X51 engine swap - what's involved?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:10 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by JOL
I'm assuming that the dealer "borrowed" another's car's vin number?
JOL - Yes, in my case, that's how it was done - they used the VIN from my other car. You might want to PM Todd if he has a different way of doing it that works and doesn't require that info - my dealer wasn't aware of any another way, though. I'm just giving you the heads up with what happened in my case. If your dealer orders the engine and does the install, it might be a different story. Keep us posted!
Old 03-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Todd Holyoak
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes I have done it before. My Boxster has an X51 engine in it. The only thing you need the VIN number for is to obtain the IPAS codes that allows for programming of the DME. This is not specific to the X51, these codes are needed anytime you want to reprogram or remap the DME using the PST2 or PIWIS. The VIN of the car does not need to be 'authorized' to be programmed to the X51 maps.

-Todd

Originally Posted by garrett376
Todd, have you done this before? Yes, it CAN be done on any 996 so what you say is correct... I'm not sure what part of what I said isn't true?! I don't know what an IPAS code is... but the software on the dealer's PIWIS requires a VIN that is authorized to have an x51. This is as of August 2010. I'm just reporting how it went down in my case, which I did every part of the swap except the software upload, in which case I stood and watched while it was performed (and paid the $70).
Old 03-10-2011, 04:04 PM
JOL
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does any one what Porsche's flat rate is for swapping out an engine?

Quick Reply: X51 engine swap - what's involved?