996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Where are you hiding them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Yomi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of us are idiots and believe NADA / KBB / Edmunds, therefore pay prices that are too high according to Excellence. Live and learn I guess. That sucks up a lot of cars and raises the prices. It also raises asking prices since someone may come in and pay it (or at least give plenty of negotiating room). You could pick a price you think the car is worth and ask for it -- who knows.

I think a lot of these great deals are either (1) careful continent-wide shopping over a 6+ month period to get just the right car at a really good price, (2) awesome deals made through a friend / fellow club member / etc., or (3) incredible luck (like the clean low-mile full CPO GT2 for $65k -- why didn't anyone tell me about that?). Plus -- who's more likely to post on the forums: (a) I got a great deal! or (b) oops, I overpaid.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:59 PM
cardsrule
Pro

My advice is get in a habit of searching. About everyday I check the same places for 996's. Then once a deal pops up I know. I think 18K is a good deal for a 99 and around 22K is a good deal for an 02. I had a local car that was a steal last week but i missed it, I just got to sell my 930 first!!!! GRRRR
Old 03-23-2011, 06:50 PM
996Pilot
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just typed in the "search" criteria into Autotrader and came up with about 20 cars that fit the criteria. Included in the 20 were 4-5 Cabs and one C4. You're not looking hard enough or in the right places.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:33 PM
dallison28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most of my search results end up on the left coast. I guess i need to wait until the east coast wakes up their p cars from their deep winter nap.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:34 PM
dallison28
Pro

I have the Hershey swap meet coming up in a month so i might find something there.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:37 AM
Mike_UCR
Rennlist Member

Your 930 is amazing. I would buy it in a second if I could only get approval from SWMBO.

I can't believe how much time gets sucked up once you start looking.

Mike

Originally Posted by cardsrule
My advice is get in a habit of searching. About everyday I check the same places for 996's. Then once a deal pops up I know. I think 18K is a good deal for a 99 and around 22K is a good deal for an 02. I had a local car that was a steal last week but i missed it, I just got to sell my 930 first!!!! GRRRR
Old 03-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Mike_UCR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dallison28
most of my search results end up on the left coast. I guess i need to wait until the east coast wakes up their p cars from their deep winter nap.
I agree, the majority of listings come from sunny California. The long distance car shopping is a little daunting. I guess one would have to rely on PPI's and Rennlist friends to check the car out. Just missed out on a great deal in LA on a 2000 Cab 42k miles & $20k. My offer was going in as they were signing the deal.

"Patience Grasshopper"
Old 03-24-2011, 10:16 AM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_UCR
I can't believe how much time gets sucked up once you start looking.

Mike
I was between jobs this summer, while shopping for my Pcar. It was seriously a part-time job looking for a car; 10-15 hours a week or more. I looked for a deal in the states, but the canadian dollar was more like .97 and I couldn't make the numbers work. The deals just weren't there at the time (for the very specific range of car i was looking for).

I ended up with a Canadian car in Toronto. Paid a little more than I wanted to, but it was that or get something I didn't want (as much as you can not want a C4S...)

Good luck.

Contact this guy:
http://www.autosport911.com/

He's fantastic. No affiliation. I didn't buy a car through him, only by fate.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:10 PM
dallison28
Pro

Originally Posted by mikey55
I just posted my 99 996 in the vehicle and when the ad is approved, I believe it is exactly what you are looking for, be patience I guess.
You are correct, that is perfect. I will prob wait until after the hershey swap meet to make a decision, just b/c those cars would be much closer to me.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Mike_UCR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dallison28
You are correct, that is perfect. I will prob wait until after the hershey swap meet to make a decision, just b/c those cars would be much closer to me.
PM sent
Old 07-28-2011, 12:44 PM
dallison28
Pro

lol, I wish i could make a decision on a car already. I gave up the idea of getting a 996 in april or so. I think it was probably after hershey when i couldn't find any good clean examples to look at.

I am all over the board on cars. I have a problem. I was thinking of trading my dd 03 rl for a new tsx. But after visiting a few dealers and no one really budging i said f it. So I have turned my attention again to a 996.

I think i'll look for an 02+ but am not quite sure. There is an 03 c2 cab with hardtop pretty close to me for 28k and 69k on the clock.

I'll wait until at least the fall when prices normally seem to fall. I was thinking about an inexpensive boxster, but i want to get something with a back seat for my 4 year old niece. What little kid wouldn't enjoy riding in a Porsche. She enoyed Uncle Rich's yellow car...
Old 07-28-2011, 01:46 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

In a few months or sooner folks will be ready to give up their 996's due to Winter and in some states Fall so I'd just be patient.

I got lucky years ago, after not doing so well with the vehicles on cars.com and autotrader, and found mine by doing a national search on porsche.com. Mine was all I was looking for the same price I saw on autotrader and cars.com and it was CPO'd. I did have to fly to OHIO to pick it up though.

Quick Reply: Where are you hiding them?