Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What is the best weight of Mobil 1 for DEs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
A triple ditto...........Blue Moon with orange wedges. Might be time for the Lemoncello real soon.
What's with the fruit with Blue Moon?

Not too many days ago in a hotel restaurant I ordered a glass of Blue Moon (Spaten (sp?) tap busted) -- my first glass of Blue Moon -- and it came with a lemon wedge.

Then I was in this same hotel restaurant the other day and ordered another Blue Moon and this time the bartender asked me if I wanted lemon or orange with it?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster

Not too many days ago in a hotel restaurant I ordered a glass of Blue Moon (Spaten (sp?) tap busted) -- my first glass of Blue Moon -- and it came with a lemon wedge.

Then I was in this same hotel restaurant the other day and ordered another Blue Moon and this time the bartender asked me if I wanted lemon or orange with it?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Blue Moon is a yeast beer. The orange takes the edge off the beer. A kin to a lemon in a yeasty Weiss beer. The citrus cuts down on the head in both cases. But after few 5 or 6 doesn't much matter. They could throw a watermelon in their and I would never know.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:39 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

So are you suggesting to use blue moon for oil..... I should read the op post but I read enough of the oil/beer debate...
Old 03-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
A triple ditto...........Blue Moon with orange wedges. Might be time for the Lemoncello real soon.
Lemoncello?!? I was waiting for more posts after drinking that.

Originally Posted by Macster

Sincerely,

Macster.
I think this is the first OT post I've seen from you, Macster. Thanks.

My local pub puts orange slices on some and lemon on others. I don't think they fruit the Blue Moon. They have over a hundred on tap, and know better than I do. Oh, also they don't carry Bud, Miller, or Coors. Blasphemy!

Back to oil.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Can we PLEASE not jump on another noobie?

The lower number on oil weight, i.e. the 0 in 0W40 represents the weight equivalent viscosity of the oil at low temperature, while the higher number (40 in this case) represents the viscosity behavior at high temps. Porsche recommends 0W40 so that you have a low viscosity oil upon startup. Once the engine is hot, it makes no difference if you are running 0W40 or 5W40. I doubt very much if there would be any advantage to 5W40 over 0W40. A higher weight oil MIGHT be advantageous for tracking (ie some sort of 50 weight), but you are likely to give up the low temperature low viscosity behavior.

Bottom line, for the type of driving you describe (6 DE's a year and some street driving) I think 0W40 is fine, as is 5W40.
No
Old 03-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 49 Posts

Silkolene PRO S 10W-50
Old 03-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Divot
Lemoncello?!? I was waiting for more posts after drinking that.

Back to oil.
I tried to post but I couldn't make out the keyboard

Oil........I have 5-40 M1 but am going to Syntec or Motul for the next change.

Quick Reply: What is the best weight of Mobil 1 for DEs?