that 5% -- hard to know if it was a real or placebo effect. That said, I did not do any of the supplementary mods expect for a new Dansk exhaust, so I could not get the full benefit effect of the Flash.

This is in no way meant to discousrge anyone from using a Flash product. I certainly don't dispute the data. I've just recognized that my stock Carrera (and Boxster) has far more power than I will ever use 99.9999% of the time. If I were to track my car, I'd likely think differently.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:20 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

if you consider a flash - put on 200 cell cats and BMC oiled filter into stock airbox.
All any ECU flash really does is an effort to reduce margin of emissions compliance to gain a little bit of power/torque increase offered by increased airflow.
So it is important to have this 'increased' airflow as if it did not change - flash will not be able to do much.
also it increases output heat a bit and reduces sensitivity of O2 sensors so you will not get CELs

I vote softronic as it is easiest one to do and all those flashes do pretty much same stuff no matter from whom you buy it for your stock motor. totally custom race-style tuned GT3 engine flash for particular exhaust type is a different animal.

here is link to my pre-post tune dyno graph. ignore those absolute numbers - look how shape of power/torque line got changed - that is what you do it for, not for that hypothetical '40 horses plus' gain.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
How do you know that?....
I shopped before i got EVOMS...
Old 03-25-2011, 05:32 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Revo here. Honestly, I noticed a difference at first and then quickly became used to it. It turned out to be more of a gateway drug for other intake and exhaust mods. I'd be reluctant to recommend the flash to anyone who wasn't going to do a bunch of other stuff, too, whereas I think it's just about mandatory if you are.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:59 AM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Turbo that I bought has a Softronic flash. The car is very very VERY fast. I didn't drive a Turbo before I bought mine, but if you watch the boost on the dash, and you're pushing past .8 bar of boost, you are into the flash area. Scott at Softronic was easy to talk to, and was helpful (after I jostled him a bit.) They don't like talking to people who bought their tune second hand (bought a car that was tuned.)

Scott said that his tune takes into account exhaust changes, so if you buy the tune, and then get a different exhaust, he says that it accommodates the difference. These cars are so damned fast, I have to question why one needs a tuned chip. On the other hand, there is nothing like pushing down on launch control (the throttle) and having to hold onto the wheel for dear life as the car leaps forward. And it does LUNGE forward.

Enjoy.

larry
Old 03-26-2011, 09:33 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I shopped before i got EVOMS...
That doesn't answer my question. Is this just rumor or did a GIAC dealer confirm this?
Old 03-26-2011, 12:13 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Wow:
excellent info guys! I wasn't really planning to do much in the way of engines mods...just a flash for some increased torque/power, especially, when I want the extra push at the track........I will re-think this proposition and may hold off for a bit. Thankx for the all the great feedback!
R\
Scott
Old 03-26-2011, 12:29 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

FWIW, two long time Porsche techs, both friends of mine and one a customer whose hot rod Buell motor I built told me that they can't tell any difference on a N/A car. If there is, and some of their customers claim they can tell, some have a hard time, the difference is hardly discernable. Now they both said there is a huge difference on the Turbos. I have felt a chipped Turbo and the diff is day and night.

No first hand experience, but it's hard to see where a bit more spark advance or fuel would make a difference. I think the stock ECU will give all the advance you can safey use at any given rpm for the octane of fuel, and any more fuel will only make the mixture too fat decreasing preformance, a bit leaner and internal heat will start climbing. With a freer flowing exhaust, I'd think the MAF would sence it and kick more fuel to the injectors.??? don't know, just speculating

Quick Reply: Question about ECU flash