Sponsored by:

weird steering wheel shake since flat tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts
Default weird steering wheel shake since flat tire

at 75MPH I get a shake that come and goes with a rythum.

It will shake stop, shake stop, shake stop at about the rythum is about a cycle every 4 seconds.

I had a flat tire not to long ago.
It was a rear, I repalced only that tire and the other tire rear has about 4000 miles on it.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-03-2011, 08:45 PM
mpd425
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the wheel balance or the wheel might be out of round.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:31 PM
GNR996
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

re-torquing the wheels? check for balance and run out?
Old 03-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
at 75MPH I get a shake that come and goes with a rythum.

It will shake stop, shake stop, shake stop at about the rythum is about a cycle every 4 seconds.

I had a flat tire not to long ago.
It was a rear, I repalced only that tire and the other tire rear has about 4000 miles on it.

Any thoughts?
Porsche guidelines caution against replacing just one tire when the tire wear is 30% or more.

I don't know if this can result in the symptom you report. Keep it in mind as you eliminate the other possible causes.

Chances are it is as others have suggested a tire balance problem, or a wheel mounting problem, even a tire inflation problem.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:37 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Contrary to popular I don't know so it doesn't make a difference.......

Here's added day dreams.
There is such a thing as over tightening lug nuts. Garage impact wrenches are good at it along with even tire irons in the hands of guys wanting a good tight fitting. It can permanently warp some models of wheels and rotors. Just in case there’s a chance of it happening to you. Yah rotors too.

A worn bearing can do the vibrations on and off up to wobbling hard but not normally in a rhythmic fashion. Feel the centers of the hubs for heat of a bad bearing. Just don’t try it after lots hard braking or it might confuse the symptoms. When the weird stuff is going on try steering hard right away during a vibration cycle which if its bad bearings it will force the bearing to not be able to vibrate. If it was bearings it should take a break for a while since you just jammed them up a bit.

Check what the rotars look like. If the brakes are dragging from water in the brake fluid then the rotors get hot and warp hence brakes tighter than normal against a warped rotor means vibrations. Just another bad thing that happens to stored cars not driven enough to keep the heat up in the fluids to keep moisture out. Worst case is the rust it can cause in the system and the water will stay in the rust making it impossible to bleed the water out and get rid of the problem till a tear down and replacement or clean up even inside of the calipers.

Only thing else new I can think of is if its a 4 wheel drive or some traction management thing being strange due to non-standard wheels and or tires.

Simple solution is get gobs of more horse power and keep the front wheels super light or all the way off the ground Wooo hoooo.

Oh yah, good luck with the problem.

Quick Reply: weird steering wheel shake since flat tire