P0430 & P1109 Error Code

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 01:27 PM
92tsiawd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0430 & P1109 Error Code

Hi Guys,

I am a little stumped right now, searched around and haven't seen another car with this combination of error codes.
Car Info:
My car is a 2002 911 Carrera 2 w/ 60k miles
I just replaced the Maf with a brand new unit from Suncoast.
Cleaned the Throttle body yesterday.
Code came back exactly the same after the throttle body cleaning.

P1109 - Input variables, charge measurement
Above limit

P0430 - Factory Fault Code 45 - TWC conversion, Bank 2
Above limit

Any ideas as to what I should be checking? O2 sensor? which one? Catalytic? Thanks in advance

Last edited by 92tsiawd; 03-21-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:08 PM
flintworks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the P1109 you may need to replace the throttle body. There may be an issue in the adjusting unit. Also check the pins in the connector that goes to the throttle body as I've seen them loose/pushed out before.

For the P0430 the only thing to do is replace the catalytic converter. You might want to check with the dealer and see if they'll help you out. There's an 8 year 80k warranty on the cat.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by 92tsiawd
Hi Guys,

I am a little stumped right now, searched around and haven't seen another car with this combination of error codes.
Car Info:
My car is a 2002 911 Carrera 2 w/ 60k miles
I just replaced the Maf with a brand new unit from Suncoast.
Cleaned the Throttle body yesterday.
Code came back exactly the same after the throttle body cleaning.

P1109 - Input variables, charge measurement
Above limit

P0430 - Factory Fault Code 45 - TWC conversion, Bank 2
Above limit

Any ideas as to what I should be checking? O2 sensor? which one? Catalytic? Thanks in advance
Address the cause of P1109 first.

Clear the codes then drive the car some more to see if P0430 comes back.

If the P0430 error code comes back the guidelines are to check for any aging oxygen sensor codes and if present replace the sensors and clear the codes and drive the car some more.

If after this the P0430 error code comes back, or if there are no O2 sensor codes, the converter is wearing/worn out: converter can't store oxygen.

However, the converter might still be ok most of the time. For instance (based on my experience) it might work better in warmer weather. I've been 'nursing' a P0430 on my 02 Boxster now for a couple of years, even managing to get the car through smog checks -- with no funny business either everything on the up and up -- which I have to have done every other year in May.

I do not know the history of your car, but before you replace the converter ($$) (and there is an argument that can be made that both should be replaced which is even more $$$$), if the plugs are due to be changed, change them. Coils might be considered for replace as well even if there are no misfire codes.

(If plugs/coils ok then you might instead put this money towards the cost of a new converter.)

Regardless about the plugs and coils, it can't hurt to run a bottle or two of Techron through the engine (gas tank) following the instructions on the bottle label. I like to do this just before an oil change that is changing the oil/filter after the last tank treated with Techron is down to say 1/4 tank or lower.

Doing the above might (might) buy you some time. In the past once warmer weather sets in I can drive my Boxster for all the summer months without seeing the P0430 once. Oh, it helps to keep the P0430 away I've found to run a name brand of gas and of course a premium grade of gas. I run Shell but Chevron is ok and there are some others brands: Unocal 76, Philips 66, etc.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: P0430 & P1109 Error Code