Sponsored by:

HELP! Problem with coolant cover and coolant refill

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 02:17 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Question HELP! Problem with coolant cover and coolant refill

So I have this coolant leak around a metal plate on the engine block close to where the transmission meets the engine

Pic of the plate =>
Name:  Drawing1.jpg
Views: 5225
Size:  73.4 KB

I removed the plate and about 1.2 gallon of coolant gushed out . I caught almost all of it.

What's behind the plate =>
Name:  IMG_7076 (Large).jpg
Views: 4814
Size:  56.7 KB

Now I'm left with TWO PROBLEMS:

1) Per the Porsche catalogue, there is a gasket between the plate and the engine block but I don't have this gasket at all and my engine is stock.

Left to right, new gasket, new plate, old plate. So should I add this new gasket in between or just replace the old plate with the new one? The old one worked for 6yrs afterall =>
Name:  IMG_7077 (Large).jpg
Views: 4866
Size:  97.3 KB

2) With a full coolant tank, how do I refill the coolant?? Turn on the engine momentarily and the coolant from the tank should be sucked back to the engine? Any insight or tips will be much appreciated!

Last edited by Ahsai; 03-03-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:19 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

It was leaking that is why you took it off. Porsche makes updates all of the time. Put the new gasket on with the new cap.
Get one of the vacuum fill systems. That way you can be sure most of the air is out when you refill the system.
http://www.crookedriverwriter.com/in.../air-lift.html
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...YC9SCJJBMQ08GC
Old 03-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fpb111
It was leaking that is why you took it off. Porsche makes updates all of the time. Put the new gasket on with the new cap.
Get one of the vacuum fill systems. That way you can be sure most of the air is out when you refill the system.
http://www.crookedriverwriter.com/in.../air-lift.html
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...YC9SCJJBMQ08GC
Thanks, Frank. Yes, I also figured Porsche may have updated the design. However, the metal plate has a simple rubber gasket around it so it's not surprising it leaks due to age (8yrs). I don't have good experience with "double" gaskets and am afraid of leak afterwards and redoing the whole thing again. Hence the dilemma.

Re the vacuum tool, does it work if I still have significant amount of coolant in the system or I have to drain all of the coolant before using it? Our car has 6 gal of coolant and I have drained about 1.2 gal so I still have significant amount of coolant in the engine e.g., My coolant tank is still full now. I wonder if I could just get by with the simple bleeding per the WSM.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:38 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Frank. Yes, I also figured Porsche may have updated the design. However, the metal plate has a simple rubber gasket around it so it's not surprising it leaks due to age (8yrs). I don't have good experience with "double" gaskets and am afraid of leak afterwards and redoing the whole thing again. Hence the dilemma.
Sorry, I did not get that from the first reading. If it has an "O" ring I would not use the gasket. Just the "O" ring. The 6 yr old "O" ring probably got too hard to contain the coolant.

I have used the vacuum system on the 911 and our Mercedes. If the system is not empty the tool will just spit some coolant while it is pulling vacuum. You will need a pressurized air source to use the one that I referenced.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fpb111
Sorry, I did not get that from the first reading. If it has an "O" ring I would not use the gasket. Just the "O" ring. The 6 yr old "O" ring probably got too hard to contain the coolant.

I have used the vacuum system on the 911 and our Mercedes. If the system is not empty the tool will just spit some coolant while it is pulling vacuum. You will need a pressurized air source to use the one that I referenced.
Thanks Frank. I ended up not using the gasket and just replaced the plate with a new one and refilled from the coolant tank without vacuum tool. It took all the coolant that was drained out. I left the bleeder valve open and drove it a bit with some 5k rev, the coolant level is now a tad lower than MIN. Since I spilled some so that makes perfect sense. So it seems I got by this time w/o vacuum refill. Will monitor/refill in the next feel days with the bleeder valve OPEN.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:49 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Great, it should be fine. Just keep an eye on level and temp for a couple weeks.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:22 AM
dblvanos
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My coolant cover plate also leaked, replaced it, water pump, coolant flush, tank cap all at the same time.

Used the ECS vacuum tool https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...l/003466sch01/

I ordered tool and coolant from ECS, fairly simple to use, way easier than trying to pour nearly 6 gallons by hand into the system.
Attached Images   
Old 05-30-2017, 09:51 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Anyone have any really basic notes on how to use that setup? I know Ahasi did a write up.

I see a hose running into the engine bay? Whats that for?
Old 05-30-2017, 09:58 PM
dblvanos
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hose into engine bay is an exhaust hose for when building vacuum in the system. During that process I had it pointed down towards the floor, it just kinda sprung back up there for picture taking.

Instirctions that come with the unit are easy to follow.

Basically set the valves and run compressed air to build a vacuum in the system. Once vacuum is built set the valves to hold vacuum and let sit for a while make sure vacuum is held with no leaks. Then flip a valve and the vacuum in the system will suck coolant up from the 5 gallon bucket off coolant you have pre mixed.

Originally Posted by dan_189
Anyone have any really basic notes on how to use that setup? I know Ahasi did a write up.

I see a hose running into the engine bay? Whats that for?
Old 05-30-2017, 10:04 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Thanks to be honest it looks daunting applying a vacuum to suck in coolant it but it's sparked my curiosity.

I believe that Ahasi prescribed the value of 27PSI to start pulling in coolant?

What did you set your compressor to or do you adjust the PSI from the tool itself?
Old 05-30-2017, 11:23 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Thanks to be honest it looks daunting applying a vacuum to suck in coolant it but it's sparked my curiosity.

I believe that Ahasi prescribed the value of 27PSI to start pulling in coolant?

What did you set your compressor to or do you adjust the PSI from the tool itself?
You set the compressor to max (90-140PSI) to vacuum the system down to 27" Hg vacuum (27PSI was my typo. Meant to say 27" Hg).
Old 06-02-2017, 05:15 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ahsai
You set the compressor to max (90-140PSI) to vacuum the system down to 27" Hg vacuum (27PSI was my typo. Meant to say 27" Hg).
Thanks everyone looking for a vacuum tool now. I've seen a few with only one line/valve rather than two like yours.

One other question, where do you set the 27hg?
Old 06-02-2017, 09:02 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Okayy so I've done some more research and I think I understand this system.

Attatch the gauge with the correct collar, connect air compressor gauge will then show a vacuum run until the gauge hits 27 Hg then disconnect line. Connect other line with the other end in the coolant bucket, open valve and watch the coolant get sucked into the system!

Two questions:

​​​​​​1. What happens to the air in the line before the coolant gets sucked in? Does it purge through the system and back out?
​​​​​
2. What happens when all the coolant get sucked in and youre at the bottom of the bucket? Do you turn off the vacuum before it can suck in any air and top the rest of the coolant up by hand? At that point can you remove the unit? What happens if there is still a slight vacuum or is that not possible?
​​​​
Old 06-02-2017, 09:55 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Okayy so I've done some more research and I think I understand this system.

Attatch the gauge with the correct collar, connect air compressor gauge will then show a vacuum run until the gauge hits 27 Hg then disconnect line. Connect other line with the other end in the coolant bucket, open valve and watch the coolant get sucked into the system!

Two questions:

​​​​​​1. What happens to the air in the line before the coolant gets sucked in? Does it purge through the system and back out?
​​​​​
2. What happens when all the coolant get sucked in and youre at the bottom of the bucket? Do you turn off the vacuum before it can suck in any air and top the rest of the coolant up by hand? At that point can you remove the unit? What happens if there is still a slight vacuum or is that not possible?
​​​​
1. It gets sucked into the coolant tank but don't worry about it.
2. Actually you turn off the vacuum even before refilling with coolant so there is no way to suck in more than the system can hold.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:15 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ahsai
1. It gets sucked into the coolant tank but don't worry about it.
2. Actually you turn off the vacuum even before refilling with coolant so there is no way to suck in more than the system can hold.
Thanks Ahsai, I've now got for find a decent tool. Here they seem to range from about $60-$400.

Quick Reply: HELP! Problem with coolant cover and coolant refill