Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   New to the list ... (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/621311-new-to-the-list.html)

mikehelms 03-10-2011 03:59 PM

New to the list ...

Hey guys and gals,

I have really enjoyed reading the threads on this list, and I figured I'd go ahead and join and get more involved.

A few weeks ago I sold my beloved C class Benz and picked up a mint 1999 996 to replace it. It's white with the terra cotta interior and only has 34K miles on the clock. A locally (North Carolina) owned car that was regularly driven as a "weekend" car by a local executive, that spent the rest of the week under its car cover in his heated garage.

He put a set of Fabspeed mufflers on it and mounted 285's on the back, but it's otherwise stock. Before he sold it to me he had the flywheel and clutch replaced, upgraded the RMS and IMS, and fixed a few other small things to make it "perfect". If you glanced at the car you would think it's only a few months old; it's that clean.

It's been a real joy to drive, and a pleasant change from the Mercedes (which was a fantastic car, but an entirely different beast).

As a side note, I'm also piecing together a 1924 Ford Model T, and I still like to pretend to be a hillbilly in my beater '92 GMC truck. You can take the boy out of the country ...

I also subjected myself to a Ducati Monster some years ago, but I'll probably sell that this summer to make room for something else.

Cheers,
-- Mike

Tom M 03-10-2011 04:01 PM

Welcome to RL. If you've been lurking for some time then you know that you owe us pictures!

mikehelms 03-10-2011 04:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Tom M (Post 8372187)
Welcome to RL. If you've been lurking for some time then you know that you owe us pictures!

Duly noted, sir. Here's a few shots.

First, the obligatory "graffiti" shot. I fiddled with the colors in iPhoto, and I thought it looked cool at the time, natch.

The interior. So I made sure that this wasn't an entirely emotional purchase (PPI, went over the car myself with a fine tooth comb, etc., forced myself to sleep on it for a few nights before pulling the trigger, etc.), but once I sat in this interior it was pretty much "game over". Even the dorky little CD holder in the center console has a delightfully overengineered German feel to it.

And the exterior. I've been too busy driving it on the really nice days to get a good exterior shot. I promise I will soon.

Cheers,
-- Mike

rpm's S2 03-10-2011 04:33 PM

Sounds great! We can't wait to see it.

If interested, bring it out to Brier Creek on a Saturday morning. We usually have 20-30 PCA members doing breakfast at Jason's Deli starting around 8am.

On the first Saturday of the month the Italian, British and muscle car guys show up too - we had over 200 cars last Saturday, including 4 new Ferrari 458 Italias! It ain't quite Cars and Coffee, but not bad for little old Raleigh.

(yes, this is the very same wording I put in another thread earlier today - all these new 996s in Raleigh is cool!)

Divot 03-10-2011 04:38 PM

Welcome aboard.

mikehelms 03-10-2011 04:42 PM

Thanks Ralph. I'll be out of town this weekend (picking up a rear end for the Model T, ironically), but I'll try to get out on another weekend. I've seen this group there before ... there's one guy with a Countach. I used to be envious until I rode in a Countach a few years ago. What an iconic piece of junk. :rockon:

I normally avoid Brier Creek (I have an irrational fear of door dings, and Brier Creek is a festering haven of minivan moms and macho SUV dads who like to swing their doors open wide and fast), but I suppose I can make an exception to hang around with other emotionally driven car buyers. :cheers:

Cheers,
-- Mike

skiracer 03-10-2011 04:46 PM

Great looking P-car. Welcome to Rennlist :thumbup:

Barn996 03-10-2011 04:46 PM

What a nice find for you. Welcome to Rennlist. I like the exterior and the interior colors.

996dave 03-10-2011 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by mikehelms (Post 8372174)
Hey guys and gals,

I have really enjoyed reading the threads on this list, and I figured I'd go ahead and join and get more involved.

A few weeks ago I sold my beloved C class Benz and picked up a mint 1999 996 to replace it. It's white with the terra cotta interior and only has 34K miles on the clock. A locally (North Carolina) owned car that was regularly driven as a "weekend" car by a local executive, that spent the rest of the week under its car cover in his heated garage.

He put a set of Fabspeed mufflers on it and mounted 285's on the back, but it's otherwise stock. Before he sold it to me he had the flywheel and clutch replaced, upgraded the RMS and IMS, and fixed a few other small things to make it "perfect". If you glanced at the car you would think it's only a few months old; it's that clean.

It's been a real joy to drive, and a pleasant change from the Mercedes (which was a fantastic car, but an entirely different beast).

As a side note, I'm also piecing together a 1924 Ford Model T, and I still like to pretend to be a hillbilly in my beater '92 GMC truck. You can take the boy out of the country ...

I also subjected myself to a Ducati Monster some years ago, but I'll probably sell that this summer to make room for something else.

Cheers,
-- Mike

Mike, So your the one who beat me to that beauty. I had eyeballed that car the weekend prior and went in the following weekend to possibly purchase and the sales guy said you had literally put a deposit down an hour before i got there. Oh well; congrats it is a really nice car. I'm headed to chicago tomorrow to hopefully pickup my new ride.

mikehelms 03-10-2011 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by 996dave (Post 8372439)
Mike, So your the one who beat me to that beauty. I had eyeballed that car the weekend prior and went in the following weekend to possibly purchase and the sales guy said you had literally put a deposit down an hour before i got there. Oh well; congrats it is a really nice car. I'm headed to chicago tomorrow to hopefully pickup my new ride.

Sorry Dave! It's a unique color combination and I had a feeling it would go quickly ... looks like I was right about that. :-)

Whatcha picking up in Chicago? Beautiful city it is ... you should have a fun ride home.

Cheers,
-- Mike

francars 03-10-2011 05:13 PM

Hey Mike

Welcome to RL and thanks for sharing pics. That is a very good find! Whites are rare to find with that low miles IMO. Enjoy!

Hapich 03-10-2011 05:50 PM

I thought that was not the best interior color but I have changed my mind. It looks billy bad ass. Great car!

mikehelms 03-10-2011 05:53 PM

Hapich, it's a "love it or hate it" interior. We had to sop up my best friend's drool when he saw the interior; his wife just shook her head and muttered something about not having any purses that would match it. My fiancée loves it, but she's declared it a "man cave" (which means she probably wouldn't pick it for herself). And I'm OK with that. :thumbsup:

I'm still charmed and amused by the back seats. I'm fairly certain my Springer Spaniel will fit back there ... almost.

I just picked up the headphone jack plugin for the CDR 220 radio (and the little blade tools for sliding out the radio) ... now I just need to figure out where to route the wire to.

Cheers,
-- Mike

Hapich 03-10-2011 06:04 PM

I can barely. I mean barley fit my golf clubs in the back seats!! LOL. There should be no back seats. Maybe if the driver is 5'3" or smaller.

nick49 03-10-2011 06:05 PM

Nice car! White looks very nice on P cars and shows off their lines nicely. Back in '98 I had a Boxster special ordered, Arctic Silver with full leather in Boxster Red, which btw your interior color is called. Terra Cotta is different and a bit more brown I believe and came later for the 997s.

You'll like the mechanical throttle of the '99 and the headlights too! Enjoy!~