Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   New to the list ... (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/621311-new-to-the-list.html)

rpm's S2 03-10-2011 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by mikehelms (Post 8372457)
Sorry Dave! It's a unique color combination and I had a feeling it would go quickly ... looks like I was right about that. :-)

Whatcha picking up in Chicago? Beautiful city it is ... you should have a fun ride home.

Cheers,
-- Mike

Hilarious! Two NC boys going after the same car in Chicago... Look forward to meeting you both.

Check out the Hurricane Region Facebook page for details on the barbeque run in two weeks. A good way to break in these Yankee Porsches!

Divot 03-10-2011 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hapich (Post 8372718)
I can barely. I mean barley fit my golf clubs in the back seats!! LOL. There should be no back seats. Maybe if the driver is 5'3" or smaller.

Two sets of clubs, no problem. Well, maybe a little bit. But they'll fit.

ivangene 03-10-2011 06:17 PM

I am liking these educated buyers picking up cars with upgraded IMS and/or negotiating that into the sale...you foound a jem there, should give you about 125k more miles for a 1/3 - 1/4 the MRSP

way to go!

oh - love/hate..... LOVE IT!

Chaos 03-10-2011 06:20 PM

Love that interior,welcome

RPMulli 03-10-2011 06:41 PM

Mike, I really like that interior, lets trade!! :to_order:

laxaholic33 03-10-2011 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by mikehelms (Post 8372674)
I just picked up the headphone jack plugin for the CDR 220 radio (and the little blade tools for sliding out the radio) ... now I just need to figure out where to route the wire to.

Cheers,
-- Mike

What headphone jack plugin did you pick up? Ive been looking for an easy solution to work with a droid.

Car is beautiful by the way. I spent three months searching for a glacier white 996 with no success. best color imho

mpd425 03-10-2011 07:55 PM

Nice color combo, welcome!!

mikehelms 03-10-2011 08:40 PM

Thanks for the warm welcomes, everyone!

I picked up the headphone jack plugin off of eBay. $14.99 including shipping, IIRC. It plugs into the back of the radio where the optional CD changer would plugin to. Obviously there's no integration of controls, but it also means that I can plug any device in with a 1/8" headphone jack. This is one of the few places I'll take broad adaptability over tight integration. Here's a link to the one I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200446864638

You'll also need the two little blade tools to remove the radio. Here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=250786661710

These worked for me, but as always YMMV, buyer beware, caveat emptor, etc.

Whatever the interior color is called, I think it's gorgeous. I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit before I bomb it with Leatherique ... not that it's in bad shape by any means, but I'd like to keep it in tip-top shape. It's going to take forever to apply treatment to the pillars, the dashboard, the console, the door skins ...

One thing I've learned the hard way is that Porsches really do come with built-in asshole magnets (credit for this term goes to someone else in another thread on this forum). I had no idea that a used car costing less than most new minivans could draw so many twits, but it does. I've had the car for 10 days now and I've already had someone argue with me that there's a V8 in the front of it (and no, they weren't mistaking it for a 928) ...

I have owned German cars for most of my 20+ year driving career, and I'm sure this car will delight and frustrate as all of the others have. One thing is certain, though: it does not lack character, nor does it lack soul. Whoever screwed this car together wasn't just doing it for the money.

At least, that's what I keep telling myself. :-)

Cheers,
-- Mike

SWK6Cup 03-10-2011 08:44 PM

Welcome Mike, nice (and different) color combo! I'm sure you'll enjoy all the miles!

robert r 03-10-2011 10:04 PM

For some reason the pics don't show up on the iphone app, but congrats non the less.

What a combination P-car, Model T, and a Duc! I'm sure the Ford would be a blast.

mikehelms 03-10-2011 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by robert r (Post 8373537)
What a combination P-car, Model T, and a Duc! I'm sure the Ford would be a blast.

Yeah, my garage looks like a bit of a hodgepodge right now.

Against the one wall: compressor, sandblasting booth, parts washer and bench grinder/wire wheel.

Porsche parked next to that.

Ducati parked next to the Porsche, with the wheel stands and an old Fairbanks Morse stationary engine in front of the bike. Model T engine in front of all that on a floor stand. Also have my toolbox on wheels in and around this area.

Against the opposite wall: shelves with various and sundry items, the Model T frame, two Model T steering columns, a T rear axle spring (hilariously large and heavy), and other bits.

On my workbench: various model T parts in the process of being painted, the remnants of other projects gone awry and a fine collection of half-full oil bottles (from oil changes on vehicles I no longer own). Above that, various license plates hanging from North Carolina, Alberta and Ontario.

Oh, somewhere in the mess is an old 1950's outboard motor of some obscure make (a flea market find that was supposed to be a restoration project and is now mostly in the way), a lawn mower that doesn't get used as often as it should, a bicycle that doesn't get used at all, and a pile of stuff that desperately needs to go to Goodwill.

:_otopic:

But back to the 996. Between the Fabspeed mufflers, the ECU upgrade, the B&M short-shift kit I just discovered is in it, and the other maintenance items that were done weeks before I bought the car, I'm thinking that I not only dodged some big maintenance bullets, but I also got some goodies thrown in as a bonus.

Cheers,
-- Mike

MJP911 03-11-2011 09:42 AM

Welcome. I too had a Ducati Monster - 2001 Metallic Edition (special factory metallic paint). I loved it but sold it after buying my first Prosche last year - a 2000 C4. I've never looked back. Enjoy!!!

Chris996 03-11-2011 10:14 AM

very nice, great upgrades....full leather a plus...

redridge 03-11-2011 11:34 AM

nice!.... rare to see a boxster red in a 996. I know Loren has one as well in silver exterior. But on white exterior is just amazing. Do you have any plans with her? suspension, aerokits, cai.... etc? I would suggest to go to the track and see what she's capable of.... you'll even love her more.

mikehelms 03-11-2011 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by redridge (Post 8374774)
nice!.... rare to see a boxster red in a 996. I know Loren has one as well in silver exterior. But on white exterior is just amazing. Do you have any plans with her? suspension, aerokits, cai.... etc? I would suggest to go to the track and see what she's capable of.... you'll even love her more.

No plans to do any more mods. I love the car the way it is, and I'd like to spend my time really getting to know her. As I said, the only bit I've got for it is the iPod cable, and I just need to find a few hours when I'm in a zen-like state of calm to disassemble the console and put it in. I know it's not a lot of work; I just don't like to feel hurried when I do projects like that ...

The suspension feels absolutely fantastic, and it almost seems antithetical to imagine improving it. I'm sure if I was heavily tracking the car I'd want something stiffer, but as a car I'd also like to take around town and on a few trips, I'm not sure I'd want it firmer than it already is.

I have no doubt that this car would be incredible on the track. One of these days I'll get the guts to take her up to VIR, even if it's just for a few parade laps.

Cheers,
-- Mike