Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Lightweight street or street/track 996 builds out there?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 09:22 PM
KobaltBlau
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Mark. I guess it was Feb 05, not Feb 06. Anybody have a scan of this they could email me? If so please PM. Otherwise I may have to buy the back issue, though I have purchased the magazine and read the article before, but got rid of it while I was moving!

Jasper, thanks for the extra details. That is pretty light for a 2002 - I understand they are a bit heavier than a 1999, Frere said they were stiffer.

Half tank should be about 50 lb of fuel, so that's 3000. That turbo weight thread says the factory roof with sunroof and interior is 47lb, so a non-sunroof car might save as much as 40? If a non-sunroof base 2002 could be under 3000, the quoted 1999 weight of 2920 or so seems plausible.

Does anyone know the factory curb weight for a 2002-2003 or so? Probably in the owner's manual?

Also, as I mentioned above Frere's Porsche 911 Story says briefly that the 2002 is stiffer. Has anyone been able to notice this or have any further information on why?

When you remove the bumper supports, what do you replace them with? Or do you use aftermarket bumpers that don't use them?

I'm really wondering how much weight could be lost from interior. Are there any lightweight door panels available like with the early cars? from the turbo thread complete interior carpet is 52lb, what about sound deadening?

Here's a bunch of stuff that's claimed to weigh at least 38lb from the turbo thread:

Andy
Old 03-20-2011, 09:32 PM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll weigh my 99 shortly on our corner balance scales, it will have no carpet or interior trim except dash, one light weight seat in it at the time....
Old 03-20-2011, 10:14 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by altonj
I'll weigh my 99 shortly on our corner balance scales, it will have no carpet or interior trim except dash, one light weight seat in it at the time....
Hey Jeff!

That should be interesting.

Have you ever calibrated your scales against a known reference?

Old 03-20-2011, 10:46 PM
KobaltBlau
Track Day

Jeff, I would really appreciate you reporting that weight. Looking forward to it!
Old 03-20-2011, 11:35 PM
altonj
Pro

Jasper,

We set the cup car up on them to make weight so I think they are accurate..... But I could weigh myself!

EDIT: it does have RUF 19's on it right now (for sale!) but will have my CCW 18's on it when I weigh it. Then we will add the cage......

Cheers

Last edited by altonj; 03-21-2011 at 01:39 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:09 PM
sprintamx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not any real new "data points" but my car ('99 C2, sunroof, lsd) just weighed-in at 3,000 lbs with a 3/4 tank of fuel and OEM 18" turbo twists with Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s.

I've done the following:

All original seats (F&R) out; replaced by a Kirkey race seat with , a GT3 knockoff passenger and harnesses.
Safety Devices bolt-in cage with "hard" padding.
Orignal steering wheel and hub replaced with a detachable hub and MOMO wheel.
Itty, bitty (umm, useless) 2.5 lb fire extinguisher.
After Hours mufflers-AWESOME SOUND!; stock cats. The cats will go eventually as I figure out a plumbing job for pipes out through the center of the bumper--love that look.
Radio and CD changer in the boot removed - after market amp and wiring removed after weighing-corner balancing. That removed about another 25-30 pounds not reflected in the 3,000. Seriously. That amp is heavy!
Rear deck pad over suspension mounting points removed . . . weight savings 10 lbs???
Local wrench suggested leaving the trunk carpet in to save questions and and confusion with the less experienced DE tech inspectors who might look at all the wires and not know what to do. Whatever.

Otherwise the car is stock: brakes, a/c, etc. I do use OZ Allegeritas with R1s on the track, and those are much lighter than the OEM/Bridgestone wheels/tires. I'll be conservative and say that the track wheel/tire setup shaves another 40 lbs total (probably more) off of the 3,000 lb figure.

So with the amp now out and track wheels, I'll peg the car at 2,930.

Stock carpet will come out eventually, but all the speakers will come out real soon. All together (6+) the speakers probably weigh 35-45 lbs?

I'll leave the stock window controls and glass alone for now, and will not be worrying about a sunroof delete, new roof, hood, doors, etc. Until I've earned my spurs with consistent, competent driving, the money and time are far better spent with track time, instruction, tires, pads, fuel and lodging.

I really don't know if there is any weight savings or weight gains with suspension upgrades, but I've installed PSS10s, adjustable mounting plates, GT3 control arms, tarret sways, toe links, various bits and pieces, etc.

The car is street legal, but not really street-able with the Kirkey in. I can always take that out if "necessary."

One guy's process . . .
Old 03-21-2011, 05:45 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but this is like the 5th C2 that is coming in over 350 lbs lighter than my GT3. Most of the things folks are taking out aren't even in a GT3 to begin with [sunroof, rear seats, spare tire, etc] - and everyone is running lighter seats.

I can see 100lbs for wheels and mufflers, but where is the other 200+ lbs coming from? My car was just corner balanced and with driver ballast was right at 3400 lbs full of gas. Taking out the driver and gas (and including roll bar) puts my at around 3100 or so.

Is there something simple I'm missing? Corner balance scales reading differently across the country? Gravity well?

-td
Old 03-21-2011, 07:01 PM
B r i a n
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

60HP & high revs
Old 03-21-2011, 07:51 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

^ Maybe as much as 100 at the wheels - my car showed 373 at the wheels on a Mustang Dyno, my old car [2000 C2] was more like 250.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:46 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but this is like the 5th C2 that is coming in over 350 lbs lighter than my GT3. Most of the things folks are taking out aren't even in a GT3 to begin with [sunroof, rear seats, spare tire, etc] - and everyone is running lighter seats.

I can see 100lbs for wheels and mufflers, but where is the other 200+ lbs coming from? My car was just corner balanced and with driver ballast was right at 3400 lbs full of gas. Taking out the driver and gas (and including roll bar) puts my at around 3100 or so.

Is there something simple I'm missing? Corner balance scales reading differently across the country? Gravity well?

-td
Porsche lists the curb weight of the GT3 at 3043 lbs. They list the curb weight of a 99' C2 at 2910 only a 133 lb difference. I don't understand either....
Old 03-21-2011, 08:50 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

The Metzger motor is heavier than the M96...my understanding is that the GT3 was never lighter than the 996, but better in every other way.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:34 AM
altonj
Pro

Jasper, when are you actually going to strip that thing and have some fun with it?? Bite the bullet, the wife has a car, no?
Old 03-22-2011, 01:01 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Slow and steady wins the race Jeff. I'm doing what needs to be done on the car. At the moment that's a power steering rack and a new oil sump plate.

In fact it's been so much work and kids over the last few years that I've been lucky to squeeze in a handfull of autocrosses.

This years project is to build a shop in my backyard. It will be 18.6 ft wide and 42 ft long. I break ground this Wednesday in fact.

Once the shop is in place I theoretically have no excuses left...except a lack of funds. It will be good to have your car as inspiration.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:33 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

The C4 tub is heavier than the C2 tub, not to mention the extra reinforcements in the rear of the GT3. Of course the entire running gear is heavier, not just the engine (transaxle, axles, hubs/upgrights, brakes/suspension, etc).

I thoroughly enjoyed tracking my 99 C2s, but they didn't drive much like a GT3 even w/similar suspension set ups. I think the GT3 is even more rear heavy than the C2 btw.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:52 AM
KobaltBlau
Track Day

Ahmet, do you think that is because of chassis rigidity? Porsche did choose the C4 chassis for the GT3 for a reason...

Quick Reply: Lightweight street or street/track 996 builds out there?