Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 - Good Maintenance to Do While Engine/Tranny Dropped?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 01:10 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsrule
ummm you guys are missing the point. he has a tip which mean that the tech has to take out the 6mm bolts through the starter hole to free up the flex plate. I have done it many times with the engine in a boxster (huge pain in the ***) but never in a 996, In fact i bet you DO have to drop the engine....
+1 ...you beat me to it.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:15 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by spender
I dropped a line to Charles at LN Engineering - great guy, very helpful, and he is pretty sure that I will have to drop the engine and the tranny in one unit for the later Tiptronic models.

My mechanic hinted that dropping the engine with tranny (in and out) is a 12 hour job - and thus the purpose for this thread, to get advice on other things that I should investigate doing. With the engine and tranny on the floor (the Porsche equivalent of "open heart surgery"), there's probably a ton of stuff that can be done more easily - such as the LN IMS upgrade, and maybe a few other things (if it needs it).
The AOS on a tip is impossible to do from the top, so you should take care of that while you are in there. I would also replace the spark plug tubes, plugs, etc... check your coils for cracking as well.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spender
I dropped a line to Charles at LN Engineering - great guy, very helpful, and he is pretty sure that I will have to drop the engine and the tranny in one unit for the later Tiptronic models.

My mechanic hinted that dropping the engine with tranny (in and out) is a 12 hour job - and thus the purpose for this thread, to get advice on other things that I should investigate doing. With the engine and tranny on the floor (the Porsche equivalent of "open heart surgery"), there's probably a ton of stuff that can be done more easily - such as the LN IMS upgrade, and maybe a few other things (if it needs it).
I was at the dealer today dropping car off for an alignment. They just did their first LN IMS bearing change on a Tip and had to remove the engine.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

AOS and Oil cooler seals. Most of the pic's i've seen on this site show oil cooler leaking coolant.

Oil cooler pic:

Oil cooler top left:
Old 03-17-2011, 10:02 AM
spender
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris996
AOS and Oil cooler seals. Most of the pic's i've seen on this site show oil cooler leaking coolant.
Thanks Chris 996 - it looks like you also have an upgraded IMS, is that the LN Engineering kit as well? I ordered mine on Monday.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:34 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Does transmission need to be taken out to do the water pump? I thought it didn't have to be.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

No. Go to Utube and search for Porsche 996 water pump vid.

Quick Reply: 996 - Good Maintenance to Do While Engine/Tranny Dropped?