Sponsored by:

I'm losing faith :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 02:55 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm losing faith :(

Since I bought my 04 C4S last July, it's been to the dealer 8 times. My dealer is 500 Kms from me, so I've added 8000 Kms of mileage to the car just to get it serviced. The stereo is crap (CR23) and doesn't work when cold...but that's not covered by CPO, changing it means buying a completely new system. Thanks MOST. A couple phantom glitches with the windows are annoying also. I also have a coolant issue that the techs at the dealer can't seem to solve.

I live in a remote region, there are no good indy's in my area. The next closest area is Calgary....which is 10 hours away. This is my DD so flatbedding it across the province for a couple weeks isn't an option. Did I mention my dealer doesn't actually stock ANY freakn parts save oil filters and belts. So I need one trip for them to diagnose...and a return trip for them to repair.

I bought this car because it was CPO....hoping that that would mean I would not come across any large issue for the immediate future and if I did, the Dealer could resolve them with minimal trauma to my sanity and wallet.

So far my wallet is fine, but my sanity is coming unglued.

I've added so much coolant to the car I've completely replaced it 2 times. That's 44 litres. I'm on my 12th jug of coolant....been adding a half jug at a time every week. They've replaced one rad and the reservoir tank. I've replaced the coolant cap to the newest version. They say they've ran the car to full temp and it wouldn't leak and the pressure was stable. Yet I get it home and it's still losing coolant. Mega...sigh.

Anyway, that issue is frustrating but it isn't the end all and be all.

I'm reading more and more engine failures. IMS is an issue, but not necessarily a death sentence, more like cautionary warning....like high cholesterol or smoking. However, cracked cylinder walls ending the car's life are appearing more and more. On 996s with the same mileage and within a couple years age of my C4S.

It's pretty depressing. It really seems like Porsche's first kick at the water cooled can was a failure. It wasn't until the 997 that they got it right.

Today, for the first time, she wouldn't start. I finally got her going, only to get a CEL. Seems like all these idiots who talk crap to me about driving a Porsche in the winter might have a point. At least it's starting to feel that way.

Maybe winter is just too long. I can remember how much I truly love driving this car last summer. A joy just to be in. Unfortunately, I hardly remember that feeling anymore.

I've been dreaming about owning a 911 since I was 12...and now it feels like after half a lifetime of dreaming and drooling, I bought the wrong one.

Sorry for the **** post...I think I'll watch that GT2RS video a few more times to try and cheer myself up

sean
Old 03-11-2011, 03:08 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

No No don't watch the GT2RS video. It will make the 996 looks worse. Is is too cold to bring the car out still?
Old 03-11-2011, 03:13 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You know what they say.... Location location location.....

And your location sucks!

Seriously, you are subjecting that car to some truly harsh environments.

Didn't you wash it in sub freezing temps and the whole car froze? That might not help your radio.

Maybe it's just not the right time for you to own a 996. The only Porsche I would own in your climate is a Cayenne.... and they have their own problems.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No loaner car available?
Old 03-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Cayenne is renowned for not having any problems, of any sort. It is the Porsche of SUVs.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:33 PM
speed rII
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car loves the winter. Not as much as the summer but anyways, no problems.

Just wach the rs vid, and know that you have at least a fraction of that fun in the garage ;D
Old 03-11-2011, 03:40 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry to hear of your delema.

Stop adding more coolant! You can add it the rest of your life, and the results will be the same.

You, or someone needs to find out where it's going and address the issue once and for all.

It can't be that difficult. You most likely have a good radiator shop in the area. They should certainly be able to find the problem in less than 10 minutes, ok maybe 30 at most if they're unfamiliar with Porsches.

Get it fixed, start your car more often in the cold, get a battery tender. Life is good! Enjoy!
Old 03-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

I bought my car last year, drove it a bit, went on a month vocation, came back and drove it a BIT more, and then stored it for the winter.

Looking at the pot holes on the roads here, and all the **** involved with driving it in the winter, I decided to store it.

I haven't really had this car long enough to judge it too much. I have a new clutch from the previous owner and a pretty new engine from Porsche. I also have all the documentation.

This spring till the fall will be its first test. Although I am going to Tokyo in June so I’ll be departing from it again but not for long.

I love the car and I am willing to deal with the troubles associated with its ownership. It's really a juggling act, and you have to be willing to deal with it. Although you encountered many problems, who knows, they might all stop now since you addressed most of them.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:39 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Jim, I froze the front left tire...that shouldn't have anything to do with the radio...but regardless it was crapping out before that event. It basically has been crapping out since the first time the car saw -30. Ever since then, the radio will not function when it's any colder than -5. Still seem to work fine when it's above that.

Yes I live in a cold and harsh environment (well, for 5 months of the year) but I did a lot of research before buying this car. Cold was not an issue. THere are lots of people driving 911's all winter long...in Canada/US and in Europe. I had a Porsche tech from Norway tell me as long as my coolant was rated to the temps I got, the car would be fine. For the most part of this winter he was right. It has ALWAYS started.

My desire for the 911 wasn't just performance based, it's world best based. It has always been the only (in my eyes) true everyday supercar. You can drive it every single day, for 100s of 1000s of Kms, for decades....and it will be flawless. You can take it to the track and experience true sports performance.

That's why I rate it above ferrari's and lambos, etc. They are extremely good looking (ok, some aren't) and very fast...but don't get it wet...don't show it snow...and definitely don't go on long vacation drives with it...they are TOYS. Weekend play things. Expressions of ego. (generally speaking...there are exceptions) The are fun and fast, but their purpose is singular.

The 911 isn't, at least not to me. It's most of the performance of a supercar, with most of the utility of an everyday car, in a beautiful and ageless design. It's the perfect CAR.

Isn't that the whole point of the 911? I wanted the best car, not the best toy.

My current "depression" isn't related to simply owning a 911. I do love this car. It's related to the (seemingly) imminent tragedy of some sort that will happen to this poorly designed engine. Stick a GT3 engine in there, that doesn't suffer all the issues the M96 does, and I wouldn't have a complaint. It bothers me that they can design such a bullet proof engine as the GT3 and Turbo....but after what, 4 revisions?, the M96 was never really fixed.

As I said, the coolant issue isn't really the source of my sorrow. It'll be fixed, even if I have to take a week off work and stand at the dealership and make them fix it. (It's CPO...so THEY are going to fix it on THEIR dime)

People are doing IMS retrofits....just in case. If you're also reading all the issues about cracked cylinder walls...are you not equally worried about another possible source of imminent death?

Flat 6 can't keep up with demand for rebuilt/reworked engines...so there is a high demand (not just for parts but for his excellent work and reputation of course) but none the less...having all these potential and law of averages says *probable* issues with my engine kinda sucks all the life out of me. It doesn't exactly make me excited to do a DE or track day...even a spirited canyon road run.

Anyway, my point is that 911's are supposed to be one of the most reliable platforms ever made...obviously, you have to exclude the M96 from that.

sean
Old 03-11-2011, 04:48 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Your best bet might be to find a really well-recommended Indy where you can ship your car off to them, have them diagnose and fix EVERYTHING that might be wrong. After that you get your car and just maintain it. Once everything is addressed you should be okay for quite some time.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:58 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I would call Porsche customer care and see what they can do to help.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:13 PM
inviktus
Instructor

What about buying a beater Honda to serve as a backup car? I find that a backup car works wonders in reducing logistical- and mechanical-related stress levels.

Regarding cylinder liners: Jake makes a pretty compelling argument that cracked cylinder liners stem from failing water pumps. It's compelling for two reasons: 1) Jake knows his stuff, and 2) I want really badly to believe that preventative water pump R&R is all you need to do to keep your cylinder liners happy.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:27 PM
speed rII
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that the broken waterpump impeller has more to do with the cracked head?

Not the liners, that supposed to be more of a casting issue?
Old 03-11-2011, 05:47 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Sean, best of luck to you in getting your car sorted out.

Look on the bright side, at least you don't own a Ferrari. Reading this may make you feel better.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316399
Old 03-11-2011, 05:55 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I hear you Sean. I find myself thinking about what might go wrong more often these days since my CPO expired on Feb 3rd of this year.

I am changing the oil in the 996 tomorrow (Castrol Syntec 5w-40 if anyone cares) and I am going to have an oil analysis done and cut open the filter. I hope i won't find anything but i have an indie on speed dial if I do. My indie has installed the IMS retrofit before so we will see.

Then I think water pump, then I think low temp stat, and then I think I read this forum too much........

I plan to install the magnetic drain plug and spin on oil filter adapter with tomorrows oil change. Hopefully, that is all I will need to do in the near term other than fresh coolant and a brake fluid flush.

Keep the faith, better weather is ahead.

Quick Reply: I'm losing faith :(