996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oil analysis with high Silicon proportions in a IMS hybrid bearing engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 11:53 AM
Pencap914
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Just got my UOA back, also had elevated levels of silicon (17ppm) that was not present during the first UOA I did upon purchasing the car. Hoping its due to me removing the sump plate and resealing it with silicon (don't remember what product I ended up using...) I did not remove the sump during this last oil change, so we'll have to wait until a put a few thousand miles on the car to see if it goes away. Oh and also, the previous owner did have one of those stupid K&N air filters, that I swapped out for a conventional paper MANN air filter about 1000 miles into this oil change, so I wonder if that has contributed to the high silicon levels.

Old 11-02-2022, 12:40 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by Pencap914
Just got my UOA back, also had elevated levels of silicon (17ppm) that was not present during the first UOA I did upon purchasing the car. Hoping its due to me removing the sump plate and resealing it with silicon (don't remember what product I ended up using...) I did not remove the sump during this last oil change, so we'll have to wait until a put a few thousand miles on the car to see if it goes away. Oh and also, the previous owner did have one of those stupid K&N air filters, that I swapped out for a conventional paper MANN air filter about 1000 miles into this oil change, so I wonder if that has contributed to the high silicon levels.

Anything but a paper filter will let more dirt into the engine, but if you resealed the sump, that always leaches silicon into the oil and is to be expected in the UOA.
The following users liked this post:
wab_jr (11-03-2022)

Quick Reply: Oil analysis with high Silicon proportions in a IMS hybrid bearing engine